Limbo and Purgatory?

I have developed some questions involving Limbo and Purgatory. I am not sure if I beleive in either thus why I post. Here are the questions:

How did the names Purgatory and Limbo originate? What verses support the ideas? Why would a loving God allow an innocent child un-baptized to go to part of Hell? Do un-baptized dead children still go to Limbo in current times, or did the death of Christ save them from this fate as the ones in Limbo before Christ were saved? Why would praying for a dead person help that person accend higher into Purgatory?

welcome to the forums, I see a lot of your questions are about the basics, good news for newbies: check out the CA homepage and library for articles on the basic topics - Mary, Salvation, Scripture, the Pope etc. Then if you have more detailed questions, come on in over here. This really will save you a lot of time. also, don’t forget the stickies at the top of each forum with rules and tips. third thing, you can do a search of the forums, most of these questions have been answered a gazillion times so you will find a lot on them.

[quote=Newanda]I have developed some questions involving Limbo and Purgatory. I am not sure if I beleive in either thus why I post. Here are the questions:

How did the names Purgatory and Limbo originate?
[/quote]

Purgatory is a place or time of purgation. You are being purged of your sins (or the penalties for them.)

“Limbo” comes from “Limes” or border.

Purgatory comes from the earliest Church – Christ arose after descending to the dead. The early Chuch had a tradition that those who died before Christ and were worthy were brought to heaven by Him at that time.

He doesn’t – Limbo was never conceived as “part of Hell.”

Limbo is theological speculation – not established Church doctrine. And recently has been discounted.

Why would you think it does? We pray for people to help them, just as we pray to God to help us. How He helps them is something for Him to decide.

[quote=Newanda]I have developed some questions involving Limbo and Purgatory. I am not sure if I beleive in either thus why I post. Here are the questions:

How did the names Purgatory and Limbo originate? What verses support the ideas? Why would a loving God allow an innocent child un-baptized to go to part of Hell? Do un-baptized dead children still go to Limbo in current times, or did the death of Christ save them from this fate as the ones in Limbo before Christ were saved? Why would praying for a dead person help that person accend higher into Purgatory?
[/quote]

Un-baptized children go wherever they have always gone. We just don’t know where that is with any certainty. Some proposed “Limbo” which from the Latin means “fringe” or “edge”. Purgatory is a place of “purgation” or “cleansing”. It is based on the fact that Scripture speaks of some sins that are forgiven in the next life…

Purgatory is not necessarily a place, it is a process at the very least we all go through prior to heaven. The good news is, the cleansing merits of Jesus’ sacrifice is applied in purgatory, but with the knowledge that if you are going through purgatory you are saved!!!

I’d rather go through purgatory than go to hell, lol. Sounds like a good deal to me!:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.