Limbo

I believe the Church teaches that unbaptized infants (whether miscarried, aborted, victims of infanticide, illness, murder etc.) do not go to Heaven, but a state of perpetual bliss known as limbo.
What is the justification for such a teaching?
I believe the fact that the soul in question still has the stain of original sin. They’ve not been given to opportunity to accept the gift of salvation and furthermore through God’s grace be brought to Heaven and they also haven’t been given the opportunity to reject it. They’ve neither merited the gift of heaven nor merited damnation.
So what is God to do? Because of the stain of original sin they infant’s (or also mentally handcapped) soul can not enter into the full glory of heaven! But, God is merciful and on the fringes of Heaven is a place known as Limbo where the soul has not itself rejected Christ but has also not accepted Christ. They know they are unworthy because of this stain, but they are given the gift of being in the radiance of His glory, not fully in His glory.
But here’s the real question: Do these souls stay in limbo forever or at the final judgement are the gates of Heaven opened for them? If they are let in, what is the justification for this? If they are eternally on the fringes of Heaven, how is this justified?
Just wanted to complicate things for you guys :wink:
Peace and Love
Mordocai

Eh, that is one of many speculations, I do not believe that word is even found in the catechism.

The official teaching is that they are entrusted to the Mercy of God.

Yes, the official teaching is that we must entrust them to the mercy of God.

The limbo of the unbaptized infants was always a theological speculation, never a doctrine. It was hypothesized as a possible solution to the problem you have outlined. But the fact is, God has not revealed the answer to that problem. Both his justice and his mercy are infinite, and they are not opposed. We entrust the unbaptized infants to God.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.