Limited Atonement

Christ died for the elect and for the world…

His death was sufficient for all…

1 John 2:2 KJV 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Hebrews 2:9 KJV 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

1 Timothy 2:6 KJV 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

But His death is only efficient for the elect…

Matthew 1:21 KJV 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save **his people **from their sins.

John 10:15 KJV 15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 6:39 KJV 39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, **that of all which he hath given me **I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 17:9 KJV 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

It makes sense - why would the sins of those who would not believe be paid for on the cross??? They will only be paid for by the one who is being punished…those sins did not fall on Christ but will only fall on the condemned.

Check out this thread. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=140123

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.