Limited Atonement

I wanted to post as my first posting something about the limited atonement. This falls in line with predestination and election since only those that will believe (the elect) will be saved. The payment for their sins has been made by Christ while all others will pay the penalty of eternal death for eternity on their own. The limited atonement is made evident in scripture in such places…

1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
Ro 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead (only Christians all died to become alive in Him):

Joh 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Joh 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

I would say here that, in a sense, he is the Savior of all men in that the reprobate are still living - once the elect are gathered up, however, they will be judged on the earth…recall Abraham asking God if he will withhold judgment if any righteous are present in the city…we are the salt of the earth (which is a preservative)

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Seeing this also…that…

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

AND…

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

The limited atonement is only so - simply because only the elect will come and be justified. Is this proper understanding?

PAM O.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.