The other thread became kind of convoluted. Dava4444 suggested starting a list and I think it is a good idea for people who are interested in such games and don’t want to skim through a 5 page thread.
Anyway, I am listing games that showcase the Catholic faith as a part of its theme and setting, and off course, portray it in a friendly and positive light. Please contribute to the thread if you know of such games that qualify, I will update the list when possible. Games with such themes are actually quite unusual…
- Castlevania series: These games contain a lot of Catholic imagery and themes. In Castlevania III Belmont prays before a cross before chasing after Dracula, Frankenstein and the classic villains of the series. All games in the series contain such imagery. Catholic sacraments are used by characters as weapons, power-ups and etc.
** - Fahrenheit (aka: Indigo Prophecy)**: One of the main characters of the game is a Catholic priest. This character serves as the main moral compass as the story plays out and the section of the game where you control him is full of religious themes.
- Dracula: Path of the Dragon: The main character is an italian priest sent by the Vatican to post-WWI Romenia to investigate the case of local miracles. Needless to say, he ends up facing up against good old Dracula. A full version of the Latin Vulgate can be acessed and read through the character’s inventory through most of the game.(Warning: there are two versions of this game with differing qualities. Play the original one)
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers: Failed pulp writer discovers he is heir to a centuries old bloodline of catholic inquisitors and witchunters, ends up facing a murderous voodoo cult in New Orleans. The game is full of Catholic imagery and themes and quite certainly one of the best point and click adventures ever made.
- The Black Mirror Trilogy: Tells the saga of the Gordons, the cursed descendants of a medieval crusader that struck a deal with the devil. Religious themes abound specially in the third and final game, with exorcisms and the Vatican playing a role in the plot. Both protagonists are(or eventually become) Catholics.
- Adam’s Venture: A series of episodic games developed as family-friendly Christian games.