List of infallible teachings

Why doesn’t the church publish a list of infallible teachings?

I’m not sure but think it is because of the rarity of infallible statements.

here is a link to wikipedia regarding papal infallibility

remember wikipedia can be modified by anyone
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

i hope someone can provide a better answer

Try Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma. infallible pronuncements are not limited to the extraordinary magisterium of the Pope. :slight_smile:

Who says She doesn’t publish a list of infallible teachings?

This link should take you to the online Catechism-- vatican.va/archive/catechism
where you can read, in the APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION
FIDEI DEPOSITUM, John Paul II’s words on the publication of the Catechism:

…3. The Doctrinal Value of the Text
The Catechism of the Catholic Church, which I approved 25 June last and the publication of which I today order by virtue of my Apostolic Authority, is a statement of the Church’s faith and of catholic doctrine, attested to or illumined by Sacred Scripture, the Apostolic Tradition and the Church’s Magisterium. I declare it to be a sure norm for teaching the faith

and below we read in the Prologue:

10 … The Extraordinary Synod of Bishops in 1985 asked "that a catechism or compendium of all Catholic doctrine regarding both faith and morals be composed"13 The Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, made the Synod’s wish his own, acknowledging that "this desire wholly corresponds to a real need of the universal Church and of the particular Churches."14 He set in motion everything needed to carry out the Synod Fathers’ wish.

When we the faithful are told that the Pope, in communion with all the bishops, presents to the universal church, teachings on faith and morals–then we are getting something infallible–your infallible “list”, if you will.

Becuase it would be practically impossible to list it all–the depth of what God has revealed is immense.

Sorry, but the Catechism as a whole is not “infallible”.

This is correct.

The doctrines contained in the Catechism have the same level of authority as they did before they were contained in the Catechism.

Cardinal Ratzinger said on this matter, “The individual doctrines that the catechism affirms have no other authority than that which they already possess. What is important is the catechism in its totality: It reflects the church’s teaching; anyone who rejects it overall separates himself unequivocally from the faith and teaching of the church” (“The Catechism and the Optimism of the Redeemed,” 479)

Did I say the Catechism as a whole is infallible? I think I said it amounts to a “list” of infallible teachings. The OP asked for a list. This is the list, restated in modern parlance, expanded or emphasized according to current pastoral considerations, of infallible teachings. True, each teaching can be traced back through its prior articulations in history. The CCC gives us the teachings in their latest articulation.

The quotes from the CCC were posted so all can read directly the elements present of papal infallibility–the pope, speaking to the whole church, with authority, on matters of faith and morals. Obviously, it is the CCC’s conclusions or teachings which are preserved from error by the Holy Spirit–as distinct from argumentation, explanation and background to the conclusions.

This happens to agree with the Ratzinger statement.

OK, where’s the list?:smiley:

Hey, it is the Catechism :slight_smile: . The Church wants us to read it all, and she has buried the list in context. She is so often taken out of context that this time around she guarded against that eventuality; the down side is that the list is throughout the book: the book is all about the list. The Compendium, the newly released summary of the Catechism, has less context; it is more list, less book. I like its brevity.

OOH I know one “The sun revovles around the earth”…Believe it or be branded a heretic.

Good one. Prove it.

When will people stop buying into the tripe that the media passes off as history, and start reading actual sources about Gallileo? I find it funny that people think that heliocentrism was the primary issue in the Gallileo affair.

It’s good that myfavoritemartin picked an identifiable “infallible teaching”. Let’s stick to it. Let him take responsibility for his own words, and prove what he says: That the Church taught this :), let alone infallibly :smiley: .

I challenge him.

heliocentrism was never formally or officially condemned by the Catholic Church

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.