List of Mortal Sins

I NEED a list of mortal sins, to see what i may have done and confess it. Im not sure whats a mortal sin and whats not, and how do you know whats mortal and whats venial? ALSO if you believe in Jesus and are a good Catholic or Christian or whatever and are in the state of mortal sin, do you go to hell? That would defy John 3:16, which says if you believe you will not perish. So…how would we go to hell in state of mortal sin? I need a list of mortral sins because Satan is having a great time pounding me with every temptation of all sorts lately and I need to know what to confess asap. Thanks.

Do you have a copy of the “Catechism of the Catholic Church”? It explains mortal sin and lists some of the more common ones. There really isn’t a complete list.

This may be helpful:
from USCCB: Examination of Conscience

followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php

John 3:16 - you are listening to Protestant interpretations of this (protesting the Catholic Faith).
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son He sent Jesus, saying all that Jesus said, being the promised Messiah, King, who established his Kingdom, and set Peter and the Apostles as his Vicar and Magisterium, and who commanded them to baptize people into the Kingdom, and to grant them forgiveness of Mortal Sin when they were penitent. This is the only begotten Son that was sent.
That whosoever believes in him Whoever takes him at his word, all his words, all his establishments (the Church), “whoever hears you, hears me; whoever receives you receives me”, whoever comes in repentance to one of his priests.
Might not perish Mortal sin is ultimately defined as turning away from God so that you can secure some other temporal thing as your meaning in life, thus it is being in a state of perishing because you are not together with Jesus (in being united to him in his Church, which is what he wanted you to believe in if you believe in him). But coming in penitence to a Priest, you receive absolution through the Priest from Jesus, and you are suddenly friends with God again.
But have everlasting life You have it, and know you have it, because you “heard” with your own ears from the Priest the forgiveness of your sin (you did not make up a theory of forgiveness, but heard the words, and since you “believe in the only Son” you certainly believe that “If you listen to the Priest you are hearing Jesus say ‘your sins are forgiven, come follow me’”

If you wish to stop Satan and avoid temptations, simply also remember that you are a Citizen of Jesus’ Kingdom, and therefore you are his Subject and his Servant. He has things for you to do, and you don’t have “free time” to do things that your appetites want you to do. You are a servant, needing to be active at Jesus business, Think of the disciples walking around Galilee with Jesus: In the morning you just barely have time to clean up and get dressed to be ready to walk with Jesus when he comes back from praying in the hills. Judas, however, when he saw Jesus went to pray, got up and snuck away to count the money in the bag, and to estimate how much he could keep for himself so no one would notice any missing. Jesus returned from prayer, Judas was not around. So they began walking and talking, Jesus and the eleven. And they talked about Jesus’ forgiveness (7 times 70 times). As they finished, and the eleven knew there was forgiveness with Jesus, Judas came running to catch up, giving some excuse.
Later, two disciples betrayed Jesus - Judas and Peter - committing Mortal Sin, abandoning friendship with God. One was penitent, because he believed in Confession and Absolution and Penitence (he believed in Jesus’ explanation of what would happen if he returned in repentance) and he did not perish, but was granted forgiveness (so John 3:16 worked). The other was not repentant - he did not turn back and return to Jesus in confession of his Mortal Sin. And he perished. (John 3:16 worked, because Judas did not know or believe in Jesus since he abandoned Jesus to count his money and never confessed that either). Believing in Jesus means taking him seriously about his Church and about all he established with that Church, because that is where he “hands out” his blessings to us (in the sacraments).

If you are looking at sins to see if some are okay to do and others are not, you are behaving a bit like Judas, trying to guess how much money you can take from the common purse without it being enough for Jesus to know it and ask you to leave the band of disciples, to exit the Kingdom, to perish.

John Martin

I take issue with this list. As a few examples:

*Under mortal sins, NFP is not (inherently) one. As with any form of birth control, it’s sinful if used for the wrong reasons. But if you’re trying to avoid kids for just reason, then it’s very much the preferred option.

*It’s not even a venial sin to not pray daily.

*D&D is NOT a sin! Perhaps if, say, it purported to teach you actual magic or someone thought it was all real. But it doesn’t, and most people are sane enough to know reality from fiction.

*Nor is Catholic Memes. Not explicitly called out, but I’m sure the site would include it under making irreverent jokes.

*There’s nothing wrong with choosing to go to a Saturday Vigil Mass so you can go to an all-day event on Sunday.

First, it’s OK to go into the sacrament of reconciliation with a list of things you need to confess, irregardless of whether you feel they are a mortal sin or not.

Second, if you want to get technical, as stated previously by another, read the Cathechism. It’s not that hard to do. It’s easier to read than I thought. But, my reading came to a halt for a while when I encountered paragraph 1735.

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

So…what may at first thought seem to be a mortal sin may not be. I had a priest slam me for asking what this paragraph of the catechism meant. If I have a habit of sin, does this mean I can persist in it? Maybe there’s some hope of changing a habit. But, if I have a psychological problem, what hope is there for avoiding a mortal sin. The priest only applied this condition to the case of a psychopathic murderer, who may not be able to resist his urges. But, I think the paragraph must be applied more broadly, as broad as 1735 is in the first place.

The catechism calls homosexuality a grave disorder. Does that constitute a basis for diminishing or nullifying the responsibility for acting out on it?

I had sent my questions to this q and a column that is in the local Catholic newspaper. The printed answer didn’t really answer any of my questions. I sent a reply saying that to the priest, but that his inadequate answer helped me understand 1735 more. 1735 is really about God’s mercy, first of all. Second, it should be a guide for us in forgiving others, in my belief. I haven’t heard anybody explain it better than I have done in this paragraph.
(But, I’m waiting for that.)

So, the answer to the title question of this thread is, what is a mortal sin “depends.” It’s not a black and white issue. If you killed somebody in self-defense, you’d probably want to confess this as a sin, as a matter of conscience, to seek the forgiveness of God.

Ps 52: Blessed is the one whose fault is removed, whose sin is forgiven. Blessed is the man in whom the LORD imputes no guilt, in whose spirit there is no deceit.

WRT John 3:16: “Even the demons believe and tremble…” James 2:19 Church teachings are wholistic, not taken piecemeal from bits of Scripture.

As to sin: don’t worry if your sins are mortal or venial–God is the judge. When looking over your life, also consider what took you away from God or towards God. If playing D&D took someone away from God, that was sinful. If it’s just a game they play to hang out with friends, not so much.

I can’t find a copy of thsi online, bit the Jesuits have a formula which goes something like this: God created the world and everything in it to help us attain Heaven. Our goal is to attain Heaven. The things in the world which interfere with our attaining Heaven should be kicked out of our lives. (For example, FB mght lead someone to gossip; some friends may tempt people to commit sins of drunkenness or impurity; a job at a high-end mall could lead someone to coveting and envy–Doesn’t mean these things will have the same effect on everyone.)

Things which strenghen us on our journey to Heaven should be held onto. So, those books which edify and help us, doing things which allow us to enjoy God’s creation and be grateful for it [walks in the park, sports, even studying science], helping people in need, etc

Certain things are inherently sinful, like when a rich man steals from a poor man. So get a good examination of conscience for that. Here’s a basic one similar to one I frequently use.

Your confessions now will be major overt things. As you grow in the spiritual life, what you confess will become more subtle, as your sins will. Part of Confession is obtaining the grace to eliminate those things which deter your relationship with God. It’s not supposed to be just a To Do/To Avoid list, more like cooperating in turning yourself into a work of art for God

OP, this sounds like something that is sitting heavily on your heart. I would attribute this to the Holy Spirt working. For anyone to put together a complet list of sins would end up being hundreds of pages (or more) and there would be countless exceptions and points of clarification. Do you have a good relationship with your Priest? Or any Priest? Schedule a time for Confesion, let your Priest know the same things you said here, he will make sure he has time to help you. Going to face to face Confesion may be hard to do, but remember, you are there with the Priest in the person of Christ, he knows, he isn’t there to punish you, he is there to redeem you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you miss somthing the Holy Spirt will remind you and you can go to Confesion again.

M

So if a protestant was o good believer, but not catholic, and he or she committed a mortal sin, but than repented in his heart, because he or she did not believe in the sacrament of confession, and later he died, would he go to hell? Also thanks for the answers.

Always, Jesus Christ is the judge of us all.

As Fr. Mitch Pacwa of EWTN says, as far as we know, the sacrament of Reconciliation is the only way for the forgiveness of sins committed after Baptism. But, it’s easy to think of circumstances when one is prevented from taking this sacrament immediately before death. Jesus is the Judge.

Judaism understands the need for repentance for sins. They consider the remorse or dread immediately after committing a sin an occasion of repentance. If one does not repent of one’s sins at any other time, that’s what the observance of Yom Kippur is for, the annual day of atonement. Without a temple and animal sacrifice, atonement takes the form of prayer. Not to take advantage of repentance on YK is itself a grave sin, for wasting the opportunity.

Catholic or Jewish, repentance involves a ‘firm purpose of amendment’ of one’s life.

As Fr. Mitch Pacwa of EWTN says, as far as we know, the sacrament of Reconciliation is the only way for the forgiveness of sins committed after Baptism. But, it’s easy to think of circumstances when one is prevented from taking this sacrament immediately before death. Jesus is the Judge.

He would* agree *with the Churches Teaching regarding the grace of perfect contrition…

The Catechism and various good works of Mortal Theology, examinations of Conscience such as: A Contemporary Adult Guide To Conscience - For The Sacrament Of Confession
shop.catholic.com/tag/product/list/tagId/56/, works for the Spiritual life etc. A good confessor can answer questions too.

Such a reading of John 3:16 would be incomplete. It would take that verse out of context of the whole of the Scriptures (such as Johns first letter or Pauls Letters etc), the Teachings of Jesus and his Church.

One who exits this life in a state of mortal sin -yes has chosen hell. Let us turn quickly to Jesus the Good Shepherd…and return to the life of grace. True life in him.

This is excellent! Thank you!

I have done a lot of research into this and the longest list I can find is following this link:
[LIST]
*]followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php
[/LIST]
It also contains all the venial sins and impurities along with the requirements for sin and it can all be printed as PDF

Site is not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.