List of Protestant differences in Belief

Please list only items of belief that have a T/F or Y/N dichotomy. Please read the entire thread, and try not to duplicate anothers item.

If you believe that 2 items should be combined, list the new ‘combined’ item, along with your reasoning. Remember, T/F or Y/N only. Try not to duplicate posts.

I’ll begin with beliefs in Baptism…

1. Baptism necessary for Salvation
  2. Baptism necessary for Church Membership
  3. Baptism of Infants
  4. Baptism by Water
  5. Baptism by Immersion Only
  6. Baptism in the name of the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit only
  7. Baptism in Jesus’ name only

Any others?

Next is the Eucharist…

[quote=Isidore_AK]1. Baptism necessary for Salvation
2. Baptism necessary for Church Membership
3. Baptism of Infants
4. Baptism by Water
5. Baptism by Immersion Only
6. Baptism in the name of the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit only
7. Baptism in Jesus’ name only

Any others?

Next is the Eucharist…
[/quote]

1. Baptism by desire
  2. Baptism by blood (martyrdom)
  3. Baptism as a sacrament (bestows grace)

[This could be a near-endless list as topics go on]

1. Must be Baptized to receive Communion
  2. Communion at every service
  3. Only actual wine used in communion
  4. Only unleavened bread used in communion
  5. Wine and Bread truly turn into the Body & Blood (Real Presence)
  6. Communion just ‘in memory’

Any more?

Next: Salvation

I think the bestows Grace can be covered under necessary for salvation…

Lets try not to break it down too much…

1. bread and grape juice completely symbolic

2. consubstantiation

Salvation is:

1. OSAS- You cannot lose salvation no matter what you do
  2. Works required (*not counting Sacraments as ‘works’)
  3. Sacraments Required (any/all except Baptism- already listed)
  4. Predestination (Calvinistic predestination)
    More to follow…wanted to get this posted while I think…

Mickey-

I think your #14 (Communion Symbolic) & my #13 (Communion In Memory) are the same…any thoughts?

[quote=Isidore_AK]Mickey-

I think your #14 (Communion Symbolic) & my #13 (Communion In Memory) are the same…any thoughts?
[/quote]

Actually it was the “grape juice” that I thought might be a separate category. However, some protestants, maybe presbyterians?, I have heard believe in “The Real Presence”, but only in a memorial aspect, which seems contradictory. I’m confused about that one. But there are those who come right out and say “symbolic only”.

I am going to define a ‘denomination’ as a group of churches (organized or not, whether or not they even know each other exist) that officially teaches the same theology.

Following this definition, any number of non-denominational churches can be defined as a ‘denomination’ by their belief in the same theology. I think that this is fair.

Soooooo…if we do the math, and find just 1 church that believes in every possible combination of just the beliefs we have posted so far…thats 19 options…with a total of 12,645,100,408,832,000 possible combinations! Wow!

I think we can stop here! After seeing this (thats 12.65 quadrillion denominations!) I think that juuuuust maybe 36,000 is a very reasonable number…

I’m glad someone brought up the OSAS bit. And communion. Protestants, at least the ones I know, believe that the Lord’s Supper (communion) is only symbolic. The bread and wine are “symbolic” of the Lord’s body and blood. The meal is “symbolic,” only to “remember” Christ. And most don’t do it every week. How often they do it varies. One reason for this that I heard was that it kept people from taking it for granted. But isn’t that kinda the idea?

This is a futile exercise, since there are thousands of Protestant denominations and they teach contradictory things. To say “Protestants believe ‘X’ ”, is to say a statement that has no meaning, because there is no unity of faith to be found in the chaos of Protestantism.

List any doctrine of faith or morals that is taught by the Catholic Church. Somewhere there is a Protestant denomination that will deny that doctrine. There will also be Protestant denominations that accept that doctrine. There is only one exception to this rule, and that is this: every Protestant denomination denies that the living magisterium of the Catholic Church teaches infallibly on matters of faith and morals.

[quote=Matt16_18]This is a futile exercise, since there are thousands of Protestant denominations and they teach contradictory things. To say “Protestants believe ‘X’ ”, is to say a statement that has no meaning, because there is no unity of faith to be found in the chaos of Protestantism.
[/quote]

The point wasn’t to show what ‘Protestants’ in general believe, but to show how much they differ. Not only with us, but amongst themselves.

Exactly my point! It only takes 8 points of Theological difference to have 40,320 possible combinations of Protestant belief…so why is the 36,000 number so hard for them to accept?

[quote=Matt16_18]This is a futile exercise…
[/quote]

I must agree, this thread is silly. It was started to prove a good point but the means to acheive it are, well, murky.

Great plan, poor execution.

Isadore_AK,

Start another thread but with some more in it.

PS, I lived in AK for 10 years in the Anchorage area, where do you live? (If in AK)

Anchorage, Dimond & Jewel lake area.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.