List your favorite spiritual reading books

What spiritual reading books have helped you the most in your desire for spiritual growth? Name **only five **that you believe are the most important especially as a recommendation to others. It may be tempting to give a long list, but I’m looking for your top five. (other than the Bible)

I would list (not necessisarily in this order):

1. True Devotion to Mary by Louis Marie de Montfort
  2. Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
  3. Interial Castle by Teresa of Avilla
  4. Fire Within by Thomas Dubay
  5. The Story of a Soul, autobiography of Therese of Lisieux

Confessions by St Augustine of Hippo
Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence (OCD I believe)
On Loving God by St Bernard of Clairvaux
Introduction to the Devout Life by St Francis de Sales
Ascent of Mount Carmel by St John of the Cross

(does it really have to be only five? I’d also put Crossing the Threshold of Hope by JP2 in there)

The Bible
The Diary of St. Faustina
The Story of a Soul
The writings of Blessed Charles de Foucald

LilyM;4408334(does it really have to be only five? I’d also put Crossing the Threshold of Hope by JP2 in there

Yes, just five. It would be nice to see if certain books fall into the majority of top five lists. So it is OK to list a book or books that someone else listed.

• The Imitation of Christ
  • A Gift for God - Mother Teresa
  • Rule of St. Benedict
  • Mother Angelica’s Little Book of Life Lessons and
    Everyday Spirituality.
  • The Virtues - Romano Guardini

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

1. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  2. Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort
  3. True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort
  4. The Cathechism of the Catholic Church
  5. Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by Father John Croiset

I first needed to seriously believe that Jesus Christ was an important enough to figure to command my devotion to start following him, for which I commend the Case for Christ, written by a man educated at Yale Law, former legal editor the Chicago Tribune, with a lot of documentary evidence - atheist turned Protestant Pastor.

I then needed to understand the power of the most Holy Rosary in the midst of suffering to begin praying it on a regular basis, for which I commend the The Secret of the Rosary. It seemed that knowing that the Sacred Heart of Jesus existed and attempting to follow him by natural means secured me persecution and targetting by the evil one but no protection or support and not enough graces such as healing, love, perseverance, courage, wisdom etc. I also needed to know how to secure the powerful patronage and the graces of the Holy Spirit through devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mediatrix of all graces.

I then naturally followed from praying the most Holy Rosary to a devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the midst of struggles and could finally have the graces (perhaps given by regular praying of the most Holy Rosary) and free time to deepen my commitment to the Immaculate Heart of Mary by rereading True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin. I really think that my devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary came from the thought pattern - “Oh, my God, I need more help! Please help me! Show me the way! You’ve got to help me! Oh, this is the way! It sounds a little suspect, but I’ll do it. If it worked for Mother Theresa, St. Maximilian Maria, St. Therese of Liseux, and St. Padre Pio it works for me.”

As a practicing Catholic who was being questioned by others on the faith, I wanted to know what I believed in order to answer questions of myself and others, feel that I wasn’t the blind leading the blind, and potentially be blessed in other ways. Thus, came next the Cathechism of the Catholic Church, an intellectual exercise.

Finally, Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus probably came about because of my devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. My heart had been hard towards the Sacred Heart of Jesus, I couldn’t understand the purpose of his crucifixion, the reason for suffering in the world, and I did not trust him the slightest bit at all with my life. I sometimes would not say the Our Father completely when I said the most Holy Rosary and understood the meaning of what I was saying from the books The Secret of the Rosary and also The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa de Avila. Why would I want to pray, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” when I hardly believed that God was good or that his will would involve anything but pain.

Did I want to go through a Dark Night of the Soul after I read St. John of the Cross, No! Did I want a Cross to carry or suffering, No! I didn’t truly have great interest in learning about the Sacred Heart of Jesus or imitating his life or becoming spiritually perfect or a great saint, just interest in securing the powerful protection, help, and love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus helped me understand the love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, what it means when we read God is love. :heart: :heart:… I attribute the softening of my heart to frequent recitation of the Most Holy Rosary and my attempts to spread devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary as it was never softened before. :blush:

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
Secret of the Rosary montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
**Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin **saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesusen.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.

Well…I would actually have to list seven. They are the seven books of the IN CONVERSATION WITH GOD series by Francis Fernandez. These are daily readers, with about 3 pages a day of sound spiritual commentary on living a holy life in the secular world. They can be read year after year with greater understanding. I intend for these books to be my daily reading for the rest of my lifetime.

I am not yet that well read. But among my favorites:

1. Secret of the Rosary (St. Louis Marie de Montfort)
  2. Mary Day by Day (Catholic Book Publishing Co)
  3. The Glories of Mary (St. Alphonsus De Liguori – Doctor of the Church)
  4. “Calls” From the Message of Fatima (Sister Lucia)
  5. Magnificat (monthly subscription)

At least with the Magnificat, I get to read much of the best of many authors – and have daily scripture readings too. And with a monthly subscription I won’t run out of reading to do.

jmm08

1. Providence by Garrigou-Lagrange
  2. Divine Mercy in My Soul (St. Faustina’s Diary)
  3. God’s Fool: The Life and Times of Francis of Assisi by Julien Green
  4. A Right to Be Merry by Mother Mary Francis
  5. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Well, no one said they all had to be non-fiction! :slight_smile:

To quote Professor Tolkien:

"“The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision.”

~~ the phoenix

Whoa, I just saw my spelling error- #3 is supposed to be Interior Castle
I’m glad to see that some have listed “Secret of the Rosary” by Louis de Montfort.

The Story of a Soul and The Life of St. Gemma Galgani. I’m too dim for heavy theology, but I’ve been wanting to read the Imitation a lot because Therese liked it.

For my second set of five I would include
6. The Secret of the Rosary by Louis Marie De Montfort
7. Soul of the Apostolate by Jean-Baptiste Chautard
8. Particular Examen by James F. McElhone
9. Fatima in Lucia’s Own Words
10. Heart of the Redeemer by ?

The Imitation of Christ I, II, III (Does that count as one?)
Scripture
Sister Mary of the Holy Trinity
CAF :rolleyes:

Whatever question, problem, curiosity I happen to have and can find an answer to - wherever that happens to be.

Peace

John

angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/athepieta.html

Being a recent convert, I’m looking at these choices with great interest. My Catholic book is the Bible- beyond that I have next to nothing (and precious little money with which to afford anything :frowning: ).

The only contribution I have at present to the suggestions lists is my very favorite book, “The Case for Christ,” by Lee Strobel. I see it already has been recommended here by AveSantaMaria :thumbsup:. It’s truly fantastic and I strongly recommend it.

I’ll just continue reading the selections the others here offer, now, and take notes :).

1. Secrets of the Interior Life by Luis Martinez
  2. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
  3. Answers, Not Promises by Mother Angelica
  4. The Three Ways of the Spiritual Life by R. Garrigou-Lagrange
  5. Guidance to Heaven by Giovanni Bona

In no particular order, although Secrets of the Interior Life is probably the best, IMHO.

Rule of St. Benedict-this one I find helps me the most especially on a daily basis
The Psalms and other select passages that I’ve got highlighted or marked
The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis-I’m only about half way through this one but its been an awesome read and helpful in understanding God as GOD, if that makes sense.

1,2,&3: The Collected Writings of St Teresa of Avila
4&5: The Collected Letters of St Teresa of Avila.

That’s all five. If I had a 6th choice, I would want a biography of St Teresa of Avila added to that list.

[PS: Does anyone sense a:D pattern here???]

“Evolution of Consciousness” John Kuykendall is appealing in particular because it explains the Christian mysteries so everyone can understand them. The book evolves in stages as the reader is taken on a transforming journey through the layers of the mind, the parts of the mind and evolution. Among the themes explored are: Christ Consciousness, Trinity, and the Soul. It answers many questions and leads one to Christian Mysticism. I would recommend “Evolution of Consciousness” as a resource for spiritual renewal because the book outlines, with specific and practical guidelines, a life any person in the world—no matter their station—might adopt with great benefit. Here is ancient Christian wisdom written so contemporary Christians may understand.

The Evidential Power of Beauty: Science and Theology Meet (ISBN: 978-0898707526)

An Exorcist Tells His Story (ISBN:978-0898707106)

An Exorcist: More Stories (ISBN:978-0898709179)

The Incorruptibles: A Study of the Incorruption of the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati (ISBN:978-0895550668)

Padre Pio: Encounters with a Spiritual Daughter from Pietrelcina (ISBN 0972204407)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.