Listening to Music by Bad Artists

Hey!

Would listening to someone like Adam Lambert be sinful in any way? Thank you!

• JazzyElephants

Why would it? Is it vulgar?

I know he had some questionable stage performances, but if the music itself isn’t crass, and you can separate it from his other shenanigans, I would think it’s okay to enjoy.

I think questions like these depend on your intention. If it’s intention to listen to music you like, I don’t see that as a big issue.

If you’re doing it to support an artist because he has anti-Catholic positions, that’s when the conversation gets interesting.

Are you talking about morally bad or aesthetically bad?

I think he means (morally) bad artists.

This. If the music itself is against God, that’s one thing, but merely listening to a singer who may live an immoral lifestyle is not, in and of itself, in any way a sin. Do you refuse to buy from stores if the owner is a sinner? How about if the owner is selling sinful products? See the difference?

Why do you call him a “bad” artist?

I think he’s a great singer and performer. No it is not a sin to listen to his music!!!

I think he’s saying that he’s a bad person because he is gay.

Being gay does not make him a bad person. Homosexuality is bad but not necessarily the person whom the Church asks us to treat with respect.

CCC 2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. **They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. **Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.