Litany of the Saints

I posted this in the wrong forum before so I wanted to repost where it belongs. Thank you to the moderator who informed me I was in the wrong forum. Here is the original post. Any comments??

At the Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday evening, the Cantor sang the Litany of the Saints before the baptisms. This was the most moving of songs that I have heard in a long time. The richness and meaning was so humbling. I noticed that I was not the only one with tears. Has this happened to any of you with this or any other prayer that is put to song?

Our parish priest sings this every year at Easter Vigil in a Gregorian chant-type arrangement. He has the most beautiful voice, a true gift from God.

The church always has around 600 people in it for the Vigil and there is total silence while he is chanting, even the young ones sit totally transfixed by it and by him. He's a good priest anyway and we appreciate him, but this one event in the year, he really does have everyone's total attention. :)

As for tears, I usually end up in tears at some point during Mass anyway. :o

The Litany is truly beautiful, and is a highlight of the vigil for me. I was very pleased that it was included at our parish despite there not being any baptisms.

This is a version I listen to regularly:
youtube.com/watch?v=jb23Z5X3uhA

As for other hymns there are a lot that I find very moving, too many to list them all. Often it is the simplest hymns which strike me - Jesus, Remember Me When You Come Into Your Kingdom (the Taize version) jumps into my mind given last weekend :).

All the best

Martin

Thank you Martin for the link to listen. It has really captured my attention since Sunday and I find myself reading and learning. I think that is what I love so much about the Church, there is always so much more to learn and it takes a lifetime.:)

[quote="Netty1, post:2, topic:321333"]
Our parish priest sings this every year at Easter Vigil in a Gregorian chant-type arrangement. He has the most beautiful voice, a true gift from God.

The church always has around 600 people in it for the Vigil and there is total silence while he is chanting, even the young ones sit totally transfixed by it and by him. He's a good priest anyway and we appreciate him, but this one event in the year, he really does have everyone's total attention. :)

As for tears, I usually end up in tears at some point during Mass anyway. :o

[/quote]

Wow how exciting that must be Netty1. I cry at every Mass. It is usually when I receive Communion or it could be at the Gloria or Hosanna or just about anything so I totally understand that.:p

I was going to cry as the Easter Proclamation was taking place. Forced myself not to do it because I had the candle in my hands. :P

There is a beautiful version available on iTunes by Veronica Morrissey. Gives me chills every time!

[quote="Martin15, post:3, topic:321333"]
The Litany is truly beautiful, and is a highlight of the vigil for me. I was very pleased that it was included at our parish despite there not being any baptisms.

This is a version I listen to regularly:
youtube.com/watch?v=jb23Z5X3uhA

As for other hymns there are a lot that I find very moving, too many to list them all. Often it is the simplest hymns which strike me - Jesus, Remember Me When You Come Into Your Kingdom (the Taize version) jumps into my mind given last weekend :).

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

:D

[quote="Leslie12012003, post:1, topic:321333"]
I posted this in the wrong forum before so I wanted to repost where it belongs. Thank you to the moderator who informed me I was in the wrong forum. Here is the original post. Any comments??

At the Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday evening, the Cantor sang the Litany of the Saints before the baptisms. This was the most moving of songs that I have heard in a long time. The richness and meaning was so humbling. I noticed that I was not the only one with tears. Has this happened to any of you with this or any other prayer that is put to song?

[/quote]

YES !!!!! I'm a 1 year old Catholic convert and didn't know what was coming-WOW, very powerful and humbling. I felt the presence of those precious Saints there praying for us!!!!
mlz

If you've never heard it, I recommend the Becker setting found in OCP. Beautiful!

The Litany of the Saints is one of my very favourites, but we never have it any more. The Easter Vigil was very moving this year, but I suspect if I want to hear the Litany of the Saints in our church again, I will have to find someone to Baptise!

Yes, it moves me to tears.....back when I came into the church, i heard it the first time as i walked from my pew back to the baptismal fount.....I was moved to lots of tears thinking of the saints praying for us and being witnesses to our baptism, confirmation, and first communion.....Wow, it's just a beautiful song.

Hmmm, I heard the Litany of the saints watching a infant baptism on youtube maybe a year ago or more. I though it was beautiful. I never thought that I would hear it again as I was kneeling infront of the whole church just minuets before me and the others were baptized. Im sure it is somthing I will not soon forget. It was quite moving thinking about all those saints in Heaven actually praying for us.

[quote="mercyangel, post:7, topic:321333"]
There is a beautiful version available on iTunes by Veronica Morrissey. Gives me chills every time!

[/quote]

That's not actually The Litany of the Saints. It's just a song called Litany of the Saints. It's not approved for use during the liturgy. What people don't realize is that in Roman Missal where it specifies to pray the Litany of the Saints, it has specific text that is to be included, including using the title "St" before each invocation. The version you cite leaves this out and invokes non-saints. Origin is not a saint. Also, the Litany of the Saints is specifically ordered as a hierarchy. This is left out on these non-Gregorian Chant versions. Finally, and quite importantly, there are specific intercessory prayers for the person(s) it's being prayed for depending on the event. (ie: baptism, ordinations, virgin consecrations, etc). The secular adaptative versions don't include this, thus making it illicit for use during the liturgy, and robbing the person(s) it's being prayed for of specific interfessions from the saints.

JUST SAY NO TO SECULAR ADAPTATIONS OF THE LITANY OF THE SAINTS!

Hi Deo Gratias

I knew what you said about there being a hierarchy, but do you have a link to any guidance on the order? For example I know extra Saints can be added, but they must be added to the appropriate section.

Thanks

Martin

The litany of the saints is used as part of the rite ordination and baptism what you all probably know

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.