Literary Offences of Dan Brown

I’ve never read any of Dan Brown’s books but apparently he is a one-man Bulwer-Lytton contest. In the UK The Telegraph has cataloged 20 of his worst sentences and they are certainly impressive – not in a good way.

A few samples:

19. The Da Vinci Code, chapter 83: “The Knights Templar were warriors,” Teabing reminded, the sound of his aluminum crutches echoing in this reverberant space.
“Remind” is a transitive verb – you need to remind someone of something. You can’t just remind. And if the crutches echo, we know the space is reverberant.

16. The Da Vinci Code, chapter 4: A voice spoke, chillingly close. “Do not move.” On his hands and knees, the curator froze, turning his head slowly. Only fifteen feet away, outside the sealed gate, the mountainous silhouette of his attacker stared through the iron bars. He was broad and tall, with ghost-pale skin and thinning white hair. His irises were pink with dark red pupils.
A silhouette with white hair and pink irises stood chillingly close but 15 feet away. What’s wrong with this picture?

**5. Angels and Demons, chapter 4:**learning the ropes in the trenches
Learning the ropes (of a naval ship) while in the trenches (with the army in the First World War). It’s a military education, certainly

So next time you tell someone all the reasons you don’t read Mr Brown’s books you can add – and he’s a horrible writer to boot!

Bravo!! Enough said!

…Been saying it for years… :rolleyes:

tee
But still on the library’s waiting list to read – and wallow in the badness of – The Lost Symbol

I read some of the excerpts on Dan Brown’s website, and one of my favorites was the line about a woman whose hair was “long enough to be sexy but short enough to let you know she was probably smarter than you.” Oh, yeah, I can picture that exactly! :rolleyes:

Didn’t he overuse the adverbs? :p:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.