Literature for non-catholics

I’ve got some money and free time (which is weird because im still in school) but my semester is relatively easy so i would like to start reading some books about the Catholic Faith. Other than the Catechism (which i’m reading now) what would some good starting books be? My Grandfather is Catholic so I know a few things already but I would like to read a good book that you found helped to either “solidify” or “strengthen” your testimony in the Church.

Thanks

I’m curious to see what others have to say. My wishlist on Amazon is about a mile long and seems to get longer every day. I recently finished Scott Hahn’s newest book, Consuming the Word. It was short and very readable and found it helpful regarding the New Testament and the Eucharist. I am a third of the way through Fulton Sheen’s book on Mary, the World’s First Love. I love this book so much I already ordered his book ‘The Life of Christ’. I also have the book Glimpses of the Early Church Fathers which gives you writings of the ECF. Back at BYU, I read St Augustine’s Confessions. I don’t remember much about it but it did really affect me at the time.

I really enjoyed “Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic” by Currie

Also Father Barron’s book “Catholicism”

Watch ALL of Fr Barron’s YouTube videos!

Best wishes on your discernment. Keep seeking the TRUTH

If you are coming from the LDS, a basic book of theology would be very important.

I recommend: Theology for Beginners by Frank J. Sheed.

The other answers on here are wonderful. One book I found helpful was “Catholic Questions, Wise Answers.” My RC Priest gave it to me upon learning I am going to enter the Church, and it has a ton of questions and answers about the Catholic Church, with many about the history of the Church and the “why is this…” or the infamous “why do Catholics…” Here’s a link for it: amazon.com/Catholic-Questions-Answers-Michael-Daley/dp/0867163984 I hope I could help you out!

Surprised by Truth by Patrick Madrid features 11 converts from various backgrounds.

Many thanks to everyone’s suggestions! My wish list is getting longer! Also, Irishman, I have found Catholic Answers Live to be very helpful. I listen to it on my way home from work everyday and I have learned a lot.

I enjoy books regarding early Church history. I would recommend:

Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words by Rod Bennett
The Twelve: The Lives of the Apostles After Calvary by C. Bernard Ruffin
The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin
The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquillina
Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre

:slight_smile:

A couple of easy books to begin with are:
Why Do Catholic Genuflect by Al Kresta
Catholicism for Dummies. (There is a new updated version.)

I would start with these since they provide a strong basic foundation which is important if you wish to read more harder theological ones later.

SG

Wonderful stuff thank you! And thank you to the people that PM me and sent me stuff also. Very insightful readings for me!

*Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots by Scott Hahn
*Crossing The Tiber by Steve Ray
*The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin
*Many Are Called: Rediscovering the Glory of the Priesthood by Scott Hahn.

**The Crucified Rabbi: Judaism and the Origins of Catholic Christianity by Taylor Marshall

Peace,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.