Lithograph of Christ. Name of Artist? Artwork?

I was hoping that you would be able to help me find the name of the artist along with the name of this piece of Art?

I’m a bit confused why would a clown (if that’s what he is) be making his way to hell?

I tried looking for this same piece online but came up with nothing :shrug:…This was scanned so it might not show up or be as clear but the artwork I’m referring to is on the top left.

It states:

" A popular lithograph shows Christ waiting to welcome the saved in heaven, while the sinners make their way to hell."

From the book “1000 Faces of God” by: Rebecca Hind- Page.130 Cosmology of God

amazon.com/1000-Faces-God-Rebecca-Hind/dp/1844428729

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

God bless,
goforgoal

Great post! It’s very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

Watch Horrible Bosses Online Free

Sorry but I can’t see the image properly. Isn’t there an list of the images used in the book?

If that clown happened to be Pogo the Clown / John Wayne Gacy then it would make perfect sense. But I doubt that is what the artist had in mind, even if this is a contemporary piece of art.

I’m afraid I can’t make out the image, so I don’t know who the artist is. However, I will take a wild stab at the intention of the artist based on your description of a clown (or someone who looks clownish) on the way to hell. It is possible that the artist wanted to call to mind Psalm 14, especially if the clown is supposed to be a symbolic representation of being foolish in the eyes of God:

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds,
there is none that does good.
The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
to see if there are any that act wisely,
that seek after God.
They have all gone astray, they are all alike corrupt;
there is none that does good,
no, not one. (Psalm 14:1-3, RSV)

Sorry, the image isn’t “click-able.” :o

No, this one mentions no name of the artist or artwork.:confused:

How embarrassing I thought the image would download as an attached thumbnail not only that it appears really blurry so you most likely wouldn’t be able to see anything. :o

I sincerely apologize for this and for any confusion. :confused:

Saintlucy- I’m sorry there is no list of the image used in the book that’s why I thought I would ask here.

EricFilmer- I have to admit when I first saw the artwork of the clown I felt sorry for him because he was making his way to hell than I thought well maybe he had pride, greed, lies, stealing, etc. :shrug:

Another thing the clown appears to be carrying/playing a lute.

But, thank you kindly and God bless you for the explanation and for providing Psalms 14-1:3)

Here is a similar image/artwork of what I am referring to

flickr.com/photos/trialsanderrors/2804789890/

Although, in the book or the image that didn’t turn out. I recognize St. Teresa of Avila (or at least a Discalced Carmelite Saint) and I think St. Francis Xavier Cabrini helping people and making their way to Heaven. There is also a dark-skinned woman which could be Maa Durga (I could be totally incorrect about this) riding a lion making her way to hell.

The road isn’t straight either but it is a spiral road. Another thing I noticed that the words on this piece of art are either Latin or French.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

God bless,
goforgoal

Oops! I made mistakes anyways I don’t think the Saint is St. Francis Xavier Cabrini, she is wearing a dark/black habit with a bit of white, wearing a cornette, has a small red cross on her shoulder, and is with children. The other mistake I made was the dark-skinned woman is riding a 3-headed dragon not a lion like I stated.

Sorry about this…

God bless,
goforgoal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.