Little Big Bang to unlock secrets of the universe

irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0910/breaking6.htm

Well, we’re still here. So I guess no black holes were created.

• Kathie :bowdown:

A couple of videos on the LHC and the search for the Higgs:

youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=MQNPpeVvZ9w&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=_XbKZwXK-3c&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=A1L2xODZSI4&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=z7yZ5LEL5es&feature=related

A seventeen year old girl has committed suicide after watching news on the LHC:

news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1663430

Well, they only sent one beam through the LHC today. They haven’t tried colliding anything yet. According to the experts, even if a miniscule black hole was created by the collision, it would be too unstable to last for more than an instant and would collapse. The earth isn’t a vacuum like space.

stephan hawking said it would be safe so i have no worries until someone smarter and more qualified on the subject says otherwise.

And they know this how?

Over the course of history, more theories have been proven false than have been proven correct. But if they’re wrong about this one, then it really won’t matter whether much to us.

arguments based on personal incredulity and false analogies are not of much value. do you have any specific reasons why you think the world is at Risk?

I don’t. I’m just pointing out that much of what is known about black holes is theoretical. When a scientist gives “assurances”, especially about something like black holes, I tend to take that assurance with a grain of salt.

How about an assurance from God Who tells us in His INFALLIBLE Word that the meek shall inherit the earth. If the earth were to be swallowed up by a black hole, there would be no earth for the meek to inherit.

Is there any theory that has been proven correct? You are indeed correct that many theories have been proven false. In fact, according to Popper, science is driven by attempting to falsify (instead of confirming, or “proving”) hypotheses.

If you want to worry about existential risks, I recommend this website. Personally, I have more fear in Paul Ehrlich type of scenarios.

SeekerJen is indeed correct that the black holes will evaporate via Hawking radiation.

This is the exact reason why I’m not concerned.

I’m just not going to put my faith in a scientist’s assurances on something that up until the past decade or so was theoretical to begin with.

The world won’t end until Jesus comes again in glory to judge the living and the dead, so I have no worries about black holes. :slight_smile:

You’re right of course. When a theory is proven, it’s no longer a theory.

If you want to worry about existential risks, I recommend this website. Personally, I have more fear in Paul Ehrlich type of scenarios.

SeekerJen is indeed correct that the black holes will evaporate via Hawking radiation.

Who said I’m worried??

For $6 billion, it better do something special. Seems like a waste of money to me.:shrug:

One of the many facinating aspects of this story is how the experiment is being conducted on such a faith-based level. Hawking Radiation is a theory that has not been observed in nature or science as of yet, and even the physicists at CERN report that “in theory” things such as minature black holes, strange particles, and all kinds of other universe erasing possibilities exist.

Basically they are 99.9999999% sure that if a black hole did develop it would evaporate within a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a second. They have faith that nothing world shattering will happen. Hope they’re right!

:shrug:

A letter in the London Times did point out the other day that it is curious that we have never apparently been contacted by another intelligent life form in the Universe when the Universe ought to be teeming with them. On the other hand there are apparently numerous Black Holes in the Universe. You see what he was getting at? There may have been zillions of alien scientists at various times busy telling the other aliens “No - we are 99.9999%
sure this is going to be OK!”

There would be a fairly large separation between earthlings and alens by way of distance, time, and language.

If the scientists are so certain everything is so safe and predictable why any need to carry out an experiment?

timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article4685818.ece
From The Times
September 6, 2008
The true cost of CERN’s black holes

Still what is life without risk?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.