Little known Christmas movies you love

The Christmas List. This made for tv movie is my favorite. Not because it’s the best I’ve ever seen but it’s got just that right amount of humor, Christmas Spirit and original storyline that keep me watching it every year. Sadly I don’t think it’s available on dvd or even VHS. It was a tv movie in the 90s that aired for a couple of years then disappeared. I have a grainy video recording of it.

Noelle - Keep a tissues handy for this one. All about forgiveness and love.

An American Christmas Carol. Not a huge fan of Henry Winkler but he shines in this 1970s movie set in the 1930s Depression. It’s one of the better and more original take offs of Charles Dickens, Christmas Carol

Holiday Affair - Classic from 1949 often ignored but still one of the best. Single mom trying to get by when a stranger appears and unsettles her ordered life.

I don't know if they're little known, but I really enjoy 8 Femmes, a dark and twisted story set at Christmastime, and my favorite Christmas movie is Joyeux Noël.

Not really a Christmas movie, but it begins with a Christmas scene: "Come to the Stable" starring Loretta Young and Celeste Holm as two nuns who come from France with plans to build a children's hospital in New England shortly after WWII.

Someone mentioned "8 Women"? Did that take place at Christmas, or was it only wintertime?

Definitely gotta mention "Smoke", a.k.a. Auggie's Christmas. Classic American film. :)

** JT**
It was a made-for-TV movie back in the 1970s about a little black boy who lived in a ghetto. He found a sick kitten, and made a "palace" for him in a junkyard. Even when he was chased by mean gang members, he protected his kitten. The movie is set at Christmas time, so there's a lot of Christmas symbolism. It's absolutely the saddest and sweetest movie ever, but so good. I wish they'd show it again. It would help all of us to be more civil towards our fellow man.

The Three Kings
Not the new movie. This was done back in the early 1990s, and starred Jane Kaczmarek (Malcom in the Middle Mom). Three men in a mental asylum escape, and believe they are the three kings looking for the Baby. They travel all over Los Angeles, and everyone in the city is cheering them on. The ending is so beautiful--I don't want to give it away in case anyone gets a chance to see it.

Ernest Saves Christmas
This movie is absolutely charming and so funny. A actor who loves Christmas is recruited to become the next Santa, and Ernest helps him get the hang of the job. It's delightful! The music is good, too (my daughter skated to it when she was 8--wonderful program!) Best line: air brakes! (Get the movie and see if you agree with me!)

Everyone knows the movie "White Christmas," but "Holiday Inn" was the original movie that contained the song "White Christmas." Holiday Inn was made in 1942 - White Christmas in 1954. I very much prefer the first.

I loved "An American Christmas Carol." Only saw it once but Winkler was outstanding.

Great thread idea!

:thumbsup:

[quote="Cat, post:5, topic:267189"]
** JT**
It was a made-for-TV movie back in the 1970s about a little black boy who lived in a ghetto. He found a sick kitten, and made a "palace" for him in a junkyard. Even when he was chased by mean gang members, he protected his kitten. The movie is set at Christmas time, so there's a lot of Christmas symbolism. It's absolutely the saddest and sweetest movie ever, but so good. I wish they'd show it again. It would help all of us to be more civil towards our fellow man.

[/quote]

Is this it? Looks like something I'm probably going to check out. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

The Three Godfathers, with John Wayne and Ward Bond.

[quote="havana1, post:7, topic:267189"]
Is this it? Looks like something I'm probably going to check out. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

[/quote]

Yes, this is it.

I remember when it came out. Martin Luther King had been assassinated in 1968, and the race riots had taken place during that summer, so there were a lot of uncomfortable feelings in the country between blacks and whites.

I think that JT helped many children like me to appreciate black people instead of being suspicious of them.

I remember that my mother really liked this movie. She grew up in the rural south, and since her family was "poor white trash," they picked cotton alongside of black people. So she didn't have the discomfort with black people that a lot of white people had back then.

And she loved cats, so this movie really touched her. It was just so unexpected--the idea of a boy taking care of a kitten was and still is a little unnerving. We're all used to little boys and puppy dogs, not kitty cats.

Also, the idea of a black boy taking care of a kitten--that was really unexpected. We expected black boys to take care of mean dogs, not helpless kittens!

You see, the movie pointed out how many of our ideas about others were just incorrect stereotypes.

The movie also took those of us who were middle-class white into the homes of ghetto families. Nowadays, in 2011, we all take this for granted because there have been so many shows about black families living in the ghetto. Even Saturday Night Live featured "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood." And Sesame Street takes place in an urban setting.

But back then, a show about a child in the ghetto was entirely new, and very eye-opening to little white boys and girls who had never been near a ghetto, or had never been around black families.

I wish it would be shown again on TV, perhaps bringing the actors in the cast together (those who are still alive) and letting them discuss what it meant to them to be in this rather ground-breaking children's movie. I think it would really help dispell some of the racism that is still hanging around in this country.

Prepare to cry!

Santology. A "mocumentary" about a guy trying to prove there is a Santa Clause" santology.org/santology/news/(dont know if that will work)

We're No Angels. With Humphrey Bogart, Three Devil's Island escapees hide out in the home of a kindly merchant and repay his kindness by helping him and his family out of several crises.

I'll Be Seeing You, with Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotten. She's a young lady whose boss tried to rape her and fell out a window, so she was sent to jail for murder. He's a GI with shell shock. She's on furlough and he's been discharged., and they both lie to each other about their situations throughout the whole movie. It's downbeat and depressing, laughably misogynistic, but a lot of fun to watch overall. It also has a teenage Shirley Temple in one of her few really good later roles (Fort Apache and The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer being the other two).

the best Christmas pagent ever, staring Loreta Smith? from Mash. and Ziggy's gift, oh and Charlie Brown too.

classic from my childhood was Amahl and the Night Visitors, which was shown every year B&W of course, I sure miss it

[quote="puzzleannie, post:13, topic:267189"]
classic from my childhood was Amahl and the Night Visitors, which was shown every year B&W of course, I sure miss it

[/quote]

Oooh, I managed to find the LP of that and I plan to put it on this evening when I'm decorating the tree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.