Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Rosary Throughout the Day

Hello Beloved of Christ! :slight_smile:

I want to share a way of frequently praying throughout the day that I have been doing for the past month. I found that frequent meditation on Mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary aside from formally praying the Rosary brings numerous graces, especially the grace to do the tasks I need to do on every particular moment of the day, and also makes praying the whole Rosary easier.

Anyways, this post is so long that the prayer itself is in the post below this one, sorry I write too long. :imsorry:

Introduction: An Easy Way to Meditate
St. Teresa of Avila said that the person who does not meditate needs no devil to throw himself to hell; he is going there himself. Meditation is a very powerful way of gaining grace, and every Christian should do it everyday. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church,

2723 Meditation is a prayerful quest engaging thought, imagination, emotion, and desire. Its goal is to make our own in faith the subject considered, by confronting it with the reality of our own life.

According to St. Louis de Montfort, one of the most powerful meditative prayers available to Christians is the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

1. To encourage you still more in this devotion practised by so many holy people, I should like to add that the Rosary recited with the meditation of the mysteries brings about the following marvellous results:

2. it gradually brings us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ;

3. it purifies our souls from sin;
    3 it gives us victory over all our enemies;

4. it makes the practice of virtue easy;
    5 it sets us on fire with the love of our Lord;

5. it enriches us with graces and merits;
    7 it supplies us with what is needed to pay all our debts to God and to our fellow-men;

6. and finally, it obtains all kinds of graces from God.

The Admirable Secret of the Rosary, Twenty-seventh Rose

And of course, one cannot forget the Fifteen Promises of The Blessed Virgin in Praying the Holy Rosary.

In fact, I found the Holy Rosary so powerful in my life that I wanted to meditate in a structured way, like in the Holy Rosary, a particular Mystery when I needed to anytime in the day, but without the need of recounting a whole set of the Mysteries.

And so imagine my delight when I realized on examining the component prayers of the Rosary that the Offertory Prayer at the end of the Rosary can in fact be prayed in the beginning of a meditation! :heaven:

Since then I found meditation in the way that I am about to describe is a short and easy yet effective way of meditation, and a very powerful way of asking for graces from the Blessed Virgin and Our Lord.

Purposes of the Prayer
As I had said, this is a way of short meditation to ask for a particular grace or graces. Since it is short (usually two to three minutes long), the prayer can be made before important tasks or events, or during break times.

However, this prayer is NOT a substitute for the whole Holy Rosary, but more of a supplement. I however found praying regularly in this way makes praying the Rosary itself easier, and thus this may be a way of easing someone new in praying the Rosary.

The Fruits of the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary
The Fruits of the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary are virtues that can be learned and merited through God’s grace on fruitful meditation of each Mystery, and are essential in the way of meditating that I am about to teach.

I don’t think there is a standard list of what are the virtues for each Mystery of the Rosary. The following however is quite common. Other lists can be found in the links provided at the second post. And don’t worry about the length of the list, just familiarize yourself with the story of each Mystery, and you will find, as I did for myself, that each Fruit or virtue can quickly be surmised from the stories. Who knows, maybe you’ll see that the Holy Spirit wants you to gather a different set of Fruits from what I listed:

The Joyful Mysteries

1. The Annunciation – Humility
  2. The Visitation – Love of Neighbor
  3. The Nativity of the Lord – Poverty of Spirit
  4. Presentation – Obedience
  5. Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple – Piety; Joy in finding Jesus

The Luminous Mysteries

1. The Baptism of Jesus – Gratitude for our Faith
  2. The Miracle at Cana – Faith in Mary’s intercessory power with Our Lord;; Wholesome fun (I kid you not! :D)
  3. Proclamation of the Kingdom of God – Desire for the coming of God’s kingdom on earth; Grace to follow Jesus’ teachings
  4. Transfiguration – Desire for Holiness; Spiritual Courage
  5. Institution of the Eucharist – Eucharistic Adoration; Active Participation at Mass

The Sorrowful Mysteries

1. Agony in the Garden – Contrition; Conformity to the Will of God
  2. Scourging at the Pillar – Purity
  3. Crowning with Thorns – Moral Courage
  4. Carrying of the Cross – Patience
  5. Crucifixion – Salvation; Pardoning of Injuries

The Glorious Mysteries

1. The Resurrection – Faith
  2. The Ascension – Hope
  3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit – Wisdom; Love of God
  4. The Assumption of Mary – Grace of a Happy Death
  5. The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Perseverance and Crown of Glory; Devotion to Mary

continued next post

The Prayer
After making the Sign of the Cross, pray the Offertory Prayer of the Rosary (usually prayed at the end of the original Rosary), with a little modification as highlighted if meditating just one mystery:

O God, whose only-begotten Son, by his life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon this mystery of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what it contains and obtain what it promises, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Another form would be

O God, whose only-begotten Son, by his life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon this mystery of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what it contains and obtain the grace it promises, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

If more than one mystery would be meditated at one run, you may pray the Offertory Prayer as it is originally or change as follows

O God, whose only-begotten Son, by his life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for use the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise (or the graces they promise), through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Then announce the Mystery to be meditated on and pray

1 Our Father
10 Hail Mary’s
1 Glory Be
Fatima Prayer

as in the original Rosary. As you are praying these, meditate on the story of the Mystery as well as the Fruit of the Mystery, how this Fruit was manifested by Our Mother and/or Our Lord, and pray humbly to God to grant us the grace to manifest this Fruit for the particular task He has given us on that moment.

If more than one Mystery is to be meditated on, it should follow the previous Mystery as one does usually pray the original Rosary.

Upon conclusion of the prayers, end with another Ending Prayer of the Holy Rosary:

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Amen.

And make the Sign of the Cross.

When and How to Pray
From experience, meditation on one Mystery made this way usually lasts two to three minutes. This prayer can be made anytime, anywhere, in whatever position—standing, sitting, kneeling, walking, lying down, working, playing, what have you—especially when a special grace is needed for a particular event or task. It can be prayed aloud or in silence.

Some Examples From My Own Experience
The Mystery I meditate on most often is the Annunciation. I tend to regularly ask Mama Mary to grant me her humility, with the grace of God, that I may always follow our Lord.

Before going to work, I tend to meditate on the Visitation, so that I may remember and have the grace to glorify the Lord through my work as a physician.

This is my favorite :D:When I have difficulty sleeping (which is often :() I tend to meditate on the Nativity. Jesus must have slept well back when he was a child because of the care of Mama Mary and Papa Joseph, so I put myself in the Holy Family’s care whenever I sleep. For that, I seldom finish the 10 decades of Hail Mary’s because I sleep most of the time by then ;). However when I really cannot sleep, I offer a meditation or two on the Mystery of the Crucifixion for the hard, rough, bloody, vertical bed of the Cross Jesus lied on for three hours before he died.

For me, the Finding of Jesus in the Temple is the hardest for me to understand, and I think it was Mama Mary’s too during her life on earth. Therefore whenever I have doubts, whenever I feel my faith and hope and love weakening, I offer 10 Hail Mary’s with this Mystery so that God may give me the grace to weather out the storms in my life.

Whenever I feel giddy or thankful for the Lord and for Mama Mary, I meditate on the Baptism of the Lord and the Coronation of Mary.

Whenever I feel the need to have more faith in God and/or Mama Mary, I meditate on the Wedding at Cana. This is also a good Mystery to meditate on before going to parties or games or what-not. By going to a party, Mary and Jesus sanctified merry-making, as long as it is wholesome.

I found the Proclamation of the Kingdom of God to be the most versatile of the Mysteries. Any teaching of the Faith, especially the Gospel for the Mass of the day, can be meditated upon using this Mystery.

Meditation on the Institution of the Holy Eucharist is a great way of preparing for Holy Mass, and a good prayer during Adoration of the Holy Eucharist.

When I am filled with fear and anxiety, I meditate on any of the Sorrowful Mysteries.

Even in praying the original Rosary with the Sorrowful Mysteries, I always seem to pray the Act of Contrition before meditating the Agony in the Garden. I cannot help but recall to mind how Jesus saw the whole Way of the Cross while kneeling in the Garden of Gethsemane, and that I contributed to that horrible horrible Way through my sins.

When I am so burdened with depression, laziness, and/or tiredness, I meditate on the Carrying of the Cross, and remember what I read somewhere here in CAF (sorry I cannot find it), that Jesus carried the Cross for love of us, and although that way to Calvary was excruciatingly exhausting and painful, the end brought no relief but even more suffering with the Crucifixion.

Meditation on the Descent of the Holy Spirit is a great preparation for anything that is challenging and/or frightening, for example an interview, tests…

Conclusion
I’m so sorry that this post went too long :frowning: But I do sincerely hope that my sharing of this prayer will bear fruit.

God bless you all! :highprayer:

Appendix: Other Lists of Fruits of the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary
catholicexchange.com/2009/07/30/120826/ (thanks to this post)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary#Mysteries
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=267456
maryourmother.net/Rosary.html
rosary-center.org/howto.htm
ixeh.net/faith/Treasure/treasure.html#myst-menu
rosarynmore.com/rosary1.html
hail-mary-rosaries.com/rosary-mysteries.html

nuntym, that is some beautiful insight! i hope the Holy Spirit grants me the grace to meditate on the Rosary like this throughout the day. thank you :slight_smile:

And Happy Birthday! To Mama Mary! :heart::cake::heart:

My dear friend
It’s a wonderful way to fill the day with prayer. Thank you for sharing this. It’s a wonderful devotion and very worthwhile. I enjoyed reading it and think it’s a devotion well worth considering.
God bless you and Mary keep you, on this her birthday:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

Thank you sabriner, John, for dropping by :slight_smile:

sabriner, I hope and pray that God will grant you the grace to practice this devotion if it is His will for you. :crossrc:

John, I never thought of this as a devotion…but yeah it does look like a devotion, ain’t it? Thank you for pointing that out, for the encouragement, and the blessing :blush:

God bless you sabriner and John, and God bless all who pass by this thread.

Happy Birthday Mama Mary!

that is awesome :slight_smile: thank you for sharing this with us! God bless you.

This is a great post!
You will find these meditations on the Rosary to be very helpful,
especially during this month of the Holy Rosary.

Love this post! Thank you for it!

I just now ran across this thread and I am very happy that I did. I do say the Holy Rosary every day (or almost every day) but lately I’ve had a lot of problems staying on focus. I have some brain damage (from taking pain killers for way too long) and one of the ways it manifests itself is in my memory. If I say a “Hail Mary” I don’t remember saying it. I forget which Mystery I am on or whether I have even said The Lord’s Prayer before starting the Mystery. It’s gone out of my mind or I didn’t say it and I get confused.

So I have been looking for a way to remain on focus while I pray this important prayer. Thank you so much for giving me that way! This will help me so much.

May God bring us all peace and joy!!
Christina

Hi Christina! I am so glad that the Our Queen Mother has helped you with my small way. I would also suggest buying a one decade rosary bracelet like I have, or make one yourself (!), so that anytime you can pray either the Rosary or the Little Meditations. I found either a plastic or wooden rosary bracelet with elastic cord to be the best and most durable. You can find some here

I am keeping you in my prayers!

Thank you so much!! When I read your post I remembered (there’s that memory problem again!) that I have a one decade Rosary which is a bracelet. All I have to do is find it.

Thanks again!!
Pax vobiscum,
Christina

great thread!:thumbsup:

I am so excited to try this out! Thank you so much for sharing this new way of looking at the mysteries. I feel like you should write a book about this or something so that more people will know about it. Again, thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.