Little Office of BVM Loreto Ed. & Bonaventure Ed

Hello,

I have been trying to understand the differences in all the editions of the little office. I have the contemporary Catholic Book Pub. and the Baronius Editions. I also see that there is an edition from Loreto Publications and St. Bonaventure Press. Does anyone know what the differences in these editions are? Maybe if you have them you can take some pictures?

Thank you.

Dear codefro,

I don’t know if this is still relevant for you, but the St. Bonaventure Press edition (which I do not own, so I cannot comment on print quality etc.) is based on the 1904 edition, before Pius X’s breviary reforms and before the 1961 editio typica.

In other words, the SBP Little Office would not be considered strictly “liturgical prayer” as the Baronius would (the latter conforms to the Extraordinary Form as it exists today) – but I wouldn’t get too hung up on the distinction. I personally use the 1961 version published by Angelus Press.

Main changes made post-1904 (by St. Pius X in 1911, Ven. Pius XII in 1955 and St. John XXIII in 1961), and resulting differences between St. Bonaventure version and the current Extraordinary Form/Baronius:

1. The mandatory silent “Ave” before each of the hours was suppressed.

2. Lauds: before 1911, Ps 66 would be appended to Ps 62 (the third Lauds psalm) and said as one under the same antiphon. Ps 66 was suppressed.

3. Lauds: the centuries-old custom of saying Pss 148-150 (the “Laudate” psalms, which is where the name Lauds comes from) together under one antiphon as the 5th psalm of Lauds is suppressed; only Ps 148 alone is kept.

4. With the elimination of the classification of “double,” “semidouble,” and “simple” feasts, all antiphons are now “doubled” in the Extraordinary Form (i.e. said in full both before and after the psalm at each of the hours). Prior to 1960, at the daytime hours of Prime, Terce, Sext and None the antiphon was merely “announced” (said up to the asterisk at the beginning, and in full only at the end, of the psalm).

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful!

• A fellow Ordinariateer
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.