Little Offices

I've been looking to diversify my prayer routine lately. I pray the Rosary everyday usually integrating the acts of Faith, Hope and Charity, sometimes I do the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and my own personal prayers. Lately I feel I'm focusing too much attention on Mary (by too much I mean a lot more than Our Lord) and I was wondering if there are any other Little Offices out there.

I don't think I could handle the whole Liturgy of the Hours, the books are really expensive and I wouldn't be able to carry those books around with me all day. Is there an abbreviated version?

Thank in advance for your responses

-AJ

I don't know of any other Little Offices, but you could try "Christian Prayer" or "Shorter Christian Prayer," which are severely abbridged versions of the Liturgy of the Hours.

Don't give up your daily rosary, though. I was just reading St. Louis de Montfort the other day, and he talks about how despite the excellence of the Breviary, the Rosary is a still more excellent prayer. Our Lady at Fatima requested daily rosaries from the faithful, too. So by all means, persevere in that good habit, while you see if you can add another.

[quote="AJB328, post:1, topic:298515"]
I don't think I could handle the whole Liturgy of the Hours, the books are really expensive and I wouldn't be able to carry those books around with me all day. Is there an abbreviated version?

[/quote]

There's the one-volume Christian Prayer: catholicbookpublishing.com/products/100

There's the one-volume Shorter Christian Prayer: catholicbookpublishing.com/products/103

There's the online version at divineoffice.org

There's the iBreviary app for smartphones.

I've been looking to diversify my prayer routine lately. I pray the Rosary everyday usually integrating the acts of Faith, Hope and Charity, sometimes I do the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and my own personal prayers. Lately I feel I'm focusing too much attention on Mary (by too much I mean a lot more than Our Lord) and I was wondering if there are any other Little Offices out there.

-AJ

[/quote]

Look at 2heartsnetwork.org/wounds.htm and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy praydivinemercy.com/

I also like to repeat : " I (we) believe, I adore, I hope, and I love You" X3 and then "And I ask pardon for all those who do not believe, adore, hope in and love You." ( this is the prayer the angel taught the children at Fatima to repeat)

-AJ

[/quote]

Yaay, I use the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary too :)

I think as you grow closer to Mary, you will also get much closer to Christ. It's inevitable. I have been saying the Little Office only for few months now but I found that it has made me change my life around.

Nearly all of the readings are of course Scriptural and not specifically Marian, right? Like Psalm 51 that is on the morning prayer, that one always tugs at me and makes me immediately want to head to confession :)

Overall, I would say, add something like meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary and Scripture reading to your repertoire. It should help you form a nice balance.

After all, as St. Louis De Montfor talks about, how can you do what Mary wants and it be something Christ does not want? :)

I use the Little Office every day and have for some time now. I prefer the 1904 version from St. Bonaventure Press. I tried to get another copy but its out of print now.

I also bought the FSSP version (Baronius Press) but I’m not fond of the english translation. I tend toward the older liturgys.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.