Morning :gopray2: Prayer (Lauds)
O God, incline unto mine aid.
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen. Alleluia.

:coffeeread: **Mid-Morning Reading (Terce) **
13 I have raised him up to justice, and **I **will direct all his ways: he shall build **my **city, and let go my captives, not for ransom, nor for presents, saith the Lord the God of hosts. Isaiah 45:13

:coffeeread: **Noon Reading (Sext) **
20 Come forth out of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, declare it with the voice of joy: make this to be heard, and speak it out even to the ends of the earth. Say: The Lord hath redeemed his servant Jacob. Isaiah 48:20

:coffeeread: **Afternoon Reading (None) **
They have sought me that before asked not for me, they have found **me **that sought me not. I said: Behold me, behold me, to a nation that did not call upon my name. Isaiah 65:1

Evening :gopray2: Prayer (Vespers)
world without end.
Amen. Alleluia.

Night :gopray2: Prayer (Compline) **
world without end.
Amen. Alleluia.

Link to Divine Office Online: universalis.com/20090819/today.htm
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Gracious Heavenly Father+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+[/RIGHT]

Where are Matins and Prime? There are eight holy hours all specified in scripture.

Hi CallistusPM . . .

Great question . . . below is a quote from Wikipedia that explains Matins . . .

. . . :coffeeread: . . . **
The name **"Matins"
originally referred to the morning office also known as Lauds.
[RIGHT]- Wikipedia[/RIGHT]

The referenced daily portions of the Divine Office in the original post are formed in accordance with *The Holy Rule of St. Benedict* . . . re Prime . . . below is a response I prepared this past year for the Benedictine Spirituality Forum here at CAF . . .

In the current version of THE DIVINE OFFICE, Matins has been replaced by the Office Of Readings, which can be prayed at anytime of the time. Prime has been suppressed. The Current set of names are

1 )Office Of Readings
2) Morning Prayer
3) Daytime Prayer. This can be divided, if you wish, into Mid-Morning Prayer, Mid-Day Prayer, and Mid Afternoon Prayer
4) Evening Prayer
5) Compline

Morning and Evening prayer are considered to be the two most imporatant times of the DIVINE OFFICE.

Jesus_123: Thanks for your reply. Please refer to THE SACRIFICE OF PRAISE,Vilma G. Little, Roman Catholic Books, PO Box 2286, Fort Collins, CO, 80522.
Let’s analyze and clarify the Divine Office - The Breviary:

1. Matins - Night after midnight - Originally vigils. In spite of what Wikipedia says, this hour is a separate and distinguished sacred hour.
  2. Lauds - Please note . . . NOT part of Matins. Lauds is prayed at first light.
  3. Prime - Originally private prayers by monks on their way to work, now part of the breviary and prayed after Lauds.
  4. The “little hours,” Terce, Sext and None prayed around 9AM, 12 noon and 3PM.
  5. Vespers - Prayed at evening time/sundown.
  6. Compline - Night prayers before retiring.
    The eight hours are mentioned in Psalm 118:
    a) “At midnight I rise to give you thanks . . . .” Matins has its reference here.
    b) “Seven times a day I praise you… . .” Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline are derived from this passage.

The present abbreviations, omissions and structural changes of the Divine Office are just another example of what the Second Vatican Council did to our traditional and orthodox faith, resulting in the wholesale abandonment of the most ancient rite in the Christian world. What was needed as the liturgical movement originally intended before it was hijacked, was a rediscovery of the immense riches of the ancient Roman liturgy NOT its destruction by liturgical innovation. The true Catholic faith has been traumatized by the profanations inflicted upon Holy Mother Church by iconoclastic novelty . Pardon the editorializing.
CallistusPM,
9 January: ferial

Hmmmm…I do the 4 volume LOTH. I have read the forward to the LOTH where it explains the changes. They seem valid to me. I have read GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS, published by USCCB. And when I do the LOTH, even as a member of the laity, all by myself in the apartment (with the 3 cats) I am doing it with the Pope. And with all the Cardinals, Archbishops, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, female and male religious, and the many members of the laity who pray part or all of the LOTH.:highprayer:

Is there any real reason to go back to the older version? Well, you can, if you want. Nobody is going to stop you. But my vows of obediance would have me stick to the LOTH recited along with Benidict XVI:gopray2:

I am by no means an expert . . . however . . . in regard to the eight (8) canonical hours . . . which are divided up into the . . . Daytime Office . . . (to which my original post referred). . . and the . . . Night Office . . . I’m going to bravely jump into the relatively . . . shallow end of the Holy Benedictine spirituality pool . . . here . . . ***and splash and swim around just a bit ***. . . just for a . . . *little clarification *. . . hope this helps. . .

Amidst the bewildering array of Biblical translations, distressing individual persons’ Biblical paraphrases masquerading under the guise of the “title” Bible, and the multitude of various written materials calling themselves “Breviary” . . . gaining knowledge and understanding of what is going on . . . and making intelligent discerning choices of what are the best of the available materials for one’s soul is neither simple nor easy . . .

**A little history of terminology . . . **

Prior to the Blessed Holy St. Benedict and his Holy Rule of St. Benedict for Monasteries . . . there was a wide and great array of varying methods of daily and night prayers being said both in cathedrals and churches and in monasteries for the religious . . . after St. Constantine the Great’s conversion (fourth century) . . . these prayer times . . . (morning, evening, and the middle of the night) . . . became common in all the cathedrals throughout the empire . . . in the West these services came to be called . . . Matins, Vespers, and Vigils . . .

Eventually the morning service . . . most often called “Matins” . . . in early sources often came to be called “Lauds” instead. For an excellent scholarly history of the Liturgy of the Hours please see the link below:

:compcoff: Link: yale.edu/adhoc/research_resources/liturgy/hours.html

Later the **Blessed St. Benedict of Nursia **(sixth century). . . **the Father *(Patriarch) ***of Western Monasticism . . . Patron Saint of Europe . . . laid out the specific guidelines for the celebration of the "Work of God" or “Opus Dei” . . . which we now know as the Liturgy of the Hours/Divine Office . . . to this day . . . The Holy Rule of St. Benedict is the most common and influential Rule used by monasteries and monks, more than 1400 years after its writing . . . and St. Benedict’s Order of St. Benedict (O.S.B.) . . . the Benedictines . . . are renown as the servants of our **Wonderful Triune God **for the evangelization of Europe . . . and . . . even today the Benedictines are the largest religious monastic order in Western Christianity. Below is a link to the **Order of St. Benedict O.S.B **website:

:compcoff: Link: osb.org/

The Holy Rule of St. Benedict in its entirety . . . including its liturgical system of prayers . . . the **Night Office **and the Daytime Office . . . and devout use of the Book of Psalms in Sacred :bible1: Scripture . . . is meant for every class of mind and every degree of learning . . . it is written and framed not only to instruct and bless the educated and for souls advanced in perfection . . . but it organizes and directs a complete life which is adapted for simple folk and for sinners . . . (my little life’s group as a lay person) . . . for the observance of the Commandments and for the beginnings of goodness. "We have written this Rule", writes St. Benedict, “that by observing it in monasteries, we may shew ourselves to have some degree of goodness in life and a beginning of holiness.” Below is a link re the Benedictine Order:

:compcoff: Link: newadvent.org/cathen/02443a.htm

**Brevaries . . . **

Beside the 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours recommended by BVM 122, the Monastic Diurnal also comes highly recommended by **Benedictine ** monasteries and oblates I am acquainted with . . . and if one wants to explore the . . . Night Office . . . the Benedictine Daily Prayer . . . though perhaps lacking in the spiritual depth and beauty of the **Monastic Diurnal **. . . has Vigils which are not found as part of the regular offices in the Monastic Diurnal . . .
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

[quote="BVM_1221, post:6, topic:182334"]
Hmmmm....I do the 4 volume LOTH. I have read the forward to the LOTH where it explains the changes. They seem valid to me. I have read GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS, published by USCCB. And when I do the LOTH, even as a member of the laity, all by myself in the apartment (with the 3 cats) I am doing it with the Pope. And with all the Cardinals, Archbishops, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, female and male religious, and the many members of the laity who pray part or all of the LOTH.:highprayer:

Is there any real reason to go back to the older version? Well, you can, if you want. Nobody is going to stop you. But my vows of obediance would have me stick to the LOTH recited along with Benidict XVI:gopray2:

[/quote]

Hi BVM 1221 . . .

In relation to a Breviary . . . there are actually many available and permitted for legitimate use and used by the Christian faithful . . . please see the link below for a rather astonishingly complete listing of available materials . . .

:compcoff: Link: kellerbook.com/OVERVIEW.HTM

Re the Benedictine Order . . . in regard to versions of the . . . Liturgy of the Hours **. . . it is my understanding that **Benedictines have an indult . . .

:coffeeread:*INDULT . . . *

An indult in Catholic Canon Law is a permission, or privilege, granted by the competent church authority – the **Holy See **or the diocesan bishop ... for an exception from a particular norm of church law in an individual case ...

[RIGHT]**- Wickipedia **[/RIGHT]

which allows organizations such as monasterys and abbeys to choose which versions of the Liturgy of the Hours/Divine Office they wish to use in their communities . . . and they vary greatly from community to community . . . so we actually are not all using the same material . . . the following general . . . moderate, gentle and wise . . . Order of Saint Benedict (OSB) . . . guidelines are given . . . (of course individual abbeys/monasterys are allowed . . . *and do *. . . freely add further recommendations to the below for their individual monasteries) . . .

The Order of Saint Benedict (OSB)
Guidelines for Oblates

*D. OBLATES STRIVE TO BE MEN AND WOMEN OF PRAYER . . . *

[quote][LIST=1]]They highly esteem the **Eucharist*

and take an active and intelligent part in the celebration of the sacred mysteries of the altar.
]They strive each day to pray **some part* of the Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours, as the circumstances of their lives permit.
*]They strive to appreciate the beauty and spiritual wealth contained in the Psalms which form the core of the Church's prayer.
*]They harmonize their private and public prayers and devotions with the liturgical seasons and feasts of the year, as Vatican II recommends.[/LIST]
[/quote]

:compcoff: Link: osb.org/obl/guidelns.html

I kind of like to view all the various Biblical and Breviary materials like instruments available to play in an orchestra . . . which instruments are constructed by various people and organizations . . . some are of good materials . . . some . . . not . . . some led and inspired by the Holy Spirit . . . some . . . not . . . which makes some of the written materials instruments of considerably varying quality . . . and some really don't follow the "notes" of the Church well . . . they range from some really not marvelous instruments . . . to some . . . really marvelous . . . ones like the 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours . . . but basically it all comes down to the holy reality of real prayer . . . I love the below quote from the "Little Flower" . . .

:signofcross:
*"For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven,
it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy."
- Saint Therese of Lisieux

I do understand your need to "editorialize" CallistusPM . . . we live is a very odd day and age where the holy things and ways of God and our Holy Mother Church are under grave attack . . . may our . . . *Wonderful God *. . . gain the victory soon . . . *"maranatha" . . . Lord come quickly . . . *

*Blessed Virgin Mary . . . Our Lady of Monte Cassino . . . please pray :gopray2: for us all . . . thank you Holy Mother of God . . . *

:bible1:
"This is the day which the LORD hath made;
let us be glad and rejoice therein."

Psalm 118[117]: 24[23]

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Dear Lord+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Church+
. . . thank you Blessed St. Benedict+
. . . St. Bernard of Clairvaux please pray for us+
[/RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

WOW!!! Thank you for this referance page. Although I intend to continue to use the current LOTH, I find it fascinating to see the variety.:tiphat:

Now, which edition does Pope Benidict XVI use?:highprayer:

:highprayer: Great question! Not an English version in all probability . . . probably Polish, Latin or Italian . . . ? . . . There might be something on the Vatican’s website . . . just use the “SEARCH” feature and try a variety of phrases dealing with the subject and the Holy Father . . .

:compcoff: Link: vatican.va/phome_en.htm

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

Will everyone agree that the Sacred Office is an extension of the Mass of the day? (this is what I was taught in seminary.) Will everyone agree that when Pope Benedict XVI issued
his motu proprio Summorum Pontificum it clarified that the ancient liturgy of the church which has come down to us for almost 2000 years is still alive and viable? There are now two forms of worship in the Roman Rite, the Novus Ordo of Vatican II , referred to as the Ordinary form of worship and the Tridentine Mass, the Traditional Latin Mass of the Roman Rite, which is referred to as the Extraordinary Rite. If one prefers the traditional liturgy, he/she is perfectly within his/her right to do so. Will all agree to this? This, then, would include the Divine Office established by St. Benedict which was used by all the church fathers down through the course of time and only since circa 1970 was significantly changed by the council under the name Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours. Ergo, either form is acceptable and valid. My original intent in this dialogue was to establish some sense of historic and traditional clarification regarding the Divine Office/Sacred Liturgy.
I have in front of me two breviaries; one promulgated some 40 years ago by Pope Paul VI and the Second Vatican Council and one established by St. Benedict and currently reaffirmed by Pope John XXIII. Prayer is prayer and I believe all is pleasing to Almighty God.
11 January: St.Hyginus, PM

Update on 11 January. I could find nothing on the Vatican website, but maybe I did not know how to search. I’m fairly sure the pope uses a latin version. And probably the newer LOTH, in fact. I do wish I could have an audiance with him amd ask some of these questions. Like, which version of the Rosary do you recite?

[quote="CallistusPM, post:11, topic:182334"]
[LIST=1]]*Will everyone agree that the Sacred Office is an extension of the Mass of the day? (this is what I was taught in seminary.)
*]Will everyone agree that when Pope Benedict XVI issued his motu proprio Summorrum Pontificum it clarified that the ancient liturgy of the church which has come down to us for almost 2000 years is still alive and viable?
*]There are now two forms of worship in the Roman Rite, the Novus Ordo of Vatican II , referred to as the Ordinary form of worship and the Tridentine Mass, the Traditional Latin Mass of the Roman Rite, which is referred to as the Extraordinary Rite. If one prefers the traditional liturgy, he/she is perfectly within his/her right to do so. Will all agree to this?

[/LIST][INDENT]This, then, would include the Divine Office established by St. Benedict which was used by all the church fathers down through the course of time and only since circa 1970 was significantly changed by the council under the name Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours. Ergo, either form is acceptable and valid. [/INDENT]

... I have in front of me two breviaries; one promulgated some 40 years ago by Pope Paul VI and the Second Vatican Council and one established by St. Benedict and currently reaffirmed by Pope John XXIII. Prayer is prayer and I believe all is pleasing to Almighty God.
11 January: St.Hyginus, PM

[/quote]

Hi CallistusPM and BVM 1221,

You two have been invaluable help in the Spirit as I've been formulating the daily . . . "Little Portions" . . . and I wanted to thank you both for your input into the process . . . and thank you CallistusPM for noticing that the holy hour of Prime was missing . . . *I've restored it to its absolutely rightful place in line-up in the daily postings . . . *

Every now and again my thoughts have kept returning to and puzzling upon your first sentence in the above post CallistusPM. . . both your's and BVM 1221's posts definitely have provided good food for thought . . . then today the Lord brought to mind a post He had given me sometime back which clarified these two separate activities within Holy Mother Church a bit . . . at least to my mind . . . (please see the below link) . . .

The Holy Pray:signofcross:er of the Mass and the Divine :gopray2: Office . . . at least to my mind . . . seem to act as two quite separate spiritual works within the Body of Christ . . . our Wonderful Catholic Church . . . essentially . . . at least in the heart of my thoughts . . . The Holy :signofcross: Mass is part and parcel of the ordained priestly sacramental responsibilities . . . with the Mass . . . and in particular the confecting of the . . . Holy Eucharist . . . involving one of the seven sacraments which are generally the exclusive province of ordained priests . . . with only the Sacrament of Baptism and the Sacrament of Marriage upon occassion being recognized as valid apart from priestly action . . .

However the . . . Divine :gopray2: Office (Liturgy of the Hours) . . . actually from its origin is and has always been . . . to one degree or another . . . available . . . to include all** God's** children on an equal basis . . . priests, deacons, clerics all, religious nuns and monks, mendicants, etc., and those of us who are lay persons . . . all of whom are gathered in our little designated corners under our . . . **Holy Mother Mary's Holy Mantle* . . . with no hierarchal responsibility being necessary in the action of these particular **pray:gopray2:ers* . . . thus every soul participating is pretty much on an equal footing with every other soul who is praying the Divine Office . . . kneeling in the Spirit at the Holy Feet of our Lord **. . . in the . . .Shadow of His Holy Cross** . . . which "togetherness" BVM 1221 mentioned can be a very real blessing for one's soul while praying the LotH . . .

The below link is what the Lord gave me this morning . . . in reflection along the above line . . . from materials of . . . Pope John Paul the Great . . . thought you two might enjoy perusing his thoughts . . .

:compcoff: *Link: *forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=379245

In relation to the Tridentine Mass **. . . below is a link to the **St. John Cantius Catholic Church **in the Chicago area . . . whose gorgeous **Holy Tridentine :signofcross: Mass services are marvelous . . . they are the group of priests and canons to whom our** Gracious Lord opened up the holy doors in the Catholic Church to train **EWTN's Mother Angelica's priests in the Tridentine Mass Liturgy . . .

:compcoff: Link: *http://www.cantius.org/go/liturgy_devotions/
[RIGHT]. . . all for *
*Jesus
+
*. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
. . . thank you Blessed Virgin Mary . . . our Mother+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
[/RIGHT]

[quote="CallistusPM, post:5, topic:182334"]
Jesus_123: Thanks for your reply. Please refer to THE SACRIFICE OF PRAISE,Vilma G. Little, Roman Catholic Books, PO Box 2286, Fort Collins, CO, 80522.
Let's analyze and clarify the Divine Office - The Breviary:
1) Matins - Night after midnight - Originally vigils. In spite of what Wikipedia says, this hour is a separate and distinguished sacred hour.
2) Lauds - Please note . . . NOT part of Matins. Lauds is prayed at first light.
3) Prime - Originally private prayers by monks on their way to work, now part of the breviary and prayed after Lauds.
4) The "little hours," Terce, Sext and None prayed around 9AM, 12 noon and 3PM.
5) Vespers - Prayed at evening time/sundown.
6) Compline - Night prayers before retiring.
The eight hours are mentioned in Psalm 118:
a) "At midnight I rise to give you thanks . . . ." Matins has its reference here.
b) "Seven times a day I praise you.. . ." Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline are derived from this passage.

The present abbreviations, omissions and structural changes of the Divine Office are just another example of what the Second Vatican Council did to our traditional and orthodox faith, resulting in the wholesale abandonment of the most ancient rite in the Christian world. What was needed as the liturgical movement originally intended before it was hijacked, was a rediscovery of the immense riches of the ancient Roman liturgy NOT its destruction by liturgical innovation. The true Catholic faith has been traumatized by the profanations inflicted upon Holy Mother Church by iconoclastic novelty . Pardon the editorializing.
CallistusPM,
9 January: ferial

[/quote]

Thank you so much for this explanation. I try to pray the LOTH every day (I have a great husband who does it with me), and a few months ago I found the Roman Breviary online, which has all of Matins, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. The prayers are much longer and involved than those in the 4 Volume LOTH. The website is:

breviary.mobi/

For a couple of dollars month, you get the readings for every day. I save them to my Ipod Touch. It has both the English and Latin translations. This is the only place I have found this Breviary. Because it is pre Vatican II, the days don't always mesh with the current calendar, either. The problem is trying to find the time to read and pray them. I'm staying with the 4 volume LOTH right now, because I really don't want to be out of step with the Church, but what do you think about doing the Roman Breviary?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.