Liturgical Abuse

My parish has a couple of noticeable things I’ve never seen in Mass before I started going there.

• The Gloria is omitted

• The priest doesn’t elevate either the chalice or host during the consecration; he just holds them in front of him

I’m pretty sure these are liturgical abuses. What should I do?

Unless we are in Advent or Lent, the Gloria is not omitted on Sundays. The only exceptions during Advent and Lent are (at least in the United States): the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Annunciation and the Solemnity of St. Joseph.

Here is what the GIRM notes about the Gloria:

The Gloria

1. The Gloria is a very ancient and venerable hymn in which the Church, gathered together in the Holy Spirit, glorifies and entreats God the Father and the Lamb. The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other text. The Gloria is intoned by the priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir; but it is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone. If not sung, it is to be recited either by all together or by two parts of the congregation responding one to the other.

It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character.

Regarding the elevation of the Host and Chalice:

1. A little before the consecration, when appropriate, a server rings a bell as a signal to the faithful. According to local custom, the server also rings the bell as the priest shows the host and then the chalice.

While this speaks to the issue of the bells, it clearly indicates that the priest is supposed to show the host and then the chalice. The rubrics (the parts in red) are in the Roman Missal and they do indicate that he is supposed to do this.

At the Doxology, he is also supposed to do this:

At the end of the Eucharistic Prayer, the priest takes the paten with the host and the chalice and elevates them both while alone singing or saying the doxology, Per ipsum (Through him). At the end the people make the acclamation, Amen. Then the priest places the paten and the chalice on the corporal.

I hope this helps.

Ask your priest, politely and respectfully, to help you understand.

Do you go to Mass on both Sundays and weekdays or Sundays only? The Gloria is not usually prayed on weekdays unless it is a solemnity or feast.

It should be prayed on Sundays outside of Advent and Lent.

• The priest doesn’t elevate either the chalice or host during the consecration; he just holds them in front of him

The GIRM says that at the Consecration the priest shows the host and chalice, while at the end of the prayer the priest elevates them. Holding them in front of him probably constitutes showing them.

I’m pretty sure these are liturgical abuses. What should I do?

I don’t think the second one constitutes an abuse. As for the first, you might simply ask him about it.

I always go on Sundays, and the Gloria isn’t sung on Sundays anymore. They used to do it every Sunday.

Go to mass listen to the word of God, Share in the sacrafice of the Eucharist, Become what you receive and then go forth and spread the Gospel!

Peace,
FAB

Liturgical abuses used to drive me up the wall,…so much that it would distract me from the actual consecration. A priest friend of mine offered me some sound advice, simply put, just to pray and offer your intention at that Eucharist for the priest in question doing these things. It would seem the Holy Spirit is listening, as the younger priests are all pretty solid, Pope Benedict is cracking down on the Liturgy itself, ‘The Reform of the Reform…’ And finally those Bishops who are still heterodox are nearing retirement age, which means that they are going the way of the dinosaur. Nevertheless, pray for your parish priests,…eventually liturgical abuses will stop…:thumbsup:

Marco

www.prime1-marco.blogspot.com

I figure that if Jesus can take it so can I. I’ll leave it to Him to correct.

Ask the priest why he’s making changes to the liturgy. Follow up with him after being one hundred percent sure you are right. If he refutes the GIRM then write your bishop. The liturgy is not a personal toy to be customized by individual preferences.

Who said “Jesus would take it”? Jesus had a mission,He was not a masochist.
Should we give thought to things first before we leave it to Jesus and if so would we have more options?God Bless

The problem is that we tend to mischaracterize Jesus as some sort of flower child who was meek and mild all of the time. However, as He showed us during the cleansing of the Temple, that was not the case at all. Jesus did and said some very direct things. He was not all hearts and flowers, especially when it came to Temple worship. After all, the moneychangers were the ones who were violating the sacred space, in this case, the court of the Gentiles (that part of the Temple that was reserved for non-Jews to pray to the Lord).

Furthermore, the Church gives us the mechanism to address liturgical abuse: Redemptionis Sacramentum. Jesus charged St. Peter and his successors to safeguard his Church and part of that safeguard most assuredly includes protecting the integrity of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

What must I do?

You can gather all the documents and go to the priest and tell him him to straighten up is act, or you can go and just tell him that you miss the Gloria and that you do not understand why it is not recited anymore. I would bet that the second approach has more chances of giving satisfactory results.

Ask your priest, politely and respectfully, to help you understand.

Help understand what?

I think the answer to this thread is in your paragraph above"the Church gives us the mechanism to address liturgical abuse"
Permit me to defend my statement that Jesus was not a mascochist. I don’t believe Jesus was some sort of flower child. I believe that Jesus was driven by His mission. The suffering He incurred was already deemed in the Father’s Will. In other words Jesus suffering had purpose, it was not suffering for the sake of suffering. God Bless and thank you for bringing that out in my comment.

Redemptionis Sacramentum

On certain matters to be observed or to be avoided regarding the Most Holy Eucharist

March 25, 2004
Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments

…]

1. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters
    [183.] In an altogether particular manner, let everyone do all that is in their power to ensure that the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist will be protected from any and every irreverence or distortion and that all abuses be thoroughly corrected. This is a most serious duty incumbent upon each and every one, and all are bound to carry it out without any favoritism.

[184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.290 It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.

CONCLUSION

[185.] “Against the seeds of discord which daily experience shows to be so deeply ingrained in human nature as a result of sin, there stands the creative power of the unity of Christ’s body. For it is precisely by building up the Church that the Eucharist establishes fellowship among men”.291 It is therefore the hope of this Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments that also, by the diligent application of those things that are recalled in this Instruction, human weakness may come to pose less of an obstacle to the action of the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist, and that with all distortion set aside and every reprobated practice removed,292 through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, “Woman of the Eucharist”, the saving presence of Christ in the Sacrament of His Body and Blood may shine brightly upon all people.

[186.] Let all Christ’s faithful participate in the Most Holy Eucharist as fully, consciously and actively as they can,293 honoring it lovingly by their devotion and the manner of their life. Let Bishops, Priests and Deacons, in the exercise of the sacred ministry, examine their consciences as regards the authenticity and fidelity of the actions they have performed in the name of Christ and the Church in the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy. Let each one of the sacred ministers ask himself, even with severity, whether he has respected the rights of the lay members of Christ’s faithful, who confidently entrust themselves and their children to him, relying on him to fulfill for the faithful those sacred functions that the Church intends to carry out in celebrating the sacred Liturgy at Christ’s command.294 For each one should always remember that he is a servant of the Sacred Liturgy.295

adoremus.org/RedemptionisSacramentum.html#anchor1242988

A little off topic (as usual):

The whole elevation thing seems odd when the celebrant is facing the pews. It’s like an anachronistic vestige of ad orientam celebration. When everyone faced the Crucifix together and people did not assume that they could receive communion just because they had turned up at Mass, people couldn’t always see the consecrated host. So it used to make some sense to call out to the Priest to show the host.

ASD

Traditional Latin Mass: Translation and Grammar

• The Gloria is omitted

Digger"its in the GIRM"domer, can you elaborate on understanding why the Gloria is omitted and why the priest doesn’t elevate at this particular parish?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.