Liturgical Abuse....

Can You Share Some Liturgical Abuse That You Had Encountered? Let’s Share Somethings…

I wasn’t there but I was appalled when I read it in my daily LifeSiteNews email:

lifesite.net/ldn/2005/may/05051701.html

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

I have seen some “smaller” stuff like the Priest going off the alter area to shake hands with people at the Kiss of Peace, breaking of the Host early, use of an Extraordinary—Minister (I get confused on the fiull name!) when a Deacon was there and available, lack of songs in Mass (I think that’s a “highly encouraged” one not a mandatory).

Liturgical Abuse: I’ve seen my fair share, but the chapel I go to is getting better, so I won’t bring up the stuff from a couple of years ago, that’s another story.

1. “Mothering God, Mothering Christ, Mothering Spirit” – I HATE this song
  2. Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion saying “The Bread of Christ” – yes, I said Amen, and then I realized what he said, and he kept saying it (reported immediately).
  3. Lay Woman giving a homily (pet peeve of mine).
  4. Insertion by some of “She” instead of “He” for the Holy Spirit during the Creed or in the Prayers of the Faithful.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]Can You Share Some Liturgical Abuse That You Had Encountered? Let’s Share Somethings…
[/quote]

making the Blacks sit in the back of the church and receive communion last. fortunately, we put an end to that abuse.

[quote=katherine2]making the Blacks sit in the back of the church and receive communion last. fortunately, we put an end to that abuse.
[/quote]

And thank God for that!

It just goes to show that if one allows the culture to guide our worship, it is not always the right thing to do.

Well I have seen A lot. Rabbit ears on the Priests head at Easter Mass. Lay people elevating the chalice, Old hags on the Altar with the Priest. Young hags leading the faithful in song from the altar. (with an over dramatic sense of piety and sappy emotionalism)

A kind of “Crazy ballet with candles” for lack of A better name. Oh well the list could go on and on.

Since I found an Indult TLM Parish I no longer care about “Nutty People” And their even Nuttier made up religions.
One day (and that real soon) these Old “Looney Tunes” are going to look around and find themselves alone in Church with Just each other for company. Boy oh Boy talk about Bedlam then!

The worst abuse I ever experienced took place outside of the Liturgy. Not long after my conversion. Our Parish Priest was late fo the evening Mass. As I was serving for Him I waited patiently in the Sacristy.

After about 45 min. I stepped outside, And there was Father. standing in the little courtyard outside , sweating profusely, and cursing like A Sailor. All the while holding A ciborium with the sacred host inside. It seems his car had broken down, while He was delivering Holy Communion to the shut Ins. And he had just walked A few miles in the August heat to the Church. I have never in my life heard so much vulgar filth come out of A priests mouth. Not your old fashioned “cuss words” but pure filth. between cursing, He would take A drag off his cig, look at the ciborium and say “Excuse me Lord”!

Quite the eye opener for A new convert

[quote=QUICUMQUE VULT]Well I have seen A lot. … Old hags on the Altar with the Priest. Young hags leading the faithful in song from the altar. …
[/quote]

Sounds a wee bit misogynist, using the uncharitable word “hag” twice. And by leading the faithful in song “from the altar,” you mean this “young hag” was sitting on the altar like a chanteuse at a piano bar, or do you merely mean this young lady was acting as a cantor leading the faithful in song from elsewhere in the sanctuary?

I don’t see a whole lot of good coming from this entire thread – I think it is heading down the Via Vitriol.

'thann

That’s interesting. The nuttiest people I come in contact with at Church are invaribly at Tridentine Masses…

Throngs of people coming in during or after the gospel or leaving right after Communion, week after week. Not that I’m keeping track, mind you…

[quote=Pariah Pirana]That’s interesting. The nuttiest people I come in contact with at Church are invaribly at Tridentine Masses…
[/quote]

What else can you expect from poorly catechized, ignorant traditionalists? :whistle:

At least the “nuts” at the Tridentine Masses don’t try to inflict their nuttiness on you by grabbing various of your body parts at odd times throughout the Mass.

Give me a traditionalist nut muttering on their beads over a modern gabby-glad-grab hander anyday. :yup:

[quote=TLM Altar Boy]What else can you expect from poorly catechized, ignorant traditionalists? :whistle:
[/quote]

Good point…

[quote=Pariah Pirana]Good point…
[/quote]

Thanks.

I’m always amazed at the people I come in contact with at the Traditional Mass, too. Do you know that some of them actually believe that the salvation of Protestants isn’t 100% assured, and that they should convert to the Catholic Church?

Even the priest seems to be as nutty as a fruitcake! I remember once that Monsignor said in his homily that it was sinful to vote for a pro-abortion candidate. If I hadn’t been up in the sanctuary in my cassock and surplice, I would’ve walked out right then and there. All I could do at the time, though, was pray that he would receive the Spirit of Vatican 2.

[quote=TLM Altar Boy]Thanks.

I’m always amazed at the people I come in contact with at the Traditional Mass, too. Do you know that some of them actually believe that the salvation of Protestants isn’t 100% assured, and that they should convert to the Catholic Church?

Even the priest seems to be as nutty as a fruitcake! I remember once that Monsignor said in his homily that it was sinful to vote for a pro-abortion candidate. If I hadn’t been up in the sanctuary in my cassock and surplice, I would’ve walked out right then and there. All I could do at the time, though, was pray that he would receive the Spirit of Vatican 2.
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=TLM Altar Boy]Thanks.

[/quote]

I am with you on this TLMAltarboy! I mean where do they get this stuff from? Do you know our Monsignor said last week that unrepentant mortal sin will send you straight to Hell?

Now I am A convert, And I have to agree with Father on that. I am wondering, Am I turning into A “Nutty Traditionalist”? During the Homily at our Sunday TLM, Father also said that, Our Blessed Lady, was “Preserved free from original sin, at the moment of her conception, In virtue of the future merits of Christ”

You wont believe this, The “Nutty Traditionalists” at my Parish, Actually believe the Bread and Wine are “Changed into” the Body and Blood of Christ! And so they conduct themselves accordingly.

Will they never stop!
CAN THEY BE STOPPED!!

I have lots of horror stories, but the most persistent abuse remains use of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to divide Christians, promote schism and serve personal and political agendae. This abuse is embraced by those on both ends of the so-called liberal-conservative spectrum and directly attacks Christ’s last instruction before his death, for unity.

Puzzleannie:

I agree completely. Just as you said, it is a sin against the unity of the Church to politicize the Mass. I don’t understand, though, why some find it necessary to criticize an entire group of people for their liturgical preferences.

The desire to attend the Latin Mass is just that–a liturgical preference. And just like anyone can prefer the Eastern liturgies without sinning against the unity of the Church, the simple preference of the Traditional Mass doesn’t do any harm. The harm comes when people put their own wants and desires ahead of the good of the Church. You’ll get no argument from me that that comes from every part of the Church.

'Fraid I’ve been contributing to thread drift, though. :o As far as the topic at hand goes, the worst abuse I’ve experienced is the congregation standing during the entire Canon.

[quote=thann]Sounds a wee bit misogynist, using the uncharitable word “hag” twice. And by leading the faithful in song “from the altar,” you mean this “young hag” was sitting on the altar like a chanteuse at a piano bar, or do you merely mean this young lady was acting as a cantor leading the faithful in song from elsewhere in the sanctuary?

I don’t see a whole lot of good coming from this entire thread – I think it is heading down the Via Vitriol.

'thann
[/quote]

Did I use the word “hag” twice?
I actually meant to use it 3 times
Thank you so much for pointing this out!
Now let me see…Hmmmm
Old "hags"
young "hags"
Silly Me!!!
I left out the most important one!
Baby “hags”!!
You know, the ones running around doing what Altar BOYS used to do.
Another name for them might be “Future Priestess”

[quote=TLM Altar Boy]The desire to attend the Latin Mass is just that–a liturgical preference.
[/quote]

It’s not always “just that” though is it? Lots of people who go to the Latin Mass do so because they believe the new Mass is deficient, invalid, or whatever. In fact long before the Indult movement emerged on the scene these views were largely the *only * views among Latin Mass goers, hence the stigma attached.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.