Liturgical abuse?

A little preamble. I sing in our small choir each Sunday here in Normandy, France, a full High Mass in the EF, about 35 minutes away. It so happens we borrow this almost unused church and 2 or 3 times a year the priest of the parish, whose main church is in the nearby town, celebrates the NO mass in our church therefore, we all go to mass elsewhere.

Last Sunday, 1st of Lent, was one of those Sundays and as there was to be mass said in our local village church we decided to attend with our fellow villagers. I am well versed in the "new" way of the cut down Litugry and have learned to assist at the "modern" mass in quietness and tolerance.

What am I getting to? After much welcoming and an impromptu Kyrie, we're straight into the Epistle, etc. It's not until we get to the Canon of the Mass that my heart sinks as, to my extreme consternation the Canon is said out loud, not only by the priest, but the deacon and the whole congregation. What's happening? Thankfully the words of consecration were said by the priest alone, but...

Correct me, but I'm sure this is totally wrong or am I behind the times?

I have witnessed many "innovations' over the years, but this takes the biscuit!

Please bring me up to date on this, and as well as looking forward to starting next Sunday singing Aspérges Me, I pray for priests in error and the families poorly educated in the faith.

God bless you CAF for your good work.

Simon

[quote="Simon62, post:1, topic:315450"]
. It's not until we get to the Canon of the Mass that my heart sinks as, to my extreme consternation the Canon is said out loud, not only by the priest, but the deacon and the whole congregation. What's happening? Thankfully the words of consecration were said by the priest alone,

[/quote]

Wow. I'm not even a traditionalist EF person, and this sounds way out to me. I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of feedback.

What am I getting to? After much welcoming and an impromptu Kyrie, we're straight into the Epistle, etc.

[/quote]

Well, since there is no Gloria during Lent, that would be about right-- Entrance, Greeting, Penitential Act, Opening Prayer.

It's not until we get to the Canon of the Mass that my heart sinks as, to my extreme consternation the Canon is said out loud, not only by the priest, but the deacon and the whole congregation.

What's happening?

[/quote]

I think you would need to ask the priest this question.

I know the Gloria is omitted during Lent, what I meant to say was that the penitential rite was incredibly short insofar as it was nothing I'd heard before and then straight into the Epistle. No other prayers. But still the main point was the Canon. Thanks for replying.
Simon

Wait what? Is this particular Mass EF or OF?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear. This was an OF mass in our local village church.
The EF mass I attend throughout the year is at another church 35 minutes away, which isn’t used by it’s parish priest except for 2 or 3 times a year.

The priest who celebrates the EF mass, travels to the little used church each Sunday as we do and he is not its Parish priest. We just get the use of the church. We are in the process of asking the bishop if we can use this church permanently throughout the year and for baptisms, weddings, funerals, etc. We haven't had much luck so far as the parish priest is openly hostile to the EF and the Bishop wants to keep the peace. Still, we are very lucky to have what we have.

Yes, the Eucharistic Prayer is said out loud in the OF

not only by the priest, but the deacon and the whole congregation. What’s happening? Thankfully the words of consecration were said by the priest alone, but…

Well, there are acclamations during the Eucharistic Prayer that are said by everyone, but other than the Sanctus after the Preface, the ‘Mystery of Faith’ and the ‘Amen’ at the end of the Doxology, no member of the congregation should be speaking.

Some priests, in a mistaken desire to be inclusive and pastoral, have the congregation say the doxology ‘Through him, and with him…’. That is simply wrong.

[quote="Phemie, post:8, topic:315450"]
Yes, the Eucharistic Prayer is said out loud in the OF

Well, there are acclamations during the Eucharistic Prayer that are said by everyone, but other than the Sanctus after the Preface, the 'Mystery of Faith' and the 'Amen' at the end of the Doxology, no member of the congregation should be speaking.

Some priests, in a mistaken desire to be inclusive and pastoral, have the congregation say the doxology 'Through him, and with him...'. That is simply wrong.

[/quote]

I saw the same thing (The Canon being recited by everyone) last year while I was in France......I'm told it is quite common there.

Bill

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. What part of the Mass are you referring to when you say the Canon?

Last Sunday, 1st of Lent, was one of those Sundays and as there was to be mass said in our local village church we decided to attend with our fellow villagers. I am well versed in the "new" way of the cut down Litugry and have learned to assist at the "modern" mass in quietness and tolerance.

[/quote]

What if I were to post that we had the EF at my parish and that I tolerated this "old" and "over-done" Liturgy?

How do you think people would react?

-Tim-

[quote="maltmom, post:10, topic:315450"]
Please excuse my lack of knowledge. What part of the Mass are you referring to when you say the Canon?

[/quote]

The Eucharistic Prayer at the Consecration. "Canon" is an older name that doesn't get much use these days.

[quote="Rand_Al_Thor, post:12, topic:315450"]
The Eucharistic Prayer at the Consecration. "Canon" is an older name that doesn't get much use these days.

[/quote]

Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.