Liturgical Abuse?

I’d like to share something with you guys that happened at Mass recently which I found kind of disturbing. As I was walking up to the altar in the Communion line, I noticed that there was only the one priest and no extraordinary ministers administering Communion, so this priest was having to hand out the hosts to two lines of people. He was kind of swinging back and forth rapidly, left, right, so on and so forth. I guess it was all he could do to keep the lines from slowing down (heaven forbid). Anyway, the altar girl (arghh, I know, bear with me) was holding the paten (wooden rod attached to flat, circular piece of metal for catching hosts is the paten right?) underneath his hands, and sitting on it was a host. I was glad that the host had been caught and not fallen to the ground, but she was having to move just as fast as him, so here was this paten with the Consecrated Host on it precariously swinging back and forth, each time the host sliding around on the paten a little more in whatever direction it had been swung to, threatening to fall off. My question is, shouldn’t that host have been picked up off the paten and served immediately after it fell, or at least put back in the bowl to be served to someone else? I believe in the Real Presence, so I was basically looking on as Jesus was allowed to be swung around like that. It seemed disrespectful.

Should I say something to the priest?

[quote=CollegeKid]I believe in the Real Presence, so I was basically looking on as Jesus was allowed to be swung around like that. It seemed disrespectful.
[/quote]

The paten served its purpose (to prevent a Host from accidentally falling to the ground, which would be a much greater disrespect). Without knowing the circumstances of how this situation arose, it’s hard to draw a conclusion. Suppose, for example, that the Communicant received the Host on the tongue, but it fell off, and the Paten caught it. The Communicant may have stepped away (probably embarrassed by this situation). What do you do with the Host?

There are two correct answers to this question. The Host may be consumed by any Catholic in good standing. But, as the Host has been in direct contact with someone else’s tongue, many Catholics may be reluctant to do this (and this is not expected of them). Otherwise, the Host may be considered “spoiled,” and may be properly disposed of as any other “spoiled” (moldy, etc) Hosts (ie, dissolved in water and poured into a sacrarium). Since the Paten is purified as any other Communion vessels, this should be the course of action in this case (which is entirely proper and in accordance with Church practice and Canon Law).

so whenever we see a priest communicating according to the rubrics, rather than sitting in his chair while lay ministers do it, we will find something to criticize in his actions as well. well done, liturgy police, I am sure you got a lot out of your experience as you spent your time in reflection after communion pondering this incident. this bishop has allowed girls to serve on the altar, which is within his rights, so how do we know this priest didn’t inherit the situation. Advent would be a good time for all of us, particularly on the liturgy forum, to redirect our thoughts, minds and hearts at Mass on Jesus, and leave consideration of the peripherals to the priest, who is in charge. Unless you see a flagrant abuse that indicates a danger of an invalid or illicit Eucharist, just chill. Let nothing disturb you.

[quote=puzzleannie]so whenever we see a priest communicating according to the rubrics, rather than sitting in his chair while lay ministers do it, we will find something to criticize in his actions as well. well done, liturgy police, I am sure you got a lot out of your experience as you spent your time in reflection after communion pondering this incident. this bishop has allowed girls to serve on the altar, which is within his rights, so how do we know this priest didn’t inherit the situation. Advent would be a good time for all of us, particularly on the liturgy forum, to redirect our thoughts, minds and hearts at Mass on Jesus, and leave consideration of the peripherals to the priest, who is in charge. Unless you see a flagrant abuse that indicates a danger of an invalid or illicit Eucharist, just chill. Let nothing disturb you.
[/quote]

Sorry if I offended you, it was just my honest reaction to seeing this happen. And yes, I’m aware that altar girls are allowed, although I tend to frown on it because I tend to favor the more traditional practices. I assumed most of the people on this forum felt the same way, I guess I shouldn’t have jumped to that conclusion. God bless.

Are you available to help at Mass? I know it can be difficult while at college…you need to be able to study and you will need your rest too. HOWEVER, I think there may be something else the Holy Spirit might have revealed for you at Mass! Maybe a place for your service?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.