Liturgical Abuses?

Is it ok for a priest to say all instead of many in the Eucharistic Prayer? I feel like every priest over 40 in my archdiocese is doing this. They even say chalice so it’s clear the change is intentional. Also I wanted to tell you about something that happened at another parish community that I don’t usually attend but was close to so I did this week at mass. We were having a stewardship talk and a woman was giving it and when she did the priest said “If I was the bishop I would ordain you right now!”. No one blinked an eye in fact the church applauded him. Is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks
<><
LouisvilleRC

No, it isn't ok for a priest to change the Eucharistic prayer. Have you asked them about this?

This "stewardship talk" wasn't during the Mass, was it?

Contact the bishop for that diocese and explain the situation. It is not okay for a priest to be stating or implying support for things that go against Church doctrine.

I believe Jesus had some words on this.

And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more. ~Luke 12:47-48

If a priest has been ordained, he should certainly know the Lord’s will and understand the wisdom of the Church and should definitely not be acting against either one.

No do not contact the bishop over this.

Talk to the priest. Talk to parishioners. Older priests may slip into habits and words they have practiced for decades.
On the stewardship issue, talk to the woman who spoke. Talk to the priest. It may have been an off the cuff attempt at humor gone bad.

If you are concerned, get involved with your parish and help. Maybe God is bothering you with this to prod you to get involved. You won’t change things in any way by alleging abuse at everything that happens.

[quote="LouisvilleRC, post:1, topic:343469"]
Is it ok for a priest to say all instead of many in the Eucharistic Prayer? I feel like every priest over 40 in my archdiocese is doing this. They even say chalice so it's clear the change is intentional.

[/quote]

Just because the priest says part of the new words right, doen't mean he isn't still just stumbling or forgetting the other change. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Speak to your own priest and charitably ask him to work harder at remembering all the changes.

Since it is impossible that you've been to every Mass that every priest over 40 in your diocese is saying, you have no idea how often the priest says the entire prayer correctly or how often they stumble over this word vs another change.

Focus on your own prayers during Mass. We all make mistakes and are slow to change ingrained habits.

Also I wanted to tell you about something that happened at another parish community that I don't usually attend but was close to so I did this week at mass. We were having a stewardship talk and a woman was giving it and when she did the priest said "If I was the bishop I would ordain you right now!". No one blinked an eye in fact the church applauded him. Is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks
<><
LouisvilleRC

This is not your usual parish or priest, so you have no idea whether this priest truly believes in woman priests or if he was telling a bad joke. Many parishes will applaud after anyone speaks, so I wouldn't assume they were nesessarily approving of what this priest said.

Your best course of action is to pray for this priest and parish but try not to visit them again.

You should talk to the priest first to find out if he simply made mistakes or if he meant the changes and why. It would be disrespectful and uncharitable to accuse him (like you are publicly doing here) without talking to him. Your first step should not be to report him to the bishop, especially with empty accusations.
What happened to innocent until proven guilty??

[quote="LouisvilleRC, post:1, topic:343469"]
Is it ok for a priest to say all instead of many in the Eucharistic Prayer? I feel like every priest over 40 in my archdiocese is doing this. They even say chalice so it's clear the change is intentional. Also I wanted to tell you about something that happened at another parish community that I don't usually attend but was close to so I did this week at mass. We were having a stewardship talk and a woman was giving it and when she did the priest said "If I was the bishop I would ordain you right now!". No one blinked an eye in fact the church applauded him. Is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks
<><
LouisvilleRC

[/quote]

1) Saying "for all" is not acceptable. "For many" is what is supposed to be said. However, some older priests have said "for all" for so long, they are used to it and it is hard to adjust to "for many."
2) That priest spoke heresy, and probably incurred automatic excommunication for it. Some people are saying that it could have been a joke, but I cannot picture any priest making that kind of joke. Talk to the priest, and if he believes in heresy, contact the bishop immediately.

It sounds like he’s using the older formula. (The entire canon was reworded.) It’s not invalid* but the bishop does need to know about it. Also he’d probably want to know whether the priest was reading it or saying it from memory.

*OTOH if it’s just “you and for all” he may be changing the meaning altogether. There were fears this would happen.

[quote="ProVobis, post:8, topic:343469"]
It sounds like he's using the older formula. (The entire canon was reworded.) It's not invalid but the bishop does need to know about it.

[/quote]

The OP should speakt o the priest directly first. And then the pastor of the parish if the priest is not the pastor. Only after he has done this, and is sure the priest is obstinate and not just forgetful, should he approach the bishop.

[quote="bben15, post:7, topic:343469"]
2) That priest spoke heresy, and probably incurred automatic excommunication for it. Some people are saying that it could have been a joke, but I cannot picture any priest making that kind of joke. Talk to the priest, and if he believes in heresy, contact the bishop immediately.

[/quote]

Don't be so quick to judge.

All we know is what the poster wrote. The priest may have been speaking sarcastically.

Also, he didn't say he wants female ordination. He said that if he were a bishop, he would ordain that woman. There is a big different between saying "I want to ordain women" and "I wish I could ordain you." HUGE DIFFERENCE.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.