Liturgical CHANGE, kind of major!

DECREE

Paternas Vices

wdtprs.com/images2/13_06_17_Joseph_decree_lr.jpg

Apparently, all the main EPs will have St. Joseph's name in them now, not just the Roman Canon. I think that is very cool.

:)

Awesome!:thumbsup:

St Joseph, pray for us.

I’ll second that.

Funny, I was just listening to a podcast the other day saying how St. Joseph is one of the most overlooked and under-appreciated Saints. Looks like the Vatican is making a step to rectify that.

I was almost afraid to see any changes in liturgical legislation during this pontificate, for obvious reasons, but this change is awesome and tiny and wonderful. Kudos to the Holy Father for his wisdom.

Beautiful!:)

[quote="Elizium23, post:5, topic:330038"]
I was almost afraid to see any changes in liturgical legislation during this pontificate, for obvious reasons, but this change is awesome and tiny and wonderful. Kudos to the Holy Father for his wisdom.

[/quote]

I am heartened that it seems to have taken a long time, that this is not just some funky thing tacked-on after a popularity contest or something.. It seems to have begun under BXVI who then allowed his Congregation to study it, finally now culminating under Francis.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :bowdown2::bowdown2: :extrahappy::extrahappy: :clapping::clapping:

So after many years of effort, and a mere 18 or so months of use, the 3rd Typical Edition of the Roman Missal is now obsolete. Seems as if, having been in the works for some years per the linked Decree, St. Joseph's name would have been added as part of the 2011 release.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:9, topic:330038"]
So after many years of effort, and a mere 18 or so months of use, the 3rd Typical Edition of the Roman Missal is now obsolete. Seems as if, having been in the works for some years per the linked Decree, St. Joseph's name would have been added as part of the 2011 release.

[/quote]

The Third Typical Edition has been in use for more than ten years now, that being the Latin. The English translation is just that, a translation. No, it is not obsolete, nor is the typical edition. They will just come out with little stickers probably. Eventually, the changes will be phased in to future printings (current and future typical editions and translations). From a textual standpoint, this is extremely minor.

St. Joseph is probably thinking, "It's about time." :D

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:7, topic:330038"]
I am heartened that it seems to have taken a long time, that this is not just some funky thing tacked-on after a popularity contest or something.. It seems to have begun under BXVI who then allowed his Congregation to study it, finally now culminating under Francis.

[/quote]

We owe devotion to Joseph only after Jesus himself and Mary. We owe thanks to God for Jesus, Mary and then Joseph as the earthly father and protector of God and earthly husband of the Mother of God. The Church has declared this constantly throughout her history, and even if the Holy Father had thought it up this morning and declared it to be so this afternoon, it would be neither "Funky" nor "Tacked on", but would be a recognition of universal Church teaching for centuries, if not since the apostolic age.

The addition of St. Joseph's name to the liturgy in a formal way may have taken 60 years, but even if it took twenty minutes, it would simply be a recognition of the rightful place of St. Joseph in the universal Church of God.

-Tim-

Great quote from St. Joseph:

.... his walkin' did the talkin'.

Luke 2:51 He went down with them and came to Nazareth,*** and was obedient to them***; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

And Jesus ... did WHAAAT?! :yup: Well if GOD is honoring him ... so will I ! :extrahappy:

No WONDER Missouri named a town for THIS guy ! Two counting Carpentersville I suppose.

[quote="CaptFun, post:13, topic:330038"]
Great quote from St. Joseph:

.... his walkin' did the talkin'.

And Jesus ... did WHAAAT?! :yup: Well if GOD is honoring him ... so will I ! :extrahappy:

No WONDER Missouri named a town for THIS guy ! Two counting Carpentersville I suppose.

[/quote]

1. Josephville

This is brilliant news! One of the biggest boosts to the awareness of St Joseph amongst the laity. Thanks YoungTradCath! :D

Missouri has St. Louis too … hmm. California probably still has more cities named for Angels and saints, but not bad. Do Spanish names count? We’ve got San Jose! :slight_smile:

St. Joseph is the strong, silent saint. Too bad Gary Cooper didn’t play him. :wink:

[quote="CaptFun, post:16, topic:330038"]
Missouri has St. Louis too ... hmm. California probably still has more cities named for Angels and saints, but not bad. Do Spanish names count? We've got San Jose! :)

St. Joseph is the strong, silent saint. Too bad Gary Cooper didn't play him. ;)

[/quote]

Oh, mo has many many saint cities, towns, and counties, and street names named for saints.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:1, topic:330038"]
DECREE

Paternas Vices

wdtprs.com/images2/13_06_17_Joseph_decree_lr.jpg

Apparently, all the main EPs will have St. Joseph's name in them now, not just the Roman Canon. I think that is very cool.

:)

[/quote]

You scared me there for a second there when I saw this in the new threads bar, I thought it was another missal translation haha. This is great! :D

I find it odd that Fr. Z's blog is the only place where this is reported. None of the priests in my parish has heard about it. Our diocesan director of worship hasn't heard about it, and it is not on any Catholic news sites or on Vatican news service. Why are they keeping this news hidden?

Well, this is one of those “protocol” decrees, which is typically different from your average run-of-the-mill public Curial decree. These aren’t exactly secret, but they generally aren’t published publically. He got it from a USCCB source, probably the newsletter of the Secretariat on Divine Liturgy or whatever they call it. It’s a rather obscure publication, but you can find it, and it does contain good information.

I doubt Fr. Z would fake all this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.