Liturgical Dancers

Do you have Liturgical Dancers in your Parish? How do you feel about them? (BE CHARITABLE PLEASE :eek: )

Could someone give some background on what the heck liturgical dance/dancers are? I have heard of them, but never seen (nor do I want to). What’t the idea behind it?

The parish I was in Had them … but we have since moved - and no dancing insite! :amen:

We have had liturgical dancers in our parish before for various prayer services which I found very moving. I do believe however, that they are either no longer permitted in church or during Mass.

Nope we don’t have them and thankfully never will, so long as the priest who is currently in charge of liturgy remains. I’ve seen praise dance and worship dance at non-denominational churches, and I have to say I’m glad it hasn’t accosted us. I think that one can certainly praise God with dance, but not at Mass, nor during a religious ceremony that is focused on scriptural teaching. If one is going to have a pageant or play or other type of musical program it is a wonderful way of worshiping God, but it ought to be presented as such.

As a general rule it is not to be done. There are exceptions depending on the culture.

See cin.org/users/james/questions/q048.htm

My parish did have liturgical dancers a few years ago. I think that there was a big enough stink over it that parish “liturgy committee” quit using them.

Behold the horror of liturgical dance!

stalphonsusrock.org/downloads/640x480.jpg :mad:

stalphonsusrock.org/downloads/640x480_2.jpg :mad:

stalphonsusrock.org/downloads/640_photo005.jpg :mad:

stalphonsusrock.org/downloads/640_photo004.jpg :mad:

stalphonsusrock.org :crying:

No we don’t have them…Praise the Lord!
:smiley:

[quote=SteveG]Could someone give some background on what the heck liturgical dance/dancers are? I have heard of them, but never seen (nor do I want to). What’t the idea behind it?
[/quote]

I will try to explain liturgical dance as best I can. I have only seen it on one occasion, and that was at a Mass celebrated by a cardinal.

At the Mass I was at, the dancers did a sort of ballet in the aisles during the processional, offertory, and recessional. The dancers were used to bring up the gifts at the offertory. It greatly detracted from the solemnity of the occasion to have these 20 or so dancing about the cathedral. (They also could have used a modesty talk.)

From everything I have read on the subject, I have found no evidence that liturgical dancing is licit in Western Culture. The only cultures in which liturgical dancing is permitted is those in which dancing is considered intrinsically religious.

Speaking charitably, when liturgical dancers come upon the scene in parishes were dancing is not an ethnic or cultural form of worship, the bishop of that diocese should be handy with his crook, to yank them off. Exit, stage left!
:tiphat:

Pax Christi. <><

[quote=Panis Angelicas]Speaking charitably, when liturgical dancers come upon the scene in parishes were dancing is not an ethnic or cultural form of worship, the bishop of that diocese should be handy with his crook, to yank them off. Exit, stage left!
:tiphat:

Pax Christi. <><
[/quote]

i love it!!! :clapping: :clapping:

[quote=ktm]Behold the horror of liturgical dance!

KTM:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you attend this parish …??? :confused:

:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:
[/quote]

We have had dancers at masses for special occasions and I though it looked rather silly. It was quite distracting. One lady who was trying to push for it more often actually said “If singing is like praying twice then dancing is like praying three times” I’m not making this up. It took everything inside me to keep from laughing.

We had some for a short period, but now they have somehow dissapeared. I really don’t know why, but I’m glad they’re gone. I could never figure out what they represented.

Pretty awful, isn’t it? No I don’t attend this parish. I don’t even live in the same state. :smiley: I personally have never witnessed a clown mass (check it out) or liturgical dance, and I hope I never do!

[quote=ktm]Pretty awful, isn’t it? No I don’t attend this parish. I don’t even live in the same state. :smiley: I personally have never witnessed a clown mass (check it out) or liturgical dance, and I hope I never do!
[/quote]

You do have something to be thankful for! :slight_smile:

Someone (I forgot who) who posts on this forum has the signature “There will be plenty of time in purgatory for liturgical dancing.” I agree.

My sisters’ former parish had liturgical dancers at the Easter Vigil this year. The dancers were wearing white leotards, and the whole church was dark, and they had black lights in the choir loft. So the liturgical dancers glowed in the dark! This was set to a sort of tribal drum beat… you begin to understand why this is my sister’s former parish!

[quote=Bobby Jim]My sisters’ former parish had liturgical dancers at the Easter Vigil this year. The dancers were wearing white leotards, and the whole church was dark, and they had black lights in the choir loft. So the liturgical dancers glowed in the dark! This was set to a sort of tribal drum beat… you begin to understand why this is my sister’s former parish!
[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: SOUNDS LIKE A NIGHTMARE!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.