"Liturgical" Dancers

At the Washing of the Feet Mass Celebration, we had liturgical dancers floating about with bowls of incense. Which is the first time I have seen incense burned in our church in the 2 years I’ve been there (for shame). Then they came back last weekend, making a lot of us very uncomfortable. Is liturgical dancing acceptable? If so, when did this begin? Is there historical documentation of this practice proving it right or wrong that I could study?

[quote=KGalvan]At the Washing of the Feet Mass Celebration, we had liturgical dancers floating about with bowls of incense. Which is the first time I have seen incense burned in our church in the 2 years I’ve been there (for shame). Then they came back last weekend, making a lot of us very uncomfortable. Is liturgical dancing acceptable? If so, when did this begin? Is there historical documentation of this practice proving it right or wrong that I could study?
[/quote]

…nope, i can’t do it, i can’t stand it… chairity be darned… i don’t like it… ok, if you have nothing good to say…

It is not allowed in the West during the Mass.

This may be of some help.

adoremus.org/Dance.html

Religious eladers in the Bible danced before God to do him honor, but I just don’t like seeing that at a mass. Personally, I feel that it is a distraction and I can’t take it seriously. It resonates (to me) like a bad skit on postmodernism influence in the chruch.

I suppose theologically, nothing is wrong of the intent is to demonstrate reverence. David himself danced before th Ark of the Covenant, and his wife who told him he looked fooloish for doing so was struck with barreness for the rest of her life for thinking it was not a good idea. Far be it for me to argue with that. But I have no interest in deliberately attending any mass that incorporates so much movement. I have a more prayerful state of mind in silence and stillness.

[quote=serendipity]I suppose theologically, nothing is wrong . . . .
[/quote]

The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, has publicly criticized dance in the Liturgy, as it reduces this sacred rite to a spectacle.

There is nothing wrong with “liturgical Dancers”. However, per the Vatican it is not to be done within the liturgy of the mass. So the term “liturgical” is a misnomer. As B16 would say, it is “verboten”.
Sure David danced before the Lord but he didnt dance in the temple.
see
adoremus.org/0205LiturgicalDance.html and

blessedsacrament.com/theology/q146.html

Thank you all for your responses. I understand better now and truly appreciate the time you took to help me learn more about my faith. K.Galvan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.