Liturgical 'go-go' dancing?

If there is any doubt that Liturgical Dancing here in the West is an abomination then look at this:

renewamerica.us/columns/abbott/070619

Disgusting.

on a positive note, if you look at the backs of the heads in the audience, they’re mostly white or grey . . . the girls doing the dancing are in a minority in their generation of Catholics. As the children of the 60’s move out of the picture, this sort of display will probably die off with them.

Did those girls forget to wear their dresses over the slips? You can see the underwear of one of the girls on the right. I don’t understand this. I don’t consider myself a prude, but I guess I’m one when it come to being in mass at church. As the writer said, I also appreciate good dancing. I love going to the ballet or viewing almost any other kind of dance at the theater, but during mass and especially in an outfit like that just seems wrong.

That’s what I thought. It’s like (well, I imagine it’s like) a female nightmare - “I suddenly realized I’m at Mass and I’m wearing nothing but my slip!”

I am getting lightheaded and a bit dizzy now. Gotta run. Hope I can make it to the bathroom in time.

LOL!!! :rotfl: Yes, you are absolutely right. It is like a female nightmare. Although, when I was a teenager, it was more like showing up at mass or in school with just a bra and underwear. Talk about STRESS!!!

I guess I will be the first nay sayer.

I do not trust anonymous photos over the internet. They can easily be doctored and these photos, mainly the first too have an odd feeling to them, that is besides what is going on in them.

Especially the second one.

Why not give us the whole photos and who took them? Why not give us the name of the religious order?

Just smells a bit fishy to me.

I trust Matt Abbott to not have an agenda.

It said on the page:
“Franciscan Jubilee Mass for a group of women religious at the cathedral in the Joliet, Ill., Catholic diocese.”

He also said that the photos were cropped to remove the faces of the girls, so as to not identify them.

Pax Tecum,
Penitent

I am not saying it is him, where did these pictures come from?

The second one looks very odd. From this angel it appears that the presider is still praying over the gifts on the altar. If this is so then how is it that his hand appears over the dancer? Is her torso on the altar? The lighting on the presider and the dancer seem to be different also.

Matt may not have an agenda but maybe who supplied the pics does.

I am not saying it is him, where did these pictures come from?

The second one looks very odd. From this angel it appears that the presider is still praying over the gifts on the altar. If this is so then how is it that his hand appears over the dancer? Is her torso on the altar? The lighting on the presider and the dancer seem to be different also.

Matt may not have an agenda but maybe who supplied the pics does.

And the last line of this article can make some people wonder if maybe there is an agenda there.

And this does not answer any of the questions I asked. Waht women religious group. Who took this pictures? When did it happen? These are all valid questions to be raised.

I sent an E-Mail to Matt for outside confirmation. Looking at the 2nd photo I see what you are trying to say but remember that lighting would be different for the Priest in front of the Altar than anywhere else as is common for a lot of churches. The Altar is where Bread and Wine are made into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

I would say that the Presider (Priest) appears to be very near to the dancer but that is because of the angle that the picture is taken from.

I agree with your skepticism. The skin tones of the girl - and there’s a lot of skin TO tone - in the first and second pictures seems completely different from those of everyone else in the picture. Your “hand” comment about the second picture is also correct. Finally, since these girls would have “done their thing” in front of everyone in the cathedral, why the need to hide their identities? No one is alleging that they did anything criminal.

Those few times when I have seen anything close to “liturgical dancing” have always been when the presider is seated, not engaged in the liturgy itself. I could be wrong, but seems fishy to me.

Pray, pray, and pray some more for revival.

We could just contact the Cathedral in Joliet, IL and find out if something like this actually occurred there. What would be the name of the cathedral?

I think the next level (after vomiting, of course) would be to go beyond being upset at what happened, and actually move forward to being upset that it is allowed to happen. Why are all these parishes, convents, retreat centers allowed to continue engaging in this sin they call “progressive” ahem, ‘Catholicism’? I don’t understand how the system works, but I don’t understand why this stuff isn’t being stopped, either. If there’s a dissident parish, chastise them or close them down, same with dissident priests, nuns, bishops, etc. Stamp them out immediately. I don’t understand why they’re allowed to continue. I don’t even understand why there’s a liberal fraction in the Vatican that is allowed to exist, or even feel comfortable enough to publicly express themselves as progressive. I just don’t get it. Shouldn’t it be shape up or ship out?

Sorry, I assumed you were wondering who was celebrating the mass, rather than who was it being celebrated for.

Pax Tecum,
Penitant

:mad: I’m disgusted. I would’ve walked out the church if it happened in our parish.

I couldn’t help doing a bit of sleuthing on this because the pictures are just so shocking.

Click on the links for independent verification of each item.

On June 16, 2007, a Jubilee Mass was celebrated for the Joliet Franciscans (women’s religious order), at Joliet’s cathedral of St. Raymond Nonnatus. Father Charles Faso, OFM, was presider. (CLICK HERE for a photo of Fr. Chuck.)

The above information supports some of the information in the OP’s article:

[LIST]
*]There was a Jubilee Mass.
*]It was for women Franciscans.
*]It was at Joliet’s cathedral.
*]It was celebrated by Father Charles Faso, OFM, who bears a resemblance to the priest in the photos.
*]The Mass was June 16, and the OP’s article was dated June 19.
[/LIST]

Were there dancers? That’s the single thing I couldn’t verify. But why would someone go to the trouble of doctoring a bunch of photos, adding scantily-clad “vestal virgins”?

Inquiring minds want to know!

'thann

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.