Liturgical Latin

Hello folks. I work in the music ministry. I currently play organ in a NO parish, but I am interested in expanding my repertoire and especially becoming familiar with the EF Mass. Can anyone advise me on resources to gain a foundation in Latin to the point where I can understand what is being said in Latin hymns, chants, etc? I am not looking to become totally literate, of course, but have a better idea of the meanings without having to look them up. Just so you know, I already know a few liturgical phrases such as those in the Mass ordinaries that I had to study when I got my music degree,:thumbsup: so Latin is not a totally alien language to me.

Thanks for any replies!

:thumbsup:

You might want to consider contacting the editor at NLM. The gentleman is deeply into music and it's not unlikely that he can help. :)

[quote="eyesopening, post:1, topic:335968"]
Hello folks. I work in the music ministry. I currently play organ in a NO parish, but I am interested in expanding my repertoire and especially becoming familiar with the EF Mass. Can anyone advise me on resources to gain a foundation in Latin to the point where I can understand what is being said in Latin hymns, chants, etc? I am not looking to become totally literate, of course, but have a better idea of the meanings without having to look them up. Just so you know, I already know a few liturgical phrases such as those in the Mass ordinaries that I had to study when I got my music degree,:thumbsup: so Latin is not a totally alien language to me.

Thanks for any replies!

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Where did you get your degree? Go back to the Music Department and see if you can find a referral (master teacher I should think).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.