Liturgical music

Where can I find and download from the web regulations for Mass choirs encouraging them to help the people sing?

If I were you, I'd schedule some of the well-known songs, so that at least everybody makes an attempt at singing. Otherwise, if it's just the choir and their soprano voices, singing some brand new and unknown song, nobody will join in. So go for the traditional stuff.

I went to a Latin mass once, and the choir was so incredible, singing the most lovely gregorian chants. The congregation felt no need to sing along, although they could if they wanted to (the sheet music was in the pews). They sang loud and proud the opening and closing songs, which were traditional ones that all of them knew by heart. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that traditionally, the congregation has not been compelled to sing along at certain songs, because the choir is just as important as altar boys, and so their function is different from that of the congregation (not just cheerleaders.)

Sonitus Sanctus is a site where you can download a lot of Catholic mp3's, and there is a section that has a lot of chants to listen to if you are interested. It is not only easy, but really enhances the mass to sing like this.

God bless :)
Ljubim

Start with the appropriate liturgical documents:

Tra le Sollecitudini-1903
adoremus.org/TraLeSollecitudini.html

Musica Sacram-1967
adoremus.org/MusicamSacram.html#anchor15515063

Chirograph on Sacred Music-2003
adoremus.org/Chirograph-SacredMusic.html

Sacramentum Caritatis-2007
adoremus.org/SacramentumCaritatis.html

I hope this helps you.

Sing to the Lord on the USCCB website.

[quote="pnewton, post:4, topic:183327"]
Sing to the Lord on the USCCB website.

[/quote]

That one doesn't have the force of law and only applies to the US. The documents listed by benedictgal are from Rome and DO have the force of law.

[quote="Ruggere, post:1, topic:183327"]
Where can I find and download from the web regulations for Mass choirs encouraging them to help the people sing?

[/quote]

There is one thing you have to remember. According to the GIRM, the only things that can't be sung by the choir alone are the acclamations and responses and the post-Communion hymn. Everything else, including the Gloria, includes the option "sung by the choir alone".

When you think about it, it makes sense. We'd never be able to use some of the beautiful Latin settings if the congregation HAD to participate by singing. When the choir sings alone we participate by listening.

I am aware of that. It is only a set of guidelines. However, it is more detailed than anything that has a force of law and I have found it helpful as a guide. It is not like it is some blog. It is, after all, on the USCCB website. I would think that at least someone in the United States besides myself might find it useful.

My only concern with recommending Sing to the Lord is the fact that some of what it recommends runs contrary, as I see it, to what the documents say. One glaring example is the claim that one can add additonal tropes to the Agnus Dei (similar to what Marty Haugen has done in Mass of Creation). We are not supposed to add any new texts to the official prayers of the Church. Furthermore, while the document comes from the USCCB, it pass by the necessary 2/3 vote of the Latin Rite bishops in order for it to be sent to Rome for the necessary recognitio. Thus, while it has some recommendations, it is not binding.

What is the URL for “Sing to the Lord” on the USCCB web site? Thank you.

[quote="Ruggere, post:9, topic:183327"]
What is the URL for "Sing to the Lord" on the USCCB web site? Thank you.

[/quote]

usccb.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf

I tried to link it and failed earlier.

What benedictgal said is all true. I do not know the reasoning behind the difference in the Agnus Dei, but if my diocese followed this document, I would not complain about the extra tropes. On the other hand, I won't use them. It seems inappropriate to me in light of the GIRM.

One more thing, don't forget to come back here if you have any questions. Surprisingly enough, we do not always agree. :D But you can still get good suggests and then use what seems of value to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.