Liturgical Music

Hello,

I have been a dedicated Christian my whole life and have now come into the fullness of truth! I will be accepted into the Catholic Church this Easter! It has been a major transition in my life. I am a church musician and I have played the piano and most recently the organ for Protestant services as my income for many years. I realize that my musical skills are up to the task of accepting a position in music for the Catholic Church, but I was wondering if any of you pianists or organists who play in church could advise me on resources that I could turn to for learning more about the liturgical music tradition of Catholicism. I am interested in pursuing the job of music director in a Catholic church, but I feel that my protestant experience is inadequate to simply walk into a leadership position. What are your recommendations? Thanks all!!

[quote="eyesopening, post:1, topic:315998"]
Hello,

I have been a dedicated Christian my whole life and have now come into the fullness of truth! I will be accepted into the Catholic Church this Easter! It has been a major transition in my life. I am a church musician and I have played the piano and most recently the organ for Protestant services as my income for many years. I realize that my musical skills are up to the task of accepting a position in music for the Catholic Church, but I was wondering if any of you pianists or organists who play in church could advise me on resources that I could turn to for learning more about the liturgical music tradition of Catholicism. I am interested in pursuing the job of music director in a Catholic church, but I feel that my protestant experience is inadequate to simply walk into a leadership position. What are your recommendations? Thanks all!!

[/quote]

There is the Church Music Association of America. They have a colloquium every summer in June. I think this year's is in Utah. My husband went to it and he really learned alot!

Don't underestimate your gifts.

Walk into the average Catholic parish church and you will find the hymnals currently in use. Visiting several churches may give you a broader perspective.

There is PLENTY of room for improvement of music in the American Catholic Church.

The music director is usually very closely directed by the pastor of the parish. Music is generally not considered to be "performed" at the Catholic Mass, very often. Music is used basically as an adjunct to prayer, in general, and to melodize parts of the Mass.

But, I think there's PLENTY of room for improvement in all areas.

One "genre" of music that is underutilized is some sort of performance before mass of an instrumental hymn.

There is generally a rule to not extend the Mass beyond an hour in length. IF people arrive for Mass upto 30 minutes before Mass begins, and if Mass takes 60 minutes, people get restless, I believe.

Hello,

I am interested in pursuing the job of music director in a Catholic church, but I feel that my protestant experience is inadequate to simply walk into a leadership position. What are your recommendations? Thanks all!!

[/quote]

First - Congratulations and Welcome!

Second - Just a suggestion - I do not know what is available in your area, but with that increase in online courses, it may not matter, but there is at least one Catholic college that offers a degree in Pastorial Music Ministry. So perhaps you could check into possible courses in that field of study? (No implication intended that someone must have this degree or that someone with it is better than someone without! Just saying it's out there as a possible resource.)

Here is a good site that connects to both EF and OF music. renegoupil.org/

It may take a little getting use to but its really helpful. And if you can afford it, attend the Music Colloquiam offered each year. I believe it was mentioned in an earlier post.

[quote="corsair, post:5, topic:315998"]
Here is a good site that connects to both EF and OF music. renegoupil.org/

It may take a little getting use to but its really helpful. And if you can afford it, attend the Music Colloquiam offered each year. I believe it was mentioned in an earlier post.

[/quote]

Thank you for that link! I will definitely explore this site.

Thank you all for the rest of the replies so far. Still learning!!

Hello,

[/quote]

Some resources that might be of interest to you:
musicasacra.com/
b16schola.org/
ccwatershed.org/blog/categories/loft/
adoremus.org/

And, learning what the Church teaches on music in the Liturgy would be a great idea as well:
adoremus.org/SacrosanctumConcilium.html
adoremus.org/MusicamSacram.html
adoremus.org/MotuProprio.html

Welcome Home!

:thumbsup::slight_smile:

You have already received great advice, so I won't repeat them. I'm a cradle Catholic and have been involved in music liturgy since I was in the second grade and now do it as part of my music profession. I'm still learning and still don't know it all, so don't feel intimidated or discouraged. One of my music directors at one of the church's regularly work at is Protestant and has mostly a Protestant background in music, but she has worked hard to learn the liturgy and what is appropriate. She will sometimes consult me or will be open to me expressing that one piece may not be appropriate for mass even if it is beautiful and would be appropriate for a Protestant service. Another former music director I had was a Lutheran, and he actually knew more of what was appropriate than some Catholic music directors I worked with. But he worked in Catholic music ministry for decades.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.