Liturgical Revival?

I’ve heard some talk over the past few months about young people and young adults these days turning back from contemporary worship styles to more traditional, liturgical styles. I was actually planning on writing a paper on it for my Christian Life class. Does anybody know of any resources (books, journal articles, online websites) that I could use to research such a topic?

I’m interested in seeing how it’s panning out in the various liturgical denominations. I presume my own Lutheran church body isn’t feeling it as much as the Catholic and Orthodox churches are. If you have any information on this, I’d be interested in hearing it as well.

Thank you!

I don’t remember for sure, but I think I read something about this in an issue of Christianity Today** probably 1-2 years ago. You might want to check their website or possibly a library that carries the magazine.

This may be slightly off topic but my brother who left the Church years ago belongs to an evangelical Mega Church in TX. Over the last 10 years their worship and theology has shifted towards traditionalism. With that has come a movement towards litirugical worship that has gradually become more and more Catholic like. In fact I checked their website out and it was downright spooky. This comes from a church that 10 years ago had NO liturgy.

I have a friend who goes to a non-denominational church. He told me his pastor just recently told them they need to do some research and journey back to their jewish roots and how the ‘early church’ worshipped after Christ. I don’t think they realize where their journey is going to lead them if they are really in search of and open to the truth…:smiley:

Can you post the link from the website?

Check out the Traditional Catholic forum. In it you will find many people who wish for the days of reverance and solemnity in the Liturgy. The traditional congregations and orders of priests are strong and growing.

My sister belongs to a Church or Christ. They too are doing lots of liturgical study as decn2b says. The Church in her wisdom of course has always known that liturgical expression is important to our faith and worship. I guess it was thrown out by so many protestants for no other reason than it is “Catholic”.

The Church of Christ considers itself to be the early church. I asked my sister if they used the didache. HMMMM never heard of it.

Not to attack other churches or even your sister. But is the CHurch of Christ Congregationalist?

The UCC here in my town is a Liberal Bastion. They are the ones who had the ads on tv Click this link to go to their telvision site and view some of their commercials. The one called ejector pew is one that is particularly amusing even with a “gay” reference to it. Check out ther TV campaign website.stillspeaking.com/media/

There are several good sites about Catholic traditional renewal. One place that I highly recomend is thenewliturgicalmovement.blogspot.com/. This blog is run by some very informative people who are interested in the liturgy and its tradition. You can search the arcives for aritcles, email Shawn Tribe who runs the site or post a comment in one of the recent posts and someone will probably help you. Also the organization Una Voce has a youth section. You can find their American site her unavoce.org/. There is also a site run by a pair of anglicans who converted to catholicism. They have some very interesting articles. Ther site is found here: ancient-future.net/

Hope this helps!

There are two very interesting books that address this: Young and Catholic by Tim Drake, and The New Faithful by Colleen Carroll Campbell. Very inspiring and you might find them helpful.

Here’s a link to an article that is interesting. GenX Protestants are becoming more interested in liturgy. christianstudy.homestead.com/files/October2002print.pdf

You guys are all great…thanks!

Not really liturgically based - but I’ve just read a book by Mike Yaconnelli which is called “Contemplative Youth Ministry”. It’s a desire for a return to the age old ways of conecting with God and is further evidence that many non-catholics may be yearning for “new” ways of connecting with God and are turning to the old masters for guidance.
It may be a fad for many non-catholics but I’m hoping that it encourages Catholics themselves to dig into the wealth of spirituality they have at their fingertips, but rarely take advantage of. This is actaully where I’m going with my youth ministry at the moment and it appears to be bearing fruit with our young people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.