Liturgy and Modernism

I'm currently reading Recovery of the Sacred by Dr. James Hitchcock, and I found a quote that was quite interesting. I wondered what you thought about it and what you think the repercussions of it might be for our modern problems.

It has been pointed out that the struggle to preserve traditional religion always has the effect of changing it, frequently in ways which its defenders do not perceive.17 This has been recognized by the Church in the fact that new dogmas have often been defined, and new devotions introduced, specifically in response to heresies. Orthodox definitions must always be in conformity with the original truth, but they can move the Church in directions it had not moved previously. Ironically, therefore, challenges to the Church to become relevant do usually have the effect of stimulating it to change, but not in the ways the modernizers have sought. This is one of the means by which petrification is avoided.

In Roman Catholicism a devotion to traditional liturgy almost inevitably has the effect of preserving orthodoxy, since these rituals are the concrete substance of the Church’s life, in which its total meaning is embodied.

adoremus.org/0606RecoverySacred.html

I can see how thatt can be. the heresy of monophysism came out as a reaction to nestorianism.

"challenges to the Church to become relevant do usually have the effect of stimulating it to change, but not in the ways the modernizers have sought."

I can almost see homer simpson saying "DOH!"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.