Liturgy book

Can lay people have a look at the litrugy book? I would like to look something up that I missed at mass today, a part of the prayers in the beginning when we ask God for His mercy. Can this be looked up online? And is it the same everywhere? I am in Switzerland.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kathrin

The Ordinary of the Mass is here. That might answer your question. There are 3 options for the Penitential Rite (which can be omitted if there is a sprinkling Rite or if a Baptism or Wedding is taking place) so you might actually not have ‘missed’ anything. What you are used to might have been omitted.

catholic-church.org/dg/Mass/mass.htm

In addition to the web site already offered, there’s this one:

catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm

You could also (politely, of course!) ask the priest if you could take a look at the physical book. It’s called the Missal or Sacramentary.

The introductory text to the Penitential Rite can be a bit free-form, and the invocations in the “Lord have mercy / Christ have mercy / Lord have mercy” (if your priests uses that form of the Penitential Rite) can change. But maybe you were asking about the Confiteor (“I confess to almighty God…”), in which case you can look at the links given to find the present English translation of that text. But perhaps you want the Swiss version!

Thanks all:)
They were using a special penitentiary rite because of Easter I think, the first was something like “You are risen from the dead - Lord have mercy” and then the next one I missed. The woman who read them said they were from the book. But maybe I shouldn’t take missing it so seriously.
Kathrin

The Penitential Rite, form C, says:
The priest (or other suitable minister) makes the following or other invocations:
If your priest did not opt for “other” invocations, he might have used form v or vi:
v
You raise the dead to life in the spirit:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring pardon and peace to the sinner:
Christ, have mercy.

You bring light to those in darkness:
Lord, have mercy.

vi
Lord Jesus, you raise us to new life:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you forgive us our sins:
Christ, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you feed us with your body and blood:
Lord, have mercy.

tee

There was a time when the laity carried their own missals to church. There were no missalettes in the pews. So yes, the prayers of the Mass are available for anybody.

There is also Option B which we use a lot in our parish (and if I understand correctly, its from a psalm).

Priest: Lord, we have sinned against You.
People: Lord have mercy.
Priest: Lord, show us Your mercy and love.
People: And grant us Your salvation.

The present translation of Form B is a bit off… but here’s a bit about the upcoming translation:
In Form B, the priest and the congregation speak two prayers for mercy from Scripture. First, the priest says “Have mercy on us, O Lord,” to which we respond “For we have sinned against you.”

The priest speaks the first half of Baruch 3:2, and we respond with the second half. This profession of guilt reminds us of our need to live holy lives “worthy of the calling to which you have been called.” (Eph. 4:1) The plea for mercy reminds us of how ready God is to bestow the abundance of His gracious mercy upon us.

Then the priest says “Show us, O Lord, your mercy,” to which we respond, “And grant us your salvation.”

Again, the priest begins Psalm 85:7 and we complete it. We do not simply ask the Lord for mercy, but for His salvation. The Lord Jesus did not come to earth simply to forgive our sins, but to “lead us, with our sins forgiven, to eternal life,” as the priest says in the prayer at the end of the Penitential Rite. Through Jesus Christ, we have not only the forgiveness of our sins, but the hope of eternal salvation.

He should not let anyone touch the sacramentary.
or anything else on the altar used in mass. they are holy items.

I kind of had the feeling it might be something like that.
Maybe it’s better like that too.

While I agree they ought not be treated as mundane objects, I know of no prohibition against touching the altar pieces.

:twocents:
tee

Anyone can touch the Sacramentary. And the candles. And the corporals. Etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.