Liturgy [Brackets]

:confused:Who is in charge of determing which parts of Sacred Liturgy should be put into [Brackets]
to be omitted in the readings ?

When did this practice come into effect ?

I know it is an option to use or not use the [Bracket] but WHO came up with this idea to
short-change the WORD OF GOD …and Why ?
:

I assume you’re only referring to the readings, not to any other part of the liturgy. As to that, this was done when the modern lectionary was created. The modern cycle of readings contains way, way more of the Bible than it did before Vatican II, so I think we’re still in pretty good shape in terms of the amount that gets read. There’s no worry that anything is getting “short-changed.”

My own personal experience has, happily, generally been that the long form gets read. I guess that’s not the case elsewhere?

don’t think thats its short changing the Word of God, lets you expand the argument to include that the entire New Testament be read every Sunday. hey, one chapter is shortchanging from an entire book, ain’t it?

apparently not. but we did have a pastor who likes to read everything including whats optional. i hope our new pastor is the same way

although for Easter Vigil, he only read 5 of the 7 Old Testament readings even though only 2 are required. i feel shortchanged :rolleyes:

Actually, the Roman Canon does have brackets in it in several parts. For example, in the enumeration of the various saints, some are bracketed.

At our parish we seem to always do the short form(s). :shrug:

If we were to take the concept of short-changing the word of the Lord, the next question would be to question why the entirety of Scripture is not read over the course of the 3 year cycle, no?

And the answer would be: The faithful are not limited to receiving the Word of God through the liturgy alone.

tee

The Congregation for divine worship and discipline of the Sacraments, under the authority of the Pope, is responsible for the production of the liturgical materials. While the materials themselves are promulgated (published) by the authority of the Pope.

“Regulation of the sacred liturgy depends solely on the authority of the Church, that is, on the Apostolic See and, as laws may determine, on the bishop.

1. In virtue of power conceded by the law, the regulation of the liturgy within certain defined limits belongs also to various kinds of competent territorial bodies of bishops legitimately established.

2. Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority.” SC 22

This is true, but it doesn’t really address the advantages or disadvantages of limiting scripture during the liturgy. Unless you mean to suggest that it matters not at all how much scripture is included at mass, since the faithful are free to read or hear the rest in non-liturgical settings. I would also suggest that in some cases, especially in the past, the faithful were limited to receiving the Word of God through the liturgy alone.

i think the priest should decide if he’ll use the full one or the short form to coincice with his homily

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.