Liturgy of the Hours - Christian Prayer Question

**Perhaps someone can help answer a question regarding how to properly perform Tuesday Morning Prayer. ( tommorrow )

Tommorrow is the Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. **

**Question : **
**This being currently the Christmas Season - do we use the Reading, Responsory, Canticle and Intercession from Season or from the Common of Holy Women ? **

**By the Guide for Christian Prayer 2005 we are directed to the Common of Religious ( which defaults to Common of Holy Women ) and no notation is made of the Christmas Season. **

Thanks in advance for your help.

[quote=CathyM]Perhaps someone can help answer a question regarding how to properly perform Tuesday Morning Prayer. ( tommorrow )

**Tommorrow is the Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. **

**Question : **
**This being currently the Christmas Season - do we use the Reading, Responsory, Canticle and Intercession from Season or from the Common of Holy Women ? **

**By the Guide for Christian Prayer 2005 we are directed to the Common of Religious ( which defaults to Common of Holy Women ) and no notation is made of the Christmas Season. **

Thanks in advance for your help.
[/quote]

No need to worry about the Christmas season: we’ve passed Epiphany. Use the 4-week Psalter with its antiphons and take the rest from the common, except the prayer of the day (and the second reading for the Office of Readings, of course.).

I haven’t bought my Guide for 2005 and I get confused also. That’s what I get for doing it thelazy way and using the guide insteadof how I was taught.

***Thank you for you help. ***

**We have never been formally taught the LIturgy of the Hours by ****any religious or clergy - however thru this Forum we have been able to access internet information to help us get started. **

**It’s been a struggle to participate in the "unceasing prayer’ of the Church however with time, devotion and patience our prayer life has been richly rewarded. **

**Morning Prayer begins our day’s dedication to the Lord and **
**unites us in His Name. **

**Thanks again. **

Y’all absolutely must get yourselves a copy of The Divine Office for Dodos (Devout, obedient, disciples of Our Savior) by Madeline Pecora Nugent. It is indispensable in learning to say the Divine Office. Comes with a special set of ribbons and bookmarks and instructions on how to use them. It also give all the etiquette of the office: when to bow, make the sign of the cross, etc. Takes all the struggle out of it!

It is available through the Confraternity of Penitents gift shop. This link is directly to the book.
penitents.org/giftshopdodos.html

Sorry about posting this late but I didn’t have my Liturgy with me yesterday. Just in case you are still wondering. The guide for today says.

Still using Volume 1 (Advent/Christmas)
From Com of Rel 1554
OOR 1554, PS 834, Rd 584 & 1689, Pr 1691
MP 1558, Ps 839, Pr 1691 DP 844, And, Rd, etc. 598
EP 1560, Ps 847, Pr 1691, NP 1178

This is for the 4 book version. In a nutshell you are supposed to use the Common of the Religious for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton but since the Common of the Religious doesn’t have Psalms or Readings associated with it, the Psalms come from the normal Psalms for the day and the Readings come from the Christmas season section from Epipany to Baptism of the Lord section.

[quote=mercygate]Y’all absolutely must get yourselves a copy of The Divine Office for Dodos (Devout, obedient, disciples of Our Savior) by Madeline Pecora Nugent. It is indispensable in learning to say the Divine Office. Comes with a special set of ribbons and bookmarks and instructions on how to use them. It also give all the etiquette of the office: when to bow, make the sign of the cross, etc. Takes all the struggle out of it!

It is available through the Confraternity of Penitents gift shop. This link is directly to the book.
[/quote]

Here is a tutorial that helped me out greatly. The great thing is that it is free to download.

Simple Way Limited Partnership and Lay Apostolate

Scroll down, you want Discovering Prayer. It is short and very helpful.

Try these sources. I have found them very useful.

liturgyny.catholic.org/lithours.htm

prayday.com/A55691/web2/personalprayer.nsf

monksofadoration.org/audiolitw.html

The last one is a site with (semi)regularly updated recordings of the office, done by the monks of adoration. If you’ve only said the office by yourself it’s interesting to hear it done by them in a group. I listen to them sometimes while at my desk doing my work.

God bless-

[quote=mercygate]No need to worry about the Christmas season: we’ve passed Epiphany. Use the 4-week Psalter with its antiphons and take the rest from the common, except the prayer of the day (and the second reading for the Office of Readings, of course.).
[/quote]

BTW, According to the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar #33:

The season of Christmas runs from Evening Prayer I of Christmas until the Sunday after Epiphany or after 6 January, inclusive.

It is still the Christmas Season.

tee.

***Hmmm … … it appears we now have conflicting forum posts … ******and are back to the original question ! ***

Soooo …

YESTERDAY we celebrated the Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton WITHOUT Proper of Seasons Reading, Responsory and Intercessions.

TODAY we will celebrate the Memorial of Saint John Neumann WITH the Proper of Seasons Reading, Responsory and Intercessions. ( Wednesday - Ephiphany to Baptism of the Lord )

I know in my heart they are both pleasing to the Lord, but it would be so helpful to get a consensus.

Thanks to you all for your insights nonetheless !

Hmmm … … it appears we now have conflicting forum posts …

******and are back to the original question ! ***

This is a public forum, you will always have conflicting posts, you just have to figure out which advice to take.

Actually today is a confusing day. It depends on what you are going by. The official guide for today says you are supposed to use the Common of Pastors for St. John Neumann. According to the guide the Psalms should come from the Psalms for the day. The Readings (except for Office which can be in an appendix if book new enough) should come from the Wednesday Epiphany - Baptism readings or the common of pastors readings.

But if you follow what is written in the Common of Pastors itself. It says the Psalms and canticles should come from Sunday Week 1.

But the biggest thing to remember is that if you are a lay person you are not required to do anything. Any praying helps. Don’t be scrupulous in making sure you do the exact right thing. Chances are with the confussion there are lots of people praying the same thing as you no matter which way you do it. :wink:

[quote=Marauder] Actually today is a confusing day. . . . But** if you follow what is written in the Common of Pastors itself. It says the Psalms and canticles should come from Sunday Week 1**.
[/quote]

I believe that applies only if you are celebrating St. John Neumann as a feast – if it’s your parish or school . . . The rest of us observe it as a memorial.

. . . Don’t be scrupulous in making sure you do the exact right thing. Chances are with the confussion there are lots of people praying the same thing as you no matter which way you do it. :wink:

Wanting to learn the nuances to get it right isn’t scrupulosity. But you’re right: learn as you go!

[quote=mercygate]Y’all absolutely must get yourselves a copy of The Divine Office for Dodos (Devout, obedient, disciples of Our Savior) by Madeline Pecora Nugent. It is indispensable in learning to say the Divine Office. Comes with a special set of ribbons and bookmarks and instructions on how to use them. It also give all the etiquette of the office: when to bow, make the sign of the cross, etc. Takes all the struggle out of it!

[/quote]

Hello MercyGate, I just ordered this book and should have it by friday. I hope this helps. I pray the office 4 -5 times a week. Without the Guide I’ a little lost. I can get through it but it takes so much longer. I hope a clear explanation will help me navigate with less effort. I’ll let you know what I think of this book, thanks.

[quote=Michael C]Hello MercyGate, I just ordered this book and should have it by friday. I hope this helps. I pray the office 4 -5 times a week. Without the Guide I’ a little lost. I can get through it but it takes so much longer. I hope a clear explanation will help me navigate with less effort. I’ll let you know what I think of this book, thanks.
[/quote]

Good luck, Michael! But even the “pros” still use the Guide. Some things can be extremely confusing.

[quote=mercygate]Good luck, Michael! But even the “pros” still use the Guide. Some things can be extremely confusing.
[/quote]

I’ve posted these links before, but here they are again, for anyone who has not the 2005 Guide:

Guide to Christian Prayer

Guide to the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours

(I presume both are for the CBP products)

tee

I too get very confused so I have several Offices that I can use. When I go to my monastery (I am a novice Benedictine Oblate and have 2 Benedictine monasteries within about 10 miles of me - I’m blessed!) I can do the Office because everything has been set up for us.

I also have a book named the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary when is very nice and I use it occasionally. Extremely easy to use. And the Benedictines have publised a book called Work of God which has a shoter version of the Office but is still very good. In any case Compline is always the easiest to pray. But the alternative I like best is found at universalis.com and you can prayer the Office right there on your computer with no having to go back and forth in a book. No confusion at all. And it’s helpful as a way to learn your way around the prayer book.

Hope this helps.

[quote=mercygate]Y’all absolutely must get yourselves a copy of The Divine Office for Dodos (Devout, obedient, disciples of Our Savior) by Madeline Pecora Nugent.
[/quote]

My copy of this was delivered today and I’m hopeful that I can finally learn the way… I had bought my “Christian Prayer” book last year, but got so frustrated that I gave it away. Now I have to buy another one. An expensive lesson for me, I should have paid attention to the call I feel to pray this universal prayer of the Church.

[quote=trimont]My copy of this was delivered today and I’m hopeful that I can finally learn the way… I had bought my “Christian Prayer” book last year, but got so frustrated that I gave it away. Now I have to buy another one. An expensive lesson for me, I should have paid attention to the call I feel to pray this universal prayer of the Church.
[/quote]

Hi Trimont, I finished the book this weekend. It was very good. I learned alot of littel stuff. Especially about the roper of Saints and how these days change during the Octaves of Christmas and Easter. I always did Morning and evening prayers but never on the weekend. I never noticed there was no Saturday evening prayer. very interesting… I’m going to try 5 hours a day for a couple of weeks. This was a good book.

Not sure why my post doesn’t raise to the top?

Go for it, Trimont and Michael! I can’t believe you wailed through “Dodos” in a single weekend. You cheated, didn’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.