Liturgy of the Hours: I'm not a fan

You may find the General Introduction to the Lectionary (Second Edition) to be helpful in understanding the arrangement of readings at Mass, especially Chapters IV and V, particularly articles 64 through 69.

When the LOTH was promulgated in late 1970, an antiphonary of Gregorian chant adapted to it was promised “soon”.

It finally showed up on the Solesmes website in 2010, almost 40 years later… and that’s only the first volume (Vespers of Sundays, Feasts and Solemnities). I wrote to Solesmes and asked when the next volume would come out. “February of 2017” they said. I’m still waiting :confused:

The Vatican’s concept of time seems more like God’s than our own.

Hah, I think by February 2017, they meant February 2071, they just mixed the numbers up on accident. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Jesus speaks to us in a way that way we can understand. With that being said, I used to not be a fan of liturgy of the hours for the same reason. Then I read a book called Atomic Habits that said that unless we say, at this day, at this time I will do insert habit here we will not do the said habit.

Then I realized that the most sure way for me to have a prayer life was with the Liturgy of the hours. I think it is without doubt the best way to have an active prayer life because you know what prayer you will say at each time of each day and you know the entire church is praying it with you. If you want to pray in the morning and night it seems to be a sure way to have a deliberate scheduled prayer life. If there are other prayers that do that for you though then that is great too.

I used to pray the office daily sometimes more than once. I began with Phyllis Tickle and have used a Catholic breviary as well. My quiet time was very lengthy then. Often nearing three hours. I haven’t done it in a long while. I like the Church of England version. It was more compact and easier to use on the go. My prayer time leans more towards lectio and specific subjects as I’m led.

I concur that the Latin chant is lovely. I used to do it at home after spending time at the monastery and learning how.

That was in response to the new English translation of the Mass. However, since then, the Pope issued a motu proprio returning authority over translations back to the various bishops’ conferences. That raises the possibility of retranslating some of the text and overcoming some of the weaknesses of the current translation. It also has the potential to slow things down a lot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.