Liturgy Of The Hours Question

OK, I’m new at the LOTH. I’ve been using the DivineOffice app, and the Universalis website. A few days ago I bought myself the 4-volume set, and with the assistance of Seth Murray’s excellent “Discovering Prayer” (prayer.rosaryshop.com) I’ve pretty much worked out how to use it.

However, today (Tuesday 23 December) I have a conundrum. The three sources I have to consult re: the appropriate psalms for Midmorning Prayer all disagree!

The Divine Office app says “Complementary Psalter: 1091 (Series 1, Midmorning)”.

Universalis says “The psalms of the day are shown here, because the complementary psalms cannot be used today at this hour.”

The Liturgy of the Hours volume I says (on page 1077, after the current psalmody for Week IV, Monday Daytime Prayer) “At the other hours, the complementary psalmody from series II and III is used, 1193”.

Now the Divine Office app is clearly wrong, page 1091 isn’t even in the Complementary Psalter - they may have meant 1191 where the Complementary Psalter starts.

So that leaves me Universalis, which says that today we don’t use complementary psalms at this hour, or LOTH which says we do.

Can any clarify this for me? Thanks much for your help.

I have the 4 volume liturgy of the hours set but I use the divine office website to see what pages to use. I have gone on universalis but do not use it because it uses the Jerusalem Bible translation as opposed to the NAB-RE. It doesn’t match up very well with the 4 volume set in general and is more of a hassle for me than anything. I find it’s much easier to just use divine office since it is meant to match up to the 4 volume set.

As for the psalms, you use the current psalmody if you only pray one of the daytime hours. If you pray two or all of them then you use the current psalmody for one hour and the complementary psalmody for the other two hours. If you only are praying the mid-morning one then use the current psalmody but if you are praying two or all three then you can either use the current psalmody now or use the complementary psalmody for mid-morning and the current psalmody for one of the other two hours

use this

The Liturgy of the Hours volume I says (on page 1077, after the current psalmody for Week IV, Monday Daytime Prayer) “At the other hours, the complementary psalmody from series II and III is used, 1193”.

buy this

catholiccompany.com/st-joseph-guide-liturgy-hours-2014-p1033603/

Peace

Are you saying the Divine Office web site uses the NAB-RE?

Why not stick to the app? I use Universalis on IOS & OSX - it combines LOTH, Sunday & Daily missals, all already downloaded on your device. I only use the Divine Office app as a novelty because of the voice-overs but it is a pain to download everyday.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.