Liturgy of the hours - Week Numbers

I have a nice daily prayer book based upon the LOTH but it is spread over 4 weeks and I have no idea how to determine the current week. Please can somebody provide a simple reference to enable me to do this?
Thanks!

Look at what week we’re in for Sunday Mass. Now divide that number by 4 and look at the remainder.

Remainder = 1 means the first week of the Psalter.
Remainder = 2 means the second week of the Psalter.
Remainder = 3 means the third week of the Psalter.
Remainder = 0 means the fourth week of the Psalter.

This past Sunday was the 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Divide that by 3 and you end up with a remainder of 0 so we’re in the 4th week.

Next week is the 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Divide that by 3 and you have a remainder of 1. Hence we’ll be in the 1st week.

Why in the world does it have to be soooo complicated??? I read my Magnificat and that’s it. God Bless, Memaw

Counting to 4 isn’t really so complicated. :slight_smile: In my case, I use iBreviary and don’t really pay attention to the weeks. But if you want to know which week we’re in – as the OP did – this is it.

There should be a table or chart toward the front of one of the volumes to help you figure it out. There are certain key feasts that always mark a start to Week I, no matter Week you’re currently finishing; count forward from there. The most recent “anchor feast” was Pentecost. That week would be Week I; we’ve completed 3 weeks since June 4, therefore, we’re in the fourth week.

You can also get an annual guide for about $3…
catholicbookpublishing.com/list/category/annual+Guides

Note that the OP isn’t trying to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, but to use a prayer book that has a four-week cycle.

I was told there would be no math involved in Catholicism. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m with you Memaw! Too complicated. As soon as the numbers started needing to be divided, I tuned out. :wink:

I cheat. I go to the Universalis site and put in my calendar in the Settings section and check out the date on the side bar --no Math, and especially useful for things like Christmas and Easter where you’ll have week 1 twice in a row, or Advent when you skip from what would normally be week 3 back to week 1. Plus you can read the prayers in Latin!

No. This is incorrect – It is only coincidentally true this year.

Pentecost is not an “anchor feast” except in so far as it is the last day of the Easter Season. Ordinary time resumes on the succeeding Monday and by coincidence this year, resumed with the 9th week of Ordinary time (which is week I of the Psalter).

Next year, Pentecost will fall on 20-May-2018, and Ordinary time will resume on Monday 21-May-2018 with week 7 (Psalter week III). The following year, Pentecost will fall on 9-Jun-2019, Ordinary Time will resume on Monday 10-Jun-2018 with week 10 (Psalter week II).

What do act as “anchors” of a sort are the first Sundays in each Season: Advent, Ordinary Time, Lent, Easter – The first Sunday of each Season indicates week I of the Psalter (NB that Lent begins on a Wednesday – that and the succeeding days until Sunday are assigned to week IV of the Psalter).

To figure out the week of Ordinary Time after Pentecost, count backwards from the last week, which is of necessity week 34, and which kind of explains why a week of Ordinary Time often goes missing around the Lent/Easter time. This year it did not (we went from week 8 to week 9), but eg last year we went from week 5 to 7 with no week 6.

Or, liturgical books frequently have a table to summarize these data – Here is a handy example from the Bishops of England and Wales liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/Info/moveable.shtml

tee
Armchair Liturgical Calendar Nerd :nerd:

Ah! Thank you! This is what happens when I rely on a tired memory instead of checking the text right next to me. My apologies for that error, but I still say it’s an easy and valid way to figure the correct week (if you have the correct starting point!).

Many thanks :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.