Liturgy of the Hours

Hi,

I’ve been trying to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours. I have both the Universalis software as well as a subscription to EBreviary.

I like the EBreviary a lot better, because it seems to match the translation I know of, better, and it has the hymns, and tells you when to make the sign of the cross.

But it is missing Terce and None (mid-morning and mid-afternoon), but it does have mid-day.

I have heard the translation of Universalis is questionable, so I’m not so sure I should use it even for those two hours. Does anyone know where I can get a faithful translation online for those two hours?

I’m blind, so can’t get the actual Breviary. EBreviary has been so great. I’ve been able to braille out each of the offices so I can pray it wherever I want without having to use my computer. :slight_smile: It does waste a lot of paper though. :stuck_out_tongue:

My dear friend

I don’t know but perhaps ask an apologist your questions if you get no answer. Sorry to hear your blind too. I’ll keep you in my prayers in case you need it. What an experience your going to have when you see God for the first time.

May God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

So is EBreviary now complete? I had understood that the translations were incomplete, but that was some time ago (it’d be a huge undertaking!). Also, how does EBreviary’s translation stack up against the official ICEL translation (which, in some ways…well…stinks)?

Well, everything seems complete to me. They have all the psalms, antiphons, hymns, readings, and prayers. They are just missing the two hours I mentioned, and from their response to my inquiry on the matter, they don’t plan to fix that any time soon.

I have no idea about how the translation is though. However, I was on a retreat a few weeks ago, where they recited the Liturgy of the Hours, and I believe that EBreviary’s translation is very close to what they were reciting. That’s one of the reasons I really like it. I want to be able to follow along if I’m in a group like that again. I just got my braille embosser working the other day, so I didn’t get the opportunity to follow along when I was at the retreat.

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have any idea what I could do for this? I’ve been trying to search for a braille version of the Breviary, but have come up empty. Only things I can find are audio, and I don’t really want to do that because I can’t actually recite it myself then.

There must be something out there, but I can’t find it. Anyone know any other blind people who have prayed or are praying the Liturgy of the Hours?

I’m curious, how do you read the posts at this discussion forum?

Seeker, I would honestly just print the Universalis version in braille and use that.
There are some slight (very slight) departures in the Universalis website version, but for the most part it is very accurate.

I used the Universalis in conjunction with the Office when I first purchased it, because I was having a hard time (like most people) figuring out the order of things. Even with the Saint Joseph’s Guide, I was dazed and confused. It seemed I needed a guide for the guide…

Universalis was helpful in that I could match up the psalms, prayers etc. and know if I was in the right order and on the right day. After a week of using the LOH in conjunction with the Universalis website, I was able to stop using the website. The training wheels were off.

During that week or so, I found all the readings, psalms, etc. matched up almost perfectly with my hard copy of the Liturgy of the Hours. And I think for your purposes (laity) it would be more than accurate.

I suppose the other option would be to print out both (Universalis and eBreviary), and then just create a third version (your own version) using the Terce and None from Universalis and the rest from eBreviary… but that seems like an awful lot of work.

I took a quick look around the internet, as I’m sure you have already done, and can’t seem to find a braille version of the Breviary. Which seems pretty sad actually. There has got to be one somewhere… I’m sure there are blind clergy out there.

Thanks. Well I have a few concerns about Universalis.

I hear the translations are not approved. I read that they have their own translations of the psalms and such.

It is disappointing, because the owner of that site seems to have really good intentions. But I’m not so sure I should use it.

Also, I am discerning a vocation to the priesthood, so I do really want to figure this out for when I have to pray all the hours.

I use a screen reader called JAWS which speaks anything I’m trying to read.

With all due respect, I’d like to prevent the thread from being derailed, so if anyone has other questions about how I use the computer or anything else, please feel free to PM me.

Would you have to pray all the hours as a priest? I wouldn’t think that outside of a cloister you’d have to pray the minor hours, because then when would you have time to fulfill your other duties?

As far as Universalis goes, maybe you want to talk to your bishop about that. Even if Universalis isn’t approved, as long as it doesn’t contain heresies or anything, maybe you can get some sort of concession based on your particular needs.

There are audio clips of the divine office at divineoffice.org/ but they still do not have daytime prayer yet.

Thanks. Well from what I’ve read, priests are to pray the entire sequence of hours except for a serious reason. Two articles I read quoted the GILH, #29:

Bishops and priests, therefore, and other sacred ministers, who have received from the Church the mandate to celebrate the Liturgy of
the Hours, are to recite the whole sequence of Hours each day, preserving as far as possible the genuine relationship of the Hours to the time of day.
They are to give due importance to the Hours which are the two hinges on which this Liturgy turns, that is, Lauds as morning prayer and Vespers; let them
take care not to omit these hours, unless for a serious reason. They are also to carry out faithfully the Office of Readings, which is above all the liturgical
celebration of the Word of God. Thus, they will carry out daily that duty of welcoming into themselves the Word of God. That the day may be completely
sanctified, they will desire to recite the middle Hour and Compline, thus commending themselves to God and completing the entire Opus Dei before going
to bed.

However, I am confused because it makes no mention of the mid-morning or mid-afternoon offices. By “the middle hour,” I assume it means the mid-day hour. If it only requires those five, then it may not be a problem afterall.

It still really bothers me having to use my braille display attached to my computer to pray the offices, but right now that’s the only option I have. It takes up way too much paper (around 75-90 pieces of paper per day) to braille them all out. I was thinking if I brailled out the four-week cycle of the psalms, then the daily hymns, readings and prayers would not take up so much paper and would not be so time-consuming to prepare, but I don’t have access to an electronic version of the Psalter that is the approved translation for the Liturgy of the Hours.

Thanks for your suggestions. :slight_smile:

If there’s no Braille breviary, maybe therein lies part of your mission in the Church.

True enough. But I was thinking last night how large such a book surely must be. The one in print is huge already.

The Bible in braille is about 10-15 volumes of braille, and each volume is about 3 inches thick. I think the Breviary would be even larger? I’m wondering if it’d even be manageable. It certainly would not be very portable.

Well, each volume of my four-volume breviary is about 6 inches by 5 inches and a little over a couple thousand pages on onionskin paper (about 1 1/2 inches thick). The print is about 11 point (smaller for the rubrics). The one-volume breviary (which is missing the Office of Readings, and also – I think – the minor daytime hours) is about the same size. I don’t know much about Braille, but I can see how this would be a problem.

I still say you should ask your bishop about using Universalis. Have you communicated with EBreviary and asked them if they’re planning on doing the minor hours?

Thanks. I asked EBreviary, but they said they have higher priorities, such as translating into Spanish. They said they don’t plan to include the mid-morning and mid-afternoon prayer.

I’m hesitant about contacting the bishop, since I’m not under any obligation to pray the Liturgy of the Hours in the first place. Does that matter?

I’m thinking here. The psalms translation I’d definitely need, but the reading I can obtain since it is from the NAB, which is available online.

Unfortunately Universalis’s responsory versicle and concluding prayer do not match EBreviary, I don’t think. I don’t know if I could get those somewhere.

Here’s something…I just found the psalm translation online, I think. Or at least, everything I’ve compared so far is exactly the same. Here’s the first 41 psalms, and there are 4 more groups to complete them all.

Still, I’m missing the antiphons. :frowning: But something I just read on Wikipedia says the complementary psalms are always the same, so if I can obtain the antiphons for psalms 120-128, I should be OK there, too.

I would not have the hymn, but I hear it is optional.

So I could potentially obtain the antiphons for those 6 psalms I mentioned, and get the translation of the psalms themselves online. I could also obtain the reading. The only thing missing is the responsory versicle after the short reading, as well as the concluding prayer, as neither of those from Universalis seem to match the Breviary.

Still, that sort of brings me closer. Any recommendations for those two remaining obstacles?

It looks like the concluding prayer is the same every week? I mean the one for Monday is always the same on Mondays? That’s from what I’m seeing; I have no idea how it goes when not in ordinary time. It looks like it’s different for at least feasts and above. So that’d be complicated I guess.

I don’t see any pattern in the responsory versicles though.

Anyway that brings me a little closer I guess.

The Divine Office UK edition will soon be online, please contact for more info - [email]freecatholic@hotmail.co.uk[/email]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.