Liturgy of the Hours

I have trouble understanding the instructions published in the Guide. Specifically:
For August 22, Queenship of Mary [1338]
From Com of BVM 1628.
OOR 1152, Rd 131 & 1338, pr 1341
MP 1763,
Ps 1134, Pr 1338, Etc.

OK. I start on Page 1628 with the Invitatory and the OOR and the First Reading from the Prophet of Isaiah, then move to 1338 to for the second reading.

Here is my confusion: Since I have already prayed the OOR form the Com of BVM on pgs. 1628, why do the instruction in the Guide also list the "OOR 1152". This appears to me a duplication of the OOR for that day. Should both the OORs from 1628 and 1152 be read or can a person choose which one to read. Thank you for our help.

Try looking at www.universalis.com or www.divineoffice.org and see how they interpret the issue.

[quote="Gelnhausener, post:1, topic:296228"]
I have trouble understanding the instructions published in the Guide. Specifically:
For August 22, Queenship of Mary [1338]
From Com of BVM 1628.
OOR 1152, Rd 131 & 1338, pr 1341
MP 1763,
Ps 1134, Pr 1338, Etc.

OK. I start on Page 1628 with the Invitatory and the OOR and the First Reading from the Prophet of Isaiah, then move to 1338 to for the second reading.

Here is my confusion: Since I have already prayed the OOR form the Com of BVM on pgs. 1628, why do the instruction in the Guide also list the "OOR 1152". This appears to me a duplication of the OOR for that day. Should both the OORs from 1628 and 1152 be read or can a person choose which one to read. Thank you for our help.

[/quote]

We pray only one OOR (we won't consider the anticipation on the night before kind of thing) so there's no need to duplicate at all.

First principle we must understand: the Queenship of Mary is a Memorial, therefore, the rubrics governing memorials apply.

For the Office of Readings, OOR 1152 means, you recite the Psalms and Antiphons for Wednesday, Week IV.

The first Reading is from Isaiah (Rd 131) and the second one from the Memorial (Rd 1338) as you correctly did.

In this case, there was only one other item for the OOR you could have taken from the Common, and that is the Hymn. Because it was a Memorial, you recite the Psalms and antiphons from the weekday, not the Common.

porthos11 brings up a very important point about the rubrics. It is important to read and understand that the structure of Sundays, Solemnities, Feasts, Memorials, and Weekdays are different. In my one-volume Christian Prayer the General Principles begin on page 34 and the Format of the Offices is on page 37. It was not until I read these instructions that I found out I was doing it all wrong...

Got it and thanks for the response.:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.