‘Liturgy shaming’ is a growing internet phenomenon. But is it a vice or a

IMO, it comes down to intention.

Do they want to defend the Mass and the Eucharist, and the inherent sanctity thereof? Or, do they want to just roast the modernists and ‘libs’?

@USAFwife , I am not aware that liturgy shaming is a growing internet problem . That may be because I don’t have anything to do with stuff like Facebook , Twitter , etc .

Where I have seen the phenomenon on forums such as this it is usually a rehash of the same hoary old chestnuts like the Clown Mass .

If there is alleged liturgical abuse it ought to be reported to the bishop not published on Facebook .

There is also the issue of the sins of calumny and detraction .

Yeah, that makes sense. There’s a difference between calling out liturgical abuses and attacking the ones who commit these abuses.

That article is almost 2 years old, isn’t it?

I actually attended one as a young kid at a Catholic grade school mass at the end of the school year. You know what, I remember it to this day and it was a positive thing for me. You don’t create attachment to something by beating it into someone, especially with our freer and more equitable society. Most people respond to vulnerability from and creating attachment to their Priests. Otherwise you risk them seeing communion as a weekly mandatory ritualized robotic magic show. Sorry to be that blunt and sacrilegious about communion, but that is the reality.

…and also being hung up them.

@PJH_74 , I appreciate your strong feelings , and you put them well .

It is good to hear from someone who has had first-hand experience .

Nobody in a chasuble ought to consider having his public behavior made more public a matter of being “shamed,” but I think it is wrong to publish a bootleg recording of anyone’s religious observances to the whole world without the permission of religious authorities. Make the recording, sending it to religious authorities who might find it concerning is one thing, but I would go so far as to say it is out of place to record even a wedding without the consent and direction of the priest who officiating (and the pastor, if those are different people.) It is a matter of respect.

I’d also roughly guess that this kind of recording is published out of approval rather than disapproval, as often as not. If I had to vote, I’d vote for approval of novelty being a more likely reason to record a liturgy in this way.

Thanks! As kids I and my extended family had a strong relationship with the particular Priest who said the clown mass at St. Agnes in Butler WI. He was the associate so he would have required approval to do this. I actually invited him to my wedding 21 years after we moved away. This was really an honorary thing, but none the less I did it as a thinks.

His Obituary

I can see the concerns of those who believe that some “liturgy shamers” are out to simply get one up on those who would use this tactic as a method to sow division in the Church, but at the same time, the priests who perpetuate these abuses bring this kind of attack and ridicule upon themselves, and have only themselves to blame in the end. If you don’t want to be “shamed” on the Internet for making a mockery of the mass, then don’t…make a mockery of the mass. Priests should supposedly know better than to ride a scooter down the aisle, have interpretive dancing during the consecration, or decorate the sanctuary with memorabilia from their local sports team, but then and again some clergy need to be reminded by more orthodox clergy and often even more orthodox laypersons that this is not in keeping with the solemn character of the mass.

I agree that the bishop/diocese should be the first to be notified, but often the parishes perpetuating these abuses advertise them more blatantly than those doing the “liturgy shaming”, so usually someone posting these pictures is just taking them from a parish’s Facebook page or website and pointing out the obvious problems. And maybe a little public shaming is exactly what some priests and/or parishes need in order to be woken up to the reality that what they are doing is wrong, and may even sometimes be the catalyst that forces a bishop to take action. As children are taught when they are young, sometimes bad actions and decisions have consequences that we don’t like.

The Catholic response to liturgical abuses is first complain to the pastor. If that does not succeed in stopping abuses, contact his supervisor, and if needed, all the way to the appropriate department at the Vatican.

Each step would prepared by prayers, and no pleasure in any kind of “victory”, as discreet as possible.

The secular approach is what is described above. They do it with pleasure. The enemies of the Church love it when Catholics trash Catholics.

It’s a 2-year-old news article, and frankly other than this forum and various traditional Catholic forums, I’ve seen nothing to indicate this is a growing phenomenon.

Most people aren’t even at Mass and a whole lot of people don’t care.

Also, some of the stuff we’ve seen, such as the “flying monstrance”, was probably shameworthy.

Had a Franciscan Friar friend who used to quip…“The difference between a terrorist and a liturgist is that you can negotiate with a terrorist!”

It’s also a civil copyright violation . . .

i don’t know whether the dissemination to the world is unauthorized preaching on the part of the disseminate; I’ll leave that to the local bishop.

As far as “shaming”, I’ve really had enough of call-out culture, and the assorted things labeled “shaming”. Clickbait and worse . . .

hawk

Yes. If you have a problem with your brother, take it to him privately first, then with a few witnesses, then involve the Church. You don’t publicize what you think is a fault to the whole world, excepting instances such as when the matter is political in nature and the general public actually does have a legitimate reason to know that particular information in order to make prudential decisions as a voter and a participant in political life.

I am wondering, what was the bishop’s response to the liturgical dancing?

X1000. If you are not doing anything to be ashamed of, then it’s not a problem, is it?

Once you open a door, others with very different agendas will go through that same door. There are those who regard the Latin Mass as shameful. In fact they would regard as liturgical abuse any O F Mass that women are excluded to concelebrate. They will make working class, rebel shame videos.

There are others who regard as liturgical abuse any Mass that includes blasphemy such as crucifixes, “sacrificing” Jesus yet again, etc. They will make shame videos too.

Others say any Mass that allow women as EMHC or lectors to be liturgical abuse, as opening the door to concupiscence. Their shaming videos will depict high heels, tight dresses and makeup, in luring color, on the altar for temptation.

There are no Masses, anywhere, that some people could not make a shame video about.

Please, don’t open this door.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.