Live the new Beatitudes, Pope preaches at Mass in Sweden [CWN]

On the final day of his two-day apostolic journey to Sweden, as Pope Francis celebrated the Mass of All Saints Day he suggested a new set of Beatitudes for today’s Christians.

More…

So does this mean the pope is adding to sacred scripture?

yeah. Christ’s Beautitudes don’t say it all. :rolleyes:

This pope is full-on reckless. What can be said–already too much is said. I wish he would just be quiet. He makes it so much harder for those of us who try to extend the Faith. I definitely feel muzzled by his obscurantism.

Not even close and I think it’s disingenuous of you to make such a suggestion.

Let’s just take a look at what Pope Francis has said and compare it with Matthew 5 and other scriptures…

Blessed are those who remain faithful while enduring evils inflicted on them by others, and forgive them from their heart.

10] "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. [11] "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. [12] Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Blessed are those who look into the eyes of the abandoned and marginalized, and show them their closeness.

***Luke 10:[29] But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” [30] Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. [31] Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. [32] So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. [33] But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, [34] and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. [35] And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, `Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ [36] Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” [37] He said, “The one who showed mercy on him.” And Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.” ***

Blessed are those who see God in every person, and strive to make others also discover him.

John 8:[2] Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. [3] The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst [4] they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. [5] Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?” [6] This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. [7] And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” [8] And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. [9] But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. [10] Jesus looked up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” [11] She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again."
(Cont’d)

Blessed are those who protect and care for our common home.

Matthew 5:[5] "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

**Psalm 24: [1] The earth is the LORD’s and the fulness thereof,
the world and those who dwell therein; [2] for he has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the rivers.

***1st Corinthians 10:[26] For “the earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.” ***

Blessed are those who renounce their own comfort in order to help others.

***John 15:[13] Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ***

Blessed are those who pray and work for full communion between Christians.

***John 17:[20] "I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, [21] that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, [23] I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that thou hast sent me and hast loved them even as thou hast loved me. ***

All these are messengers of God’s mercy and tenderness, and surely they will receive from Him their merited reward.

***Matthew 5:[7] "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

[FONT=Georgia]So then anyone who reads their Bible can easily see that these “new beatitudes” are simply Pope Francis laying out for us all the very same principles of scripture. I think it’s a wise and very Christ-like way of restating the teachings of Christianity in this modern age.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]We would all be very wise to listen…
[/FONT]

:thumbsup: AMEN!! The Pope is not saying something new. He is saying something ancient and Christian, in a new way which is relevant to today’s hearers, to whom he is charged with teaching the Gospel of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.