Live Tweets of Dolan-Colbert humor panel at Fordham

There is a media blackout on this event: a panel on faith and humor at Fordham University with Timothy Cardinal Dolan and Comedy Central’s Stephen Colbert. But attendees are live-tweeting with the hashtag #dolancolbert, so seek on Twitter and ye shall find.

Ha ha! I’ll bet they are hilarious. :slight_smile: Thanks for posting

I hope someone posts a complete transcript in the coming days!

A Comedian and a Cardinal Open Up on Spirituality

The comedian Stephen Colbert and Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan of New York bantered on stage Friday night before 3,000 cheering, stomping, chanting students at Fordham University, in what may have been the most successful Catholic youth evangelization event since Pope John Paul II last appeared at World Youth Day.

The evening was billed as an opportunity to hear two Catholic celebrities discuss how joy and humor infuse their spiritual lives. They both delivered, with surprises and zingers that began the moment the two walked onstage. Mr. Colbert went to shake Cardinal Dolan’s hand, but the cardinal took Mr. Colbert’s hand and kissed it — a disarming role reversal for a big prelate with a big job and a big ring.

The event would not have happened without its moderator, the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and prolific author who has made it his mission to remind Catholics that there is no contradiction between faithful and funny. His latest book is “Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life.”

The Cardinal Meets Colbert…and Both Meet Fordham
AUTHOR: JAMES MARTIN, S.J.
(Fr. Martin was the moderator of the panel)

If you were in the Bronx last night, that rumbling sound you heard was not an earthquake, or even an especially loud subway car rolling past, it was the sound of 3,000 Fordham students, faculty, Jesuits and guests cheering for Timothy Cardinal Dolan, the archbishop of New York, and Stephen Colbert, the host of “The Colbert Report,” who met for a much-anticipated conversation about the place of joy and humor in the spiritual life. Fordham had invited me to moderate the discussion, called “The Cardinal and Colbert,” which I was delighted to do. Actually, “delighted” is an understatement. “Overjoyed” is better, and in this case entirely appropriate.

He has appended his opening remarks.

If it shows up on YouTube, i would ask that someone would post it here! :stuck_out_tongue:

If it shows up on YouTube, it is very likely to be a copyright violation, and that should not be encouraged by reposting it anywhere. I do not know if the media blackout meant it would never be released, or if it only applied to live coverage, but time will tell.

The above transcript of Fr. Martin is legitimate as posted by the priest himself.

Cardinal Dolan’s remarks

blog.archny.org/index.php/humor-joy-and-the-spiritual-life

Interview Fordham students after the Colbert, Cardinal Dolan conversation

youtube.com/watch?v=y5qc_NCCa6c

A Cardinal, a Jesuit, and a Comedian Walk into a Bar….

catholicmoraltheology.com/dolancolber

Fr James Martin’s rremarks

americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&entry_id=5356

“Humor, Joy, and the Spiritual Life” Animation

ATTN: Popular Media fans! This is a YouTube video animation made especially for the event. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.