Liverpool deli owner hanged himself after rabbis made him paint over kosher symbol on store’s sign

(JTA) — The owner of the deli that was the main outlet for kosher food in Liverpool, England, was “completely broken” after being forced to paint over the sign identifying the store as kosher.

Hours later, Robert Kaye hanged himself.

Kaye owned Roseman’s Delicatessen in Liverpool as well as Gough’s Deli in Manchester. He was found dead on June 18 after it became public that he had been selling nonkosher meat for seven years at Roseman’s and was stripped of his kashrut licenses, the Manchester Evening News reported.

I’m still finding out about this story, one of the cubicle workmates is from Israel and it seems to be a fairly important story, heartbreaking.

And a real tragedy, I’m sorry he decided on this option. It seems unnecessary, it seems a bit like losing face in the far East. This happened last Summer but… the details must be coming out now.

Prayers for his soul.

If he were misleading observant Jewish customers into thinking they were purchasing kosher meat when they actually weren’t, I can see that being pretty serious.

3 Likes

It doesn’t pay to lie and deceive, especially in business. I wonder why he went that route?

My guess is that the business was having money problems. It’s likely way cheaper to purchase non-kosher meat than to pay for all the procedures and special handling associated with kosher meat.

2 Likes

Yea, I found the headline misleading.

2 Likes

This is very sad, both for the family of the now passed, and for what the now passed person did.

Kashrut laws are extremely serious, and just guessing by the title, it seems that this was a Glatt Kosher store. Glatt Kosher foods are they most heavily regulated and ensured to be Kosher by all standards. So I understand why the Rabbis made the owner cover up the Kashrut symbol.

2 Likes

True, I worked somewhere once that used to buy kosher salt and it was a lot more expensive.

1 Like

Very, very sad but . . .

We opted out of the whole business by taking the vegetarian route a long, long time ago, so this sort of situation is of little immediate consequence.

Meanwhile, while sympathy is there, it’s very wrong to mislead people who are heavily invested in the dietary laws and who are counting on you to do the right thing.

Being observant is difficult enough, even for those of us who are adept at dancing around the rules.

Whether the Commission’s people might have handled it better, is another matter.

[edited to add an ‘are’]

1 Like

I don’t see how this isn’t of “immediate consequence”. This store was selling Treif (non-Kosher) meats to observant Jews. This is one of the worst transgressions one can commit, not only sinning yourself, but causing another to sin as well.
I don’t know a single Orthodox family who is completely vegan/vegetarian.

3 Likes

I think this is a hard story to write or maybe a hard story to write a headline for.

Some other headlines on this, left out the part about the Rabbi declaring it wrong and actually, I"ve seen people think it was about an attack because “Rabbis” was not in the heading. They didn’t take time to read the story.

And for me, even with my very basic knowledge on all of this, the story is really so different than others I have seen about ever. But that’s just me.

Fine observation. I know somewhat little about the subject matter though, I do have a friend who would know a lot about this and might ask about, the next time we talk.

Eating meat is not compulsory.

I know it’s not compulsory, I just don’t know any families that have fully incorporated it.

I didn’t shout at you, and if it came across as such, I apologize.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.