Living a Life of Poverty

The more I read the Bible, and after reading a book titled: The Irresistible Revolution the more I feel called to lead a life of poverty and complete dependence in God. One thing I know is very important for any life in Christ is community.
The problem is I’m having a hard time finding Catholic communities who live the life I’m feeling called too.

Does anyone know of any communities that practice poverty and evangelize people as well?

Blessings!

Every community, every where, have people living the kind of life you are describing. They choose to live a life that is devoted to Christ, shuns materialistic things and serves the community around them. Probably in your life you have known people like this. In most parishes there are groups of people you can join who devote themselves to helping others. SVP have volunteers who serve the poor in a variety of ways. If you are looking you will see a great need all around you for people like you want to be. God bless you Abbagail.

[quote="Abbagail, post:1, topic:312528"]

Does anyone know of any communities that practice poverty and evangelize people as well?

Blessings!

[/quote]

Missionaries of Charity and Lay Missionaries of Charity - Mother Teresa's order

Blessings to you.

Get a good spiritual director if you do not already have one, and contact your diocesan vocations director to talk to them about where you feel called.

[quote="mountee, post:2, topic:312528"]
Every community, every where, have people living the kind of life you are describing. They choose to live a life that is devoted to Christ, shuns materialistic things and serves the community around them. Probably in your life you have known people like this. In most parishes there are groups of people you can join who devote themselves to helping others. SVP have volunteers who serve the poor in a variety of ways. If you are looking you will see a great need all around you for people like you want to be. God bless you Abbagail.

[/quote]

Really? Where are they? What are their names? I've moved overseas and around the USA, and I see a great lack of communities. When I bring up poverty and the Great Commission people look at me like I'm crazy or give me excuses...In parishes I see people saying one thing and living another. Where is the community of Acts? Where are the St. Pauls and St. Francis' of our day. I know very few people who take the Gospel seriously.

QUOTE=1ke;10282133]Get a good spiritual director if you do not already have one, and contact your diocesan vocations director to talk to them about where you feel called.
I don't have one, but I've been thinking about this. The problem is I move around quite a lot. :confused:

torfranciscans.org/

Peace

Lay Missionaries of Charity - laymc.com/

Look into the Lay Missionaries of Charity. Even if there is not an LMC group near you, this may be an option for you.

Don't worry that you move a lot. If God is calling you to this type of service/living, He will help you connect with others as you move. Sometimes, we slowly hear our call and gradually make our way along a curving path.

The Franciscans:)

If you are a lay person, you can live so that you have possessions, but they don’t have you.

I highly recommend the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. They are 100% authentic Franciscans and live according to the Gospel as St. Francis intended.

Thanks everyone for the links to religous sisters. But I am also wondering about lay communities. I’m going to be looking into the ones suggested on here. :slight_smile:

You might want to look at the Brothers and Sisters of Charity at Little Portion Hermitage and Monastery in Arkansas.

littleportion.org/index.cfm?active=1

Brothers and Sisters of Penance of St. Francis: bspenance.org/
Confraternity of Penitents: penitents.org/
Tau Maria Franciscans: taumariafranciscans.org/

[quote="Abbagail, post:10, topic:312528"]
Thanks everyone for the links to religous sisters. But I am also wondering about lay communities. I'm going to be looking into the ones suggested on here. :)

[/quote]

Have you looked into communities such as university students? They can be found worldwide, and are well-known for their lives of poverty living off of ramen noodles, wearing poor clothing, and relying on God their student loan application goes through so they can make rent.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.