Living as a Catholic, when I'm not one yet

I plan to start RCIA in September. In the meantime, I don’t know what to do about the birth control issue. I am extremely overweight, and am taking care of it through diet and exercise. But I worry about becoming pregnant while this heavy, and am scared to try NFP until I’m at a healthier weight. I feel like God would forgive me for using birth control until I actually start RCIA or become Catholic. Am I wrong?:confused:

Contraception is an intrinsic evil.

If you contracept **knowing **it is morally wrong, you are culpable for that.

To contracept, knowing it is wrong, while intending to confess it later is an additional gravely wrong act of presumption.

We are accountable for what we know and what we do with that knowledge.

You can learn NFP and you can use it even if you are overweight. You can also choose to abstain completely for a while.

God must be placing this on your heart for a reason.

Have you and your husband discussed placing your fertility in the Hands of God the Creator?

We trust all things to God, even our fertility.

Look at information on these websites.

Pray and discern.

God’s rules are for all people, not just those who call themselves Catholic.

Even those who do not believe in God can see the beauty of NFP and health benefits (over harmful hormones) and the effectiveness of child spacing over contraception.

If your contraception fails this month, how will you feel? How will your husband feel?

Couple to Couple League ccli.org/

One More Soul onemoresoul.com/

May God bless you and your husband on this journey.

The moral prohibition on contraception is derived from the natural law and not from Church law. Everyone who uses artificial contraception commits a sin. What you are saying is logically equivalent to “I feel like God would forgive me for remaining in my adulterous relationship until I actually start RCIA or become Catholic.”

I concur with the prior posts. Until the 1930s, even protestant Christians taught the evil of birth control. Regardless, whether one is in RCIA does not alter Truth. It is wonderful that you are asking these questions, though … these forums helped me when I was wading across the Tiber!

Even though NFP might be a bit more difficult to deal with than just taking a pill, I would say the benefits are worth it. And from the figures I’ve seen, it is just as, if not more, effective than the pill, and not to mention it is likely healthier.

But note that use of the pill for medical reasons is permissible, so if that is the reason you have been taking the pill, you are not required to stop. If your intention isn’t to get pregnant, then it is not permissible.

This would be like sinning because you know that you could just go to confession at a later date and be forgiven. While it’s feasible that you would be genuinely contrite at that time when you get to confession (and indeed, this would be between you and God), I think this sort of attitude calls the genuineness of one’s contrition into question. One does not avoid sin and indulge when one “can.” One avoids sin because all sin offends God - especially coming from those who know God’s will. If you are thinking about becoming Catholic, I imagine that you believe in God to some degree at least. Think about what the implications of believing in God entail; would it be right to find a way around His laws?

I hope I don’t sound harsh. My father is a nominal Catholic who claims that receiving the Eucharist sacrilegiously isn’t a big deal - but what is the point in receiving the Eucharist in a state that would offend God? If you believe in God, would you want to do that? I hope it does not sound like I am calling anyone’s belief into question, because that is not my intention. I am more commenting on how the rationalizing of sin should not square with belief.

Honestly there are times when I am not in a state of grace but have not yet made a confession, and the desire to sin crosses my mind at those points because, hey, I have to make a confession either way. But that really isn’t what’s at stake. You aren’t trying to maximize the amount of sin that you can get away with while still within “formal” moral acceptability; you are trying to express the greatest love for God and His will. Maximize love, not sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.