Living as a Catholic with OCD

Hi. This is very difficult for me to post publicly, largely because of the generally-patronizing attitude towards Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I need some help with it. I have OCD, and as a Catholic progressing in RCIA closing on baptism, it is causing me alot of difficulty with my faith. For those who don’t know about the more intricate nature of OCD, it gives the mind of it’s victim unwanted thoughts all day, and then keeps them in the person’s mind by making them obsess over them. It then creates ways to deal with the anxiety caused by those obsessions, illogical rituals called compulsions that are often very detailed and usually just cause even more anxiety but are very hard to resist.

As a Catholic, this makes my spiritual life very hard. All day, I get unwanted thoughts such as doubts about my faith, immoral thoughts or images, or negative emotions that OCD keeps in my mind continuously through forced obsession. For example, I will have some sort of pain, and not only will my mind instantly get the doubt that because I have pain, it means God doesn’t exist (I know, it is totally irrational), it will obsessively keep that doubt in my mind and give me other unwanted doubts as to why it’s true. This will make me anxious, cause compulsions, etc. This goes on with me all day.

Please, I need the prayers of the great Catholics and non-Catholics here. I need my Lord Jesus Christ’s help desparately with my illness. I am trying to help it myself, in any way I can, but that is often just not enough - I need God’s help. So if everyone can please give me their prayers, perhaps our voice lifted up to God will pour down his grace onto me. I ask my wonderful Virgin Mother Mary to intercede for me in this prayerful request.

Offer your suffering to Jesus in this way: “O my Jesus, I offer this for love of You, for the conversion of sinners, and for the relief of the souls in Purgatory.”

Focusing on something can help relieve the suffering, and there is nothing better to focus on than God. Meditate on Christ Jesus in His Mysteries, especially His Passion. This will also help you have true contrition and help you be more devoted to the Holy Eucharist and to the Virgin who suffered with Jesus at Calvary.

If you should be tempted, flee at once to Jesus and ask for the intercession of the saints, especially the Virgin Mary. The devils dare not attack Christ. Cling to Him however long they should ever keep up their assualt and keep praying for help, and be assured that the length of the temptation is the measurement of your fidelity, for God permits your fidelity to be tested, and the more you are victorous, the more He is pleased and give you graces.

Fear nothing, anxiety is useless. Trust in Jesus, even if you shoul feel nothing. Allow Him to help you let go of your emotions, for they are not trustworthy. They are not constant. But He is. Cling to Him, this is the Christian life. Unity to Christ ought to be the center of your life. With, through, and in Jesus you can do all things, even the impossible. Trust in Him.

Ask Mary to obtain for you whatevrer you need, because she now exists to obtain for you graces. If you seek reconciliation, ask her to pray for you. If you seek food, ask her to pray for you. Whatever you need, go to Jesus through Mary.

Jesus I ask Your strength and peace for this courageous person who deals with so much every day. How moved You must be that Your child daily struggles to rise above such difficult challenges in every waking moment.

My thought immediately went to the Fourth Song of the Suffering Servant, Isaiah’s prophesy of the sufferins of Jesus, of the contempt He would face, and of the great reward for offering His struggle to the Father, the reward of many souls saved. In the footsteps of Jesus, you follow. You might like to take to Yourself the last lines of Isaiah 52, and all of Isaiah 53 (verses 1-12)

I salute you for your courage in responding to God’s grace again and again each day of your life.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

May your mind be filled with peace and you have the strength to rise above the difficulties particular to OCD.

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord, I pray that scameter18 can get some help with her OCD. Maybe she could take a medicine that works for other people with OCD. It would beat going through the pain and suffering she experiences all day. If she can’t take the medicine for some reason or if it doesn’t work all that well, I pray that she endures courageously, lovingly, and patiently with a strong devotion to you in the Blessed Sacrament and to prayer. May she remain fixed in her love for you and focus her thoughts on you whenever those obsessive thoughts and images come to taunt her. May she talk with her Guardian Angel when assailed with obsessive thoughts and images and ask him to focus her attention on just loving you. Please help scameter18 to conquer her illness with a strong fervent love of you and with the help of medicine, if taking medicine for OCD isn’t a problem with her. Let her know that the OCD medicine has helped numerous souls and could possibly help her a lot. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Jesus please give Your strength and peace for this courageous person who deals with so much every day. How moved You must be that Your child daily struggles to rise above such difficult challenges in every waking moment.

God bless you for your courage in responding to God’s grace again and again each day of your life!

Continued prayers for your intentions….

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls into Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.

Thank you so much everyone for your prayers. I do need them. :slight_smile:

Our wonderful Father loves you so very much…He has blessed you with courage and humility…please realize what a special child of God you are…may our divine Physician, Jesus, heal you from all your fears.May our Holy Spirit enrich your life and support you each moment…God bless you…

Dear Lord heal scammetter of this ocd problem. Lord strengthen scammetter with your love and and your goodness . Let scammetter be Christlike and banish all of this illness and do not let anxiety, stress, these impulsive thoughts and compulsive behaviour into her life. Lord let scammeter be healed of , anxiety, stress and ocd.thanks be to you LORD GOD, LORD thanks for doing this ,in Jesus’s name I pray , amen. Scammeter never give in. Pray incessantly. , John

Praying for you scameter18…

Continued prayers for your intentions….

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come; Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls into Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.