Living Like Christ, But Not Being a Pushover

Hello,

I had a quick question that I've noticed about me. Mainly, how does one live like Christ (show love, mercy, kindness, etc.) to others without being a pushover? Is it even possible? Or will it happen, and you must just live it with it.

I ask because I've noticed this in relationships I have with friends, co-workers, etc. It seems that the nicer you are to some people, the more you try to talk to them, relate to them, love them, the more they don't like you. I realize that some people may have psychological issues and push any sort of love out, but for the average person how should one live?

This is especially important for me as a younger guy. I've noticed a trend with young men to be "tough" and put up defenses right away. I don't and haven't ever been like this. Because of a good nature, they reject you as weak and a sissy.

So, how does one live like Christ without having people walk all over you? I'm not talking about letting people take blatatnt, direct advantage of you, but so they can see Christ working through you in a loving but not pushover sort of way?

Thanks!

[quote="bmw8901, post:1, topic:180264"]
Hello,

I had a quick question that I've noticed about me. Mainly, how does one live like Christ (show love, mercy, kindness, etc.) to others without being a pushover? Is it even possible? Or will it happen, and you must just live it with it.

[/quote]

No only must you "put up with it" but you should rejoice in it.
Do you think that St Pul was a "push-over? St Peter?

It takes more courage and strength to be Christlike than the world could ever know.

I ask because I've noticed this in relationships I have with friends, co-workers, etc. It seems that the nicer you are to some people, the more you try to talk to them, relate to them, love them, the more they don't like you. I realize that some people may have psychological issues and push any sort of love out, but for the average person how should one live?

Do not seek to live as an "average person" The only people in heaven are Saints. This is your goal.

This is especially important for me as a younger guy. I've noticed a trend with young men to be "tough" and put up defenses right away. I don't and haven't ever been like this. Because of a good nature, they reject you as weak and a sissy.

Give it time. The older you all get, the more mature will be most of their attitudes. Right now these fellows are out "struttin' and ruttin'" as most young males will do.

Stick to your principles.

As an aside, I felt much like this as well when I was younger. I was never a fighter, partier, not good at sports etc, and a bit shy so I know how you feel. Hang in there times will get better.

So, how does one live like Christ without having people walk all over you? I'm not talking about letting people take blatatnt, direct advantage of you, but so they can see Christ working through you in a loving but not pushover sort of way?

Thanks!

The strengths that you show in living a Christlike life will be those of being a good friend, always ready to help, not keeping score of who helped who or who harmed who. Read Pauls letter to the Corinthians about Love (Sorry I don't remember the chapter and verse.) It's the one about Love is gentle Love is kind.......

Hope some of this helps.

Peace
James

This is just a quick point that I would so like to make; if you were in anyway like Christ, you would be far from a push over.

I don’t think Jesus was a push-over or gentle when it came to confronting injustice or hypocrisy. They crucified Him for it but on the other hand, they never could take advantage of Him. He Himself said, “Be as cunning as a snake and as innocent as doves.” I think that sums up the love with firmness issue nicely.

As for temperamentally gentle, I think that is just a matter of working on balancing temperament. Unfortunately I have the temperament of a bull-dog and very impatient (evident by the number of times I apologize on this forum :blushing:) I’ve been working on that for years. Not there yet. My husband is a very gentle soul and hates conflict. (We have made quite the pair!) But he has gotten much better with being firm and confronting well when necessary. Took us both years to get these to a reasonable level! Practice, practice, practice… imperfectly always.

Saints by the way, all have their temperaments and some were definitely not gentle or kind.

Just a note on the Bolded part. While some saints may not have been gentle, I’d say they were all kind. It may not have been a worldly kindness. It may well have been “Tough Love”. But it was Loving Kindness none the less.

Peace
James

Wow, very close to home with me on this one. I’ve had a tremendous amount of tribulations this year, and the people I’ve encountered, always played the Christian card at first, only to find out they were anything else but that, so have done their best to take advantage of me in very way.

I love that quote on the snake and the dove, it’s just perfect.

Thank you so much!!! Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.